Thread: Article: Review - Crystar #11

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Article: Review - Crystar #11

Nice review!

I kind of like the writing in this issue, not so much for the characterization of the Alphans, but because I have a fondness for that long-winded fantasy-world exposition. The hint that Puck's adventures took him beyond the confines of Earth was also a nice touch.

Also, Northstar's reaction to Crystar makes me that much more certain that the other writers at Marvel knew he was supposed to be gay from the get-go. He's his usually snarky self until the buff, sparkly guy in the chainmail shows up, then he's all "Well...perhaps we can help." See the before and after below.

Just sayin'...

On a more shallow note, this is the worst hair Northstar has ever had under any artist. Yes, even worse than the 90's mullet.
    Last edited by suzene; 12-11-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Images

Thanks... if only I could be so concise now.

Oh, the other writers knew - it is written, and in places far older than this. (Okay, not older.)

- Le Messor
    "I demand a salary commiserate with my extensive experience."
    ~ alleged job application

I LOVED The Saga of Crystar, Crystal Warrior back in the day! And while some of it may not necessarily stand the test of time, I always thought that it was a great read! While I was disappointed by its cancellation, I was absolutely thrilled by the appearance of Alpha Flight in the final issue! (It seemed that it was a time when Alpha Flight appeared in a lot of other titles in the Marvel Universe, including Marvel Team-Up Annual and Rom, Spaceknight...) I am a little surprised that Marvel hasn't released the entire series in some form of collected editions, especially as they own the rights to the characters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BillyTheDragon View Post
    (It seemed that it was a time when Alpha Flight appeared in a lot of other titles in the Marvel Universe, including Marvel Team-Up Annual and Rom, Spaceknight...)
    It's a little ironic to me that two of the titles in question (Rom, Spaceknightand Crystar) are licensed works, not MU series.

There was, of course, Alpha Flight Classics v.1, but #2 never happened. OTOH, I've just found out that Power Pack Classics v.3 exists, the only way I've found out any Power Pack Classics exists - by looking for it on the shelf at the LCS. So maybe the AF one will be released with no fanfare?

- Le Messor
    "I live on a one-way dead-end street."
    ~ Steve Wright

Nice job.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/