Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Article: November sales figures - Chaos War: Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I will cut this one slack. Isn't it - at least - a one shot only?
    Not according to the solicits, it's up to issue #3.
    Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Wolverine: The Best There Is #3! The most shocking Wolverine series continues!
    Even if he manages to slice and dice his way through Slaughter, Suicide, Scavengers, and Yi Yang, he still has to face Contagion, the foe who becomes stronger every time he’s killed! How will Logan fight his way out of this one? Find out this January in the most shocking Wolverine ongoing in years, Wolverine: The Best There Is #3!

Wolverine has two ongoing series and is on three teams, the X-Men, the Avengers, and X-Force. Excessive, yes, but not nearly as bad as it used to be. Also, Wolverine: The Best There Is really, really sucks while his normal ongoing is awesome, so hopefully it won't be the next Wolverine: Origins and last a million years too long.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    Wolverine: The Best There Is really, really sucks...
    I've only read the one review, but it backs up your opinion.
    Adding to that the solicit Legerd quoted and what I've been reading lately (Uncanny is a major part of this), I have to wonder how much money and effort Marvel have put into researching exactly what won't appeal to me.

- Le Messor
    "I couldn’t possibly fail to disagree with you less."

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I know that I'll be reminded that comics are a business, but I still think that a good story and good story-telling should count for something. And Chaos War: Alpha Flight is an example of a good story and good story-telling. It is a worthy introduction and reintroduction of the team. It is well-edited. It is the type of story that MARVEL used to publish a long time ago.

I can think of a few comic books that sold like hot-cakes but were pure dreck (Shooter's SECRET WARS). Just because something can sell over 100,000 units doesn't automatically make it any good.

I think Alpha Flight readers know a good story when they see one.

And MARVEL is still capable of creating them.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Images

Comics are an art.

- Le Messor
    "When business and art join forces, anything can happen."
    ~ Gremlins 2

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Comics are an art.
    Currently, I am not enjoying the "art" of the majority of the things Marvel is delivering.
    But as we said before - I disliked 52 (from DC) and others loved it. I love Adam-X, others don't even know who he is.
    Can't please everyone, is what, I suppose it all comes down to.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 12-10-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Make the words a little kinder. :-)

Lets try and keep this thread on track and professional....

I stopped into a comic store near my office and the owner said she had ordered CW:AF copies that were not sent to her. Of course, she could have been giving me a line.

I was disappointed because I was really interested in seeing my old friends again. I have not picked up a comic in probably 15 years (got boxes of 1980s comics, bagged and boarded!), and Alpha was my team.

I'll keep searching. I guess there is always ebay. Just sad that the numbers are so low and the number could have been one book higher!

I purchased Uncanny 530 to see what comics look like these days. Land is clearly talented. The book seemed shorter than I remember comics being. Am I right about that?

Images

Comics feel shorter to me these days, but I don't know if they are shorter.
    They certainly don't take me as long to read. (10 minutes as opposed to 15. I'm a slow reader.)

Greg Land's art, uh...
    (Nobody tell him!!! Let him keep his innocence!!!)
    Stick to the 80s. Comics were better then.

- Le Messor
    "I count every day as wasted in which there has been no dancing."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzche

Greg Land's art, uh...
    You just live to spoil my fun, don't you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    You just live to spoil my fun, don't you?
    I thought you'd figured that out already.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpoilerAlert..JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	794

Greg Land's art, uh...
    (Nobody tell him!!! Let him keep his innocence!!!!
    Ahaha, I saw Land and talented in the same sentence, and my eye started twitching.

As for comics being shorter, technically they're not, but the style of storytelling has changed so that there are a lot fewer words (more realistic, cinematic style) and a lot less happens in each issue (writing for the trade), making them a lot quicker to read and a lot less satisfying. The writers that manage to pull it off these days are few and far between.

As for comics being shorter, technically they're not, but the style of storytelling has changed so that there are a lot fewer words (more realistic, cinematic style) and a lot less happens in each issue (writing for the trade), making them a lot quicker to read and a lot less satisfying. The writers that manage to pull it off these days are few and far between.
    Beat me to it, about less happening.

These days, one "storyline" can carry on for like six or seven issues.

Where as before, "Magneto shows up, the X-Men show up, the fight it out, the X-Men win."

Simplier back then, yes. But to me, much, much, much more enjoyable.

14. 12-12-2010

Quickest Google search ever explained your comment. Wow, that is really disappointing. I guess I will stick with the 80s (which makes me feel like an old fogey ... oh wait, I am an old fogey).

Greg Land's art, uh...
    Stick to the 80s. Comics were better then.

Well, my innocence belies my age. I would never have expected photoshop to enter the land (ahem) of comics, but I really should not be surprised. I just realized that when I last read comics regularly, there was no internet, so I guess a lot has happened that I have no clue about. I am still interested in getting back into the comics scene and seeing what's what.

From seeing X-Men 530 (my first comic since the early 1990s), I see your point about the substantive change in storytelling style. And while I imagine that quality can be quality regardless of style, I appreciate the blend of auditory (reading) and visual presentation that can be found in classic graphic novels or comics. I think I like the older style better (even if no one will ever convince me that AF 6 was not John just mailing it in that month).

After registering here last night, I re-read the X-Men / Alpha Flight crossover and the New Mutants Annual #1 that came out around the same time in the late 1980s, and while the crossover's connection to the larger Alpha storyline of that time was tenuous at best, those books will forever remain favorites of mine both for the art and the story that they told.

Because I'm embarrassed by my gaff, I'll stick around for a bit and will check out a few different books and see what stories catch my interest. Any recommendations for good blend of story and drawing?