Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Where was this published question - Jim Lee Alpha Flight Promo Piece

Default Another Where was this published question - Jim Lee Alpha Flight Promo Piece

Hey Folks,

I'm not a frequent user but I loved alpha flight (started reading issue 50 +)

I just got the original art to a great promo piece by Jim Lee showing the fulll team (issue 50+) along with some key storylines (I loved Wrath of the Dream Queen).

Here is the link to my comicartfans page:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...658&GSub=82086

Anyone know where this was published? Marvel age? Other titles around when that storyline came out?

I have a Todd McFarlane piece showing the same team that I asked about earlier too. Marvel Age was the suspected place but no one could say definitively.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...854&GSub=82086

Anyways, thanks for looking. Contacting me through comicartfans is probably best as I rarely come here, but I'l come and check.

Malvin

PS hope this is the right forum, if not, please move mods (this seemed the most logical one)

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I can't find either of them myself. I didn't even know McFarlane had draw Alpha Flight.
    I've checked my back issues of Lee's time, not thoroughly, but none of the ones what I saw had the first in it.

(But now I've got an image of SETH McFarlane's Alpha Flight in my head.)

- Le Messor
    "I can’t reach the brakes on this piano!"

I don't recognize either... entirely possible they were unused promo pieces.

That first one is beyond incredible.

This was a piece used for Marvel when they used to publish the preview of the storylines for the coming year. I can't remember if it was a special issue of Marvel Age when they did this or if it was called Marvel Previews. This was the year that they previewed the Dreamqueen storyline that preceeded James Hudnall taking over the title.

The Jim Lee promo piece can be found in Marvel Age Annual #4 I believe...

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...1395458740%204

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike View Post
    The Jim Lee promo piece can be found in Marvel Age Annual #4 I believe...

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...1395458740%204
    That's great! Thanks for the tip. I'll go see if I can find that at the LCS (or even online). If anyone else knows of another publication where either piece was published let me know so I can go find it.

Heh, who would have thought that someone would be buying back issues of Marvel Age!

Malvin

As far as I know the McFarlane pic is a unpublished promo page.

Thanks for the lead to the Marvel Age annual. I finally picked up a copy and it is indeed in there.

Now I'm wondering if maybe my McFarlane piece was published in Marvel Age Annual #3!

I actually might see Todd McF himself at a con this coming weekend. If the crowds don't stampede me to death I plan to ask him that!

Thanks again to these boards,

Malvin

It's definitely not from Marvel Age Annual #3
    That's again a Jim Lee piece.
    Strangely enough written by a 'Joanne Spaldo' where the rest of the titles are written by their current writer.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    That's again a Jim Lee piece.
    Strangely enough written by a 'Joanne Spaldo' where the rest of the titles are written by their current writer.
    Yeah, the MacFarlane piece definitely looks more like Lee's style, despite having MacFarlane's name on it.

Sorry, Phil, what was written by this 'Joanne Spaldo'? Something from one of the Marvel Age Annuals?

- Le Messor
    "I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem."

I do find it weird that they pay an artist to draw a splash like that and only show a tiny size of it in Marvel Age. I'm assuming its used for promo elsewhere.

As for my earlier McF piece, since that also seems to encapsulate a storyline (around issue 51, which I recall fondly), I'm assuming it too was used for promotion.. maybe its 2 years and its Marvel Age annual #2! As mentioned, hopefully I'll see Todd McFarlane at the convention this weekend and I can ask him.

Finally, I don't understand how it could be "written" since its a one page promo splash, maybe I'm just tired but can someone explain that?

Malvin

The Marvel Age Annual 3 format wasn't splashes, it was a 1 page recap/definition of the current status of each title.
    The Af one was drawn by Jim Lee and wasn't either of the two that White Knight posted.

It's not Marvel Age Annual #1 or #2 either as they're posted in this thread.

That Jim Lee piece looks to me more like a commission for a fan, it even has a "to so-and-so" on it at the bottom.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

The Jim Lee piece was definitely a published piece. I'm guessing White Knight got it signed to him at a convention?

The McFarlane piece I still have no clue about.