Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something?

Default Am I missing something?

So wait... It wasn't Mac, who we all know and love who died at the Collective's hand apparently? (Which means Mac saying the last thing he remembers is a naked man, incorrect...) At least according to the Wiki...

"Alpha Flight (Sasquatch, Major Mapleleaf II, Puck Jr., and the time-displaced versions of Guardian, Vindicator, Shaman, and Puck) is brutally attacked by The Collective.[6] Their bodies are left in the Yukon Territory as the Collective continues on to the United States. The time-displaced Guardian was later confirmed dead by Sasquatch, while the original Guardian is presumably still on the Plodex homeworld with the other members of Alpha Flight."

I'm guessing there was some wishful thinking going on when that was written.

that was all dealt with in one simple line in CW:AF. When Sas mentioned AF having come back from space and "setting everything right". I took that as AF went to space in vol.3 The time displaced versions were kicking around 'till AF got back from space and sent them back to thier own time. Then they ran into Pointer, got killed...and you know the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    that was all dealt with in one simple line in CW:AF. When Sas mentioned AF having come back from space and "setting everything right". I took that as AF went to space in vol.3 The time displaced versions were kicking around 'till AF got back from space and sent them back to thier own time. Then they ran into Pointer, got killed...and you know the rest.
    But that would mean, if it was the Space AF (as we will call them) - ran into Pointer and died. Then why is Mac, in CW:AF saying that the last thing he remembers is a naked man (who I assume to be Pointer?) Mac wouldn't have remembered that since it would have been the Space AF team, right?

not quite "Space Alpha Flight" is the real deal. K here is the series of events:

• The Real Alpha Flight is captured by the Plodex
    • Sasquatch and his merry band of missfits free them
    • Alpha Flight goes to space to take the plodex eggs home
    • Time Displaced Alpha Flight is brought on the scene to fill thier shoes.
    • The Real Alpha Flight comes back from space
    • Time Displaced Alpha Flight goes away
    • Real Alpha Flight is killed by the Collective (Pointer)
    • Sasquatch makes a deal with the Great Beasts and Real Alpha Flight members are back from the dead.

not quite "Space Alpha Flight" is the real deal. K here is the series of events:

• The Real Alpha Flight comes back from space
    • Time Displaced Alpha Flight goes away
    Okay, did Time Displaced AF go away in an issue or off panel?

They went away off panel. There has never been any actual reference to them since Vol.3. The rest of the world pretended it never happened. Sasquatch comment about AF coming back from space was a neat implication as to how it all got cleaned up.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

And the main reason why I think the conciseness of it should be appreciated: the point is not belabored. Walt states what happened and moves on (because of immediate events, true, but he doesn't belabor the point). Trying to tie up the "continuity" so EVERYTHING makes perfect sense is a losing proposition. Let's just accept Walt at his word and move on. Quickly.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    And the main reason why I think the conciseness of it should be appreciated: the point is not belabored. Walt states what happened and moves on (because of immediate events, true, but he doesn't belabor the point). Trying to tie up the "continuity" so EVERYTHING makes perfect sense is a losing proposition. Let's just accept Walt at his word and move on. Quickly.
    Which I am absolutely cool with! I was just confused. Because of the off panel portion. I couldn't wrap my head around when that might have happened. I have read V1 about ten to twenty times, read volume 2 about ten times, read v3... once.

So wasn't sure if it happened in V3... and I just wasn't remembering it.

Yeah...Lobdell bringing in temporal copies of the original team at the end of Volume Three made many an Alpha Flight fan bang their heads against walls.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Yeah...Lobdell bringing in temporal copies of the original team at the end of Volume Three made many an Alpha Flight fan bang their heads against walls.

Dana
    Well to be fair... I bet he was trying to make ALPHA fans happy by "restoring" the original ALPHA FLIGHT team with a "clean start."

honestly, I don't know if he was trying to make them happy, or if he was thumbing his nose at them/us for all the complaining about wanting the real AF, not his new team.

honestly, I don't know if he was trying to make them happy, or if he was thumbing his nose at them/us for all the complaining about wanting the real AF, not his new team.
    Well even if he was thumbing at us... by hand delivering what we want, in the end, isn't a very good way to say, "Screw you!"

It was definitely the former. In his head we'd all have loved it.
    Scott & I got to talking on AIM quite a lot part way through Vol.3 and I remember him telling me 'I've just handed in the script for #12. The final page is gonna make a lot of Alpha Flight fans happy!' [sic]
    I remember looking at #12, and seeing the page that he meant (presumably before it ended at 12 and was bumped back a few pages) and just holding my head in my hands.
    If only he'd actually told me what it was I would have warned him.
    Still though, I have no idea how that got accepted by editorial...