Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncanny #531 Preview

Another Northstar and Dazzler pairing..hmmmmm

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Was there ever an official announcement about that pairing?

- Le Messor
    "King's bishop to corner pocket. snap!"

Horrible art, awesome team. Except Pixie, blerg.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=30010

The bulk of the X-Men may be sidelined by the flu epidemic on Utopia, but there will still be an X-team in the field, ready to oppose the Sublime Corporation's scheme and defend San Francisco. In issue #530, an X-Men team came together composed of mutants who were not on Utopia when it went under quarantine, a team consisting of Angel, Northstar, Pixie, Dazzler and Storm.
    "I think the idea that the X-Men would have to pull together this scratch team of mutants who just happen to be in San Francisco is lots of fun. That allows us to have a team which is awkwardly thrust into this situation and grows closer because of it. Assembling this team and seeing how they work has been splendid," Gillen said. "Northstar and Dazzler are people who teamed together previously, and obviously there's been a Dazzler-Pixie story in the background as well. When you get all three of them together 'chatty' is a good way of putting it," Gillen laughed. "What you get from Storm, here, is that in a perverse way, she likes that this situation is a lot less complicated than some of the things she's had to deal with lately. This is an X-Men team with a simple and definite mandate; to defend San Francisco, and that's exactly what they're going to do."
    Gillen obviously couldn't reveal the outcome of "Quarantine," but hinted that the events of the arc may lead the currently active team to reunite again later in 2011. "I think the fact that the San Francisco scratch team works so well tells me that there's a good chance those five characters will get back together again," Gillen revealed. "The fact that they were forced together and it worked as easily as it did has them thinking that this is something useful and might be worth preserving."

On the plus side, this indicates that Gillen may be taking a stronger hand with the book's direction in the future -- possibly getting a hand-off from Fraction? -- which can only be a good thing for the dialogue if nothing else. But the idea of writing Northstar as "chatty" makes me worry that he's not going to have any better a handle on the character than Fraction did. Time will tell, I suppose.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 76852
    ready to oppose the Sublime Corporation's scheme and defend San Francisco.
    Is it just me, or is Sublime's plot the same as Luthor's in 52? Make everybody grin constantly like creepy psychos?
    No, wait, that's the Joker's and it's working!
    I mean, make ordinary people into superheroes to make himself a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    534.1 ?!?
    *Sigh*.
    While I admit I've always wanted to do an issu
    e п, that's just ridiculous!

- Le Messor
    "I don't want a free lunch; I want a cost-effective lunch."
    ~ Mark T. Shirey

And related;

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=30381

Gillen Prepares His “Uncanny” Solo
    I want to be hopeful. I liked both volumes of Phonogram immensely -- even bought the soundtracks, so to speak. Everything I've seen about S.W.O.R.D makes it appear to be heaping spoonfuls of win and squee. And he's talking about actual character work and long-term subplots, not just plot-driven stories. But I just can't get excited. Burned waaaaay too often for that, and I just plain don't like what most of the X-Men have become under the last few writers.

ETA: Of course, I might start reading Gen Hope just because it seems like Hope's reason for existence is to tell Scott Summers to go **** himself. I can get behind that. I just wish her supporting cast wasn't so darn dull.
    Last edited by suzene; 01-19-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    ETA: Of course, I might start reading Gen Hope just because it seems like Hope's reason for existence is to tell Scott Summers to go **** himself. I can get behind that. I just wish her supporting cast wasn't so darn dull.
    I'll support you if you must, but like I told the Master - please don't!
    I don't care how good it is, you'd just be encouraging more X-books... and the world does not need that.
    (The Master got it anyway. It's okay.)

- Le Messor
    "I don't want a pickle I just want to ride on my motorcycle And I don't want a tickle I'd rather ride on my motorcycle And I don't wanna' die I just want to ride on my motorcy... cle."
    ~ Arlo Guthrie, "The Motorcycle Song"

Marvel's upcoming summer event storyline “Fear Itself,”
    Ugh. Another 'big Marvel event' this summer? Really? Say it isn't so...

(Didn't they learn from the 8,000 other 'big events' that nobody cared about, either?)
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Civil War & Secret Invasion made them serious money. (Secret Invasion less so, but Civil war definitely took off and was easily a sales success, compared to standard sales mini series and tie-in wise.)

As much as some fans complain and don't care, they still buy.

*Note - some, not all*

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    I want to be hopeful. I liked both volumes of Phonogram immensely -- even bought the soundtracks, so to speak. Everything I've seen about S.W.O.R.D makes it appear to be heaping spoonfuls of win and squee. And he's talking about actual character work and long-term subplots, not just plot-driven stories. But I just can't get excited. Burned waaaaay too often for that, and I just plain don't like what most of the X-Men have become under the last few writers.

I'm a massive Phonogram fan and Kieron is really great to talk to.
    I enjoyed SWORD a lot. And his Thor run was solid stuff too.
    I'm not too keen on Gen Hope, but have faith in his Uncanny.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Ugh. Another 'big Marvel event' this summer? Really? Say it isn't so...
    Civil War & Secret Invasion made them serious money. (Secret Invasion less so, but Civil war definitely took off and was easily a sales success, compared to standard sales mini series and tie-in wise.)
    What bugs me about that is, they promised they wouldn't. The quote, iirc, is that they said something like 'no more big events for the forseeable future' late last year. Apparently, they can't forsee a full year.

As much as some fans complain and don't care, they still buy.
    In droves. Who keeps doing that?!?
    And Wolverine publicity works, too. And the X-Men are still popular (okay, I buy that one - but only for Alphans).

- Le Messor
    "I don't want any trouble, I want a life, a house and a tea cozy, I don't even know what one is, but I want one."
    ~ Buffy

Northstar makes a minor appearance in issue #532 as well. Smashes Collective Man's face, then gets smacked down. Pretty disappointing but at least the Dazzler butt trifecta is complete. Yes, another panel with Dazzler's butt!

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com