Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're all Alpha Flight fans, right...?

Default We're all Alpha Flight fans, right...?

... but who (and name as many as you'd like) did you actually DISLIKE in Alpha Flight? Or what parts did you dislike of the character?

I am not talking story arcs or anything - I am talking specifically about the character. (Now if there was a specific story arc that changed a character for you and you disliked how they were handled, I suppose that's fair)!

So let's hear it? We can't possibly love ALL the characters that have been a part of ALPHA FLIGHT to some degree?

I disliked Mankind, Goblyn/Laura Dean, Wyre, Feedback, Stich, St.Elmo, Centenial, Major Maple Leaf II, and Yukon Jack.
    I didn't like the way they used Nemises in the later part of the first series, or the 3rd series. I didn't like what they did to Wild Child and made him Weapon Omega, then Wild Heart, and then changed him back. I also didn't make Radius as being too cool for the room, but I guess that was just his personality and it could be forgiven.

Sasquatch. I'm sorry, guys, but the lines of consent in his and Aurora's relationship are entirely too blurry for me to feel comfortable with him as a character.

Heather, once Mantlo got a hold of her.

I've said this before, but I was not a big fan of Radius, Murmur, Manbot or Sasquatch II. Power-wise, Radius was too similar to Cecilia Reyes and Skids. Why use Murmur when Persuasion was available? Sasquatch II was a stretch for credibility, even for a comic. Manbot? There was nothing interesting about him. Even Ghost Girl wasn't original.
    Ironically, 1 of the characters in that series, who we never even had a good glimpse of, probably had the most potential - that being Flinch.
    Earthmover wasn't a big thrill for me either. Why bring in someone as a protege other than Talisman?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    I've said this before, but I was not a big fan of Radius, Murmur, Manbot or Sasquatch II. Power-wise, Radius was too similar to Cecilia Reyes and Skids. Why use Murmur when Persuasion was available? Sasquatch II was a stretch for credibility, even for a comic. Manbot? There was nothing interesting about him. Even Ghost Girl wasn't original.
    I think the whole original point was that they were all 'Legacies' ie; children of existing heroes that Dept. H had either collected or created through DNA manipulation, to add to the sinister shadowy agenda of Vol.2, hence Radius WAS Unus, Flex WAS Wolverine, Murmur WAS Persuasion, Ghost Girl WAS Shadowcat, Manbot WAS Bochs etc etc...

But that has never been made canon, correct? And no one followed up on it. The only reason we know this is because of an interview, right? Now they are either dead or powerless, so they remain boring to me.
    I did like Flex though - I liked the conflict of his power vs his personality. And he came before Mercury, so his power was somewhat original (though I think there was a character in Cyberforce around the same time that was sort of similar?)

Yeah, but your point was that they weren't original and why use Murmur over Persuasion. That was the writer's reasoning, whether it was canon or not.
    It may appear to just be blatant ignorance, but it wasn't; it just fell flat and short.
    I never said I liked the characters, just showing some slight defence.

Didn't like Radius, or Flex either. Goblyn was a definite YUCK. Much preferred Heather out of the battlesuit, and liked Puck much more when he was just a dwarf. I really enjoyed the emotional content between Puck and Heather, and wasn't a big fan of her hooking up with Jeffries. Manbot had potential, but was used poorly. In series three, I liked MM2, Puck 2, and definitely Yukon Jack, but the rest all sucked - well, Nemesis was alright, but she is better as a villain than as a hero. I actually preferred Murmur to Persuasion, which isn't to say that i actually disliked either.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yeah, but your point was that they weren't original and why use Murmur over Persuasion. That was the writer's reasoning, whether it was canon or not.
    It may appear to just be blatant ignorance, but it wasn't; it just fell flat and short.
    I never said I liked the characters, just showing some slight defence.
    Point taken.
    And boy, I couldn't agree with you more that it fell flat.

It's always interesting to hear other's opinions on this board. I'm glad we all have very distinct likes and dislikes. It makes it so much more interesting.
    I, for one, LOVED Goblyn. LOVED her. At least until Broderick started drawing her more human...that was awful...

My problom with Goblyn/ Laura Dean was, wouldn't Child Services had at least try and get her out from Alpha? How old was she 12? 10? and she's off battleing super villans. Even still why didn't anyone in Alpha say she's too young and not let her go on these dangerous missions? Clearly they had little or no sences of putting a very young child in harms way. The same could be said about Persusion, but at least she was 15 or 16 years old and was a couple years away from being an adult. I mean she could get her driver's licence. (Laura Dean Dean to could drive, if she was in Europe).

Not a fan of Wyre, Murmur, Sasquatch II, Major Maple Leaf, Centennial, Marrina. Maybe that's all.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    Not a fan of Wyre, Murmur, Sasquatch II, Major Maple Leaf, Centennial, Marrina. Maybe that's all.
    Personally, I liked Wyre. Just not in an Alpha Flight comic, perhaps. He wasn't right for the feel of the book (such as it was at the time he showed up). It was like trying to force-feed an X-Men type character into an Alpha Flight book - didn't work.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Sasquatch. I'm sorry, guys, but the lines of consent in his and Aurora's relationship are entirely too blurry for me to feel comfortable with him as a character.

Heather, once Mantlo got a hold of her.
    Actually, the Aurora personality was in 100% control when the relationship began, so no consent issue with her. IIRC, Walt was never anything but a concerned comforter to Jeanne-Marie. It's possible I am forgetting a scene, but I don't think Walt ever had relations with Jeanne-Marie, only Aurora. When the personalities were briefly put into balance during the X0Men Alpha LS, the merged persona did not spurn Walt.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I disliked Madison Jeffries after Mantlo changed him from a homely gruff to the ultimate handsome hero with all the solutions.
    I also never liked the Wildheart characterization, While I liked Furman's overall direction of the series, I disliked most of the characters he created for it.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Box - Any version of Box. I have never cared for the character at all - as a member of Alpha Flight. When he was originally a member of Omega Flight, I liked him. Thought he made a good counter part to Sasquatch in a Alpha vs Omega kind of way. But to me, Box was a very bad attempt to replace Sasquatch as the strong man on the team.

Centennial - There isn't much I like about this volume that he appeared in. I thought he was a "funny" character (amusingly written) - I just don't think it fit for Alpha Flight. He would have been better in Great Lakes Avengers or a title along those lines.

Earthmover - Could there be a character I hated more in Alpha Flight history? No. I don't think that's even possible. My dislike of Earthmover is epic. Why was he created? Why would Shaman select him over Talisman? And he looked like an idiot. That certainly didn't help me in trying to like him any! I just never cared about this character, and would not have complained if he was among the dead when the Collective came to town.

Heather - I didn't mind Heather. Until she put the suit on. I thought that was a horrible idea. Of course, while Mac's death (in Alpha Flight #12) was an epic story, it was the beginning of an end for Alpha Flight, who was leaderless. And Heather taking over, was not a good idea. I love strong women! I do. They top some of my favorites (Namorita, Valkyrie, Mystique) - but Heather didn't seem to fit as the new Guardian/Vindicator.

Manbot - Just... what the hell?

Mankin - Interesting powers, hated the character.