Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're all Alpha Flight fans, right...?

Hybrid View

Default We're all Alpha Flight fans, right...?

... but who (and name as many as you'd like) did you actually DISLIKE in Alpha Flight? Or what parts did you dislike of the character?

I am not talking story arcs or anything - I am talking specifically about the character. (Now if there was a specific story arc that changed a character for you and you disliked how they were handled, I suppose that's fair)!

So let's hear it? We can't possibly love ALL the characters that have been a part of ALPHA FLIGHT to some degree?

I disliked Mankind, Goblyn/Laura Dean, Wyre, Feedback, Stich, St.Elmo, Centenial, Major Maple Leaf II, and Yukon Jack.
    I didn't like the way they used Nemises in the later part of the first series, or the 3rd series. I didn't like what they did to Wild Child and made him Weapon Omega, then Wild Heart, and then changed him back. I also didn't make Radius as being too cool for the room, but I guess that was just his personality and it could be forgiven.

Sasquatch. I'm sorry, guys, but the lines of consent in his and Aurora's relationship are entirely too blurry for me to feel comfortable with him as a character.

Heather, once Mantlo got a hold of her.

I've said this before, but I was not a big fan of Radius, Murmur, Manbot or Sasquatch II. Power-wise, Radius was too similar to Cecilia Reyes and Skids. Why use Murmur when Persuasion was available? Sasquatch II was a stretch for credibility, even for a comic. Manbot? There was nothing interesting about him. Even Ghost Girl wasn't original.
    Ironically, 1 of the characters in that series, who we never even had a good glimpse of, probably had the most potential - that being Flinch.
    Earthmover wasn't a big thrill for me either. Why bring in someone as a protege other than Talisman?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    I've said this before, but I was not a big fan of Radius, Murmur, Manbot or Sasquatch II. Power-wise, Radius was too similar to Cecilia Reyes and Skids. Why use Murmur when Persuasion was available? Sasquatch II was a stretch for credibility, even for a comic. Manbot? There was nothing interesting about him. Even Ghost Girl wasn't original.
    I think the whole original point was that they were all 'Legacies' ie; children of existing heroes that Dept. H had either collected or created through DNA manipulation, to add to the sinister shadowy agenda of Vol.2, hence Radius WAS Unus, Flex WAS Wolverine, Murmur WAS Persuasion, Ghost Girl WAS Shadowcat, Manbot WAS Bochs etc etc...

But that has never been made canon, correct? And no one followed up on it. The only reason we know this is because of an interview, right? Now they are either dead or powerless, so they remain boring to me.
    I did like Flex though - I liked the conflict of his power vs his personality. And he came before Mercury, so his power was somewhat original (though I think there was a character in Cyberforce around the same time that was sort of similar?)

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Sasquatch. I'm sorry, guys, but the lines of consent in his and Aurora's relationship are entirely too blurry for me to feel comfortable with him as a character.

Heather, once Mantlo got a hold of her.
    Actually, the Aurora personality was in 100% control when the relationship began, so no consent issue with her. IIRC, Walt was never anything but a concerned comforter to Jeanne-Marie. It's possible I am forgetting a scene, but I don't think Walt ever had relations with Jeanne-Marie, only Aurora. When the personalities were briefly put into balance during the X0Men Alpha LS, the merged persona did not spurn Walt.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I disliked Madison Jeffries after Mantlo changed him from a homely gruff to the ultimate handsome hero with all the solutions.
    I also never liked the Wildheart characterization, While I liked Furman's overall direction of the series, I disliked most of the characters he created for it.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24 View Post
    Actually, the Aurora personality was in 100% control when the relationship began, so no consent issue with her. IIRC, Walt was never anything but a concerned comforter to Jeanne-Marie. It's possible I am forgetting a scene, but I don't think Walt ever had relations with Jeanne-Marie, only Aurora. When the personalities were briefly put into balance during the X0Men Alpha LS, the merged persona did not spurn Walt.
    I don't blame Sasquatch for entering a romantic relationship with Aurora, but for continuing it once her mental illness surfaced. When the Jeanne-Marie personality was dominant in AF #3, she absolutely wanted nothing to do with him, going so far as to strike him and flee when he told her the nature of their relationship. But he was fine with cohabitating with Aurora when she came to him in AF #10 despite that, and they were still together 10+ issues later. Jeanne-Marie Beaubier is the base personality, and just because she wasn't in control of her body or aware of what was being done to it doesn't make it all right -- it's at the heart of what makes the whole thing so skeevy. And even aside from the sexual aspect of the relationship, agreeing to experiment on your mentally unstable, emotionally distraught girlfriend when you don't know what the full effects will be is dodgy enough on an ethical level, but Walt went one step beyond and didn't fully disclose what he assumed those effects would be.

So yeah, no love for Walter from this fangirl.

I don't blame Sasquatch for entering a romantic relationship with Aurora, but for continuing it once her mental illness surfaced. When the Jeanne-Marie personality was dominant in AF #3, she absolutely wanted nothing to do with him, going so far as to strike him and flee when he told her the nature of their relationship. But he was fine with cohabitating with Aurora when she came to him in AF #10 despite that, and they were still together 10+ issues later. Jeanne-Marie Beaubier is the base personality, and just because she wasn't in control of her body or aware of what was being done to it doesn't make it all right -- it's at the heart of what makes the whole thing so skeevy. And even aside from the sexual aspect of the relationship, agreeing to experiment on your mentally unstable, emotionally distraught girlfriend when you don't know what the full effects will be is dodgy enough on an ethical level, but Walt went one step beyond and didn't fully disclose what he assumed those effects would be.

I understand where you're coming from, Suzene...But maybe Walter was in love with Aurora...Maybe that's why he couldn't break things off with her? As far for the experiment to alter Aurora's powers, Walter had selfish motives in doing the experiment, he wanted to drive a wedge between Aurora and Northstar...So he could have Aurora all to himself. Love sometimes makes us monsters.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, Suzene...But maybe Walter was in love with Aurora...Maybe that's why he couldn't break things off with her? As far for the experiment to alter Aurora's powers, Walter had selfish motives in doing the experiment, he wanted to drive a wedge between Aurora and Northstar...So he could have Aurora all to himself. Love sometimes makes us monsters.
    Perhaps, but what you're painting are two scenarios that are, at best, explanations, not excuses, and when the explanation is "He did it because he cared about his own happiness/libido/experiment more than he did his vulnerable lover's well-being" it's not making a case for why I should even like the character, let alone cut him any slack.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post

Dana

Dana, You made a funny. We ARE talking about Sasquatch. 'Monster' definitely fits his character.

I don't blame Sasquatch for entering a romantic relationship with Aurora
    (Snip)
    You know, that's an interesting take on Aurora and Sasquatch's relationship...! But then... when she switched back and forth... one side wanted Walt, one side wanted nothing to do with him... So imagine, if you will, Suzene, if you were in a relationship with someone... and dated them for quite some time... and everything seemed normal... then one day on a date, another persona emerges, and says they want nothing to do with you.

Do you break up? Because the person suffers from MPD - even though one side says they love you, and your love is everything they have dreamed of? Do you break up with them and break their heart, even though they have no memory of the other persona when it takes over - and thus don't recall them ever telling you?

14. 11-15-2010

Everyone is forgetting the big thing about good old Walt. He was married.