Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Spoiler-FULL Chaos War:Alpha Flight Previews/Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Personally, I think all their 'come a long way' is just them becoming generic. All 'superheroes' look alike to me now, and the current Alpha Flight is not exception (I'm not talking about the one-shot here).
    I have to agree. While Twyst is right that Byrne-era Alpha Flight had some eye-rolling stereotypes (Oldmanbassoon over on DA pokes fun at it here; I think he missed the mark with Aurora, though, as Northstar was the one who would leave the team at the drop of a hat), underneath the stereotypes were some memorable, interestingly flawed characters. Over time, some of the stereotype has been stripped out, but a lot of the characterization went with it...or worse, the stereotype shifted from the regional cliche to the offensive in a larger context (re the persistently ablest portrayals of Aurora over the last thirty years, or Northstar going from a complex, conflicted character to Captain Queer and his Amazing Pontification Powers!). It's perfectly valid to dislike that aspect of the team, but I think claiming that they've improved as a whole just because that particular problematic aspect has faded into the background somewhat (not enough for Northstar to escape poutine jokes, I notice) is a bit much.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I've finally had a chance to listen to it.

They seem to like modern comics the most. That definitely explains / highlights our different tastes.

- Le Messor
    "I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian."
    Last edited by Le Messor; 12-15-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twyst View Post
    But anyway, i know you guys love AF, and my dislike of the early issues is probably going to make it so we cant have a conversation - but i wanted to come and explain a little, so thanks for the time! I have said what i wanted to say
    You're welcome to voice your opinion, and stay and just talk about the oneshot or Snowbird's part in sacred Invasion etc.
    We're not elitist here at all, you're more than entitled to dislike Byrne's issues for your reasons.

Without stereotypes in the world of writing there just would not be anything to write about. Maybe the different characters in a story that confront those stereotypes might be a good way of going about it.

I know a few newfies here in London, Ontario ... and believe me ... they fit some of the stereotypes that they are known for in fact and fiction. I do not know if that is because they feel they must do that from how people perceive them or does the glove just fit?

The French Canadian twins being pompous and arrogant is very much in accord with how many of their number in Quebec are. Living close to the Quebec border in Ottawa there was many a time I saw these attributes in their character. I call them attributes because they are a proud people and they should be.

I do not say it much ... but every once in a while ... the word ... "Eh?" ... passes my lips still.

As I already pointed out, without stereotypes there just would be a bunch of people standing around in comics and other forms of writing, looking lost and bored.
    Last edited by ClawMaraud; 12-15-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: speeling erorrs <-- Ha Ha

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ClawMaraud View Post
    I do not say it much ... but every once in a while ... the word ... "Eh?" ... passes my lips still.
    People seem to forget that only one out of eight original Alphans uses that. Come to think of it, he may've been the only one period (not just original).

- Le Messor
    "I didn’t graduate “Magna Cum Laude” or “Summa Cum Laude” - I graduated “Laude Howe Cum."

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    I have to agree. While Twyst is right that Byrne-era Alpha Flight had some eye-rolling stereotypes (Oldmanbassoon over on DA pokes fun at it here; I think he missed the mark with Aurora, though, as Northstar was the one who would leave the team at the drop of a hat), underneath the stereotypes were some memorable, interestingly flawed characters. Over time, some of the stereotype has been stripped out, but a lot of the characterization went with it...or worse, the stereotype shifted from the regional cliche to the offensive in a larger context (re the persistently ablest portrayals of Aurora over the last thirty years, or Northstar going from a complex, conflicted character to Captain Queer and his Amazing Pontification Powers!). It's perfectly valid to dislike that aspect of the team, but I think claiming that they've improved as a whole just because that particular problematic aspect has faded into the background somewhat (not enough for Northstar to escape poutine jokes, I notice) is a bit much.
    Maybe I just didn't notice the stereotypes as a kid, but here's how I see them...The only member of the team to use "eh" is Puck (you can't tell me some Canadians don't say "eh"), whom also is the only hockey reference on the team (not to mention, he's not even one of the original members). Snowbird isn't inuit. There was never any mention of Poutine or Mac and Cheese during Byrne's run. I'm not Canadian, so maybe I'm not seeing the huge stereotyping that others may be. I do see the "Sasquatch is a Canadian myth" and the "Native medicine man" stereotypes now, but as a kid, I just thought they were cool characters.

AFAIK, John Byrne was still a Canadian citizen when he made Alpha Flight, he's responsible for any stereotyping...It came from a Canadian.

To me, the most hugely stereotyped characters are some of the Volume Three team.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 12-15-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

People seem to forget that only one out of eight original Alphans uses that. Come to think of it, he may've been the only one period (not just original).

- Le Messor
    "I didn’t graduate “Magna Cum Laude” or “Summa Cum Laude” - I graduated “Laude Howe Cum."
    Puck is the only team member who uses "eh" in Byrne's run, AFAIK.

Dana

Nah, the poutine was all Matt Fraction.

Oh Mik, stop! You're killing me. LMAO.

Uh, no it may not. An opinion, by definition, can't be 'wrong'.

Why? I thought he was Scandanavian, which is in the Northwest.

Personally, I think all their 'come a long way' is just them becoming generic. All 'superheroes' look alike to me now, and the current Alpha Flight is no exception (I'm not talking about the one-shot here).

P.S. Twyst, your opinion is wrong.

- Le Messor
    "I despise the pleasure of pleasing people whom I despise."
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Where's Maple Syrup Lass when you need her?

Dana

Where's Maple Syrup Lass when you need her?
    Was she part of the Legion of Super Heroes?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Oh Mik, stop! You're killing me. LMAO.
    Not yet, I'm not, but wait'll I get you outside...

Maybe you are ALREADY outside...outside the law...

Images

Law!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Was she part of the Legion of Super Heroes?
    Maybe the Legion of Syrup Heroes?