Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spoiler-FULL Chaos War:Alpha Flight Previews/Reviews

Best Alpha story in decades. First time I have been into a comic book store and bought something in years. Bravo to the creative team. Can't wait till Puck returns. Oh he will. Yes he will.

After coming by here and reading that the issue was out I ran to the comic shop right after work today.
    I picked it up and the guy behind the counter was telling me how it sold out at all three of their locations.

Anyhow, I LOVED the issue. The art, the story, the characterizations...all excellent!

I read it twice and left it on my nightstand beside my bed as Im sure I will continue to look through it. I can barely wait for Chaos War #5 now.

The only thing missing for me was Puck, Talisman and Bochsie. It also would've been nice to get a little more from Marrina.

If Marvel is reading this, the only thing I want for Christmas is an Alpha Flight on-going...PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill P View Post
    Best Alpha story in decades. First time I have been into a comic book store and bought something in years. Bravo to the creative team. Can't wait till Puck returns. Oh he will. Yes he will.
    Bill P - It was the ONLY REAL Alpha story in decades, as far as I am concerned. Like you, I have not been into a comic store in years. Alpha Flight being messed with by so many incompetent writers and artists really wrecked comic collecting for me.

I still hope to get it! So hard some days....[-o<
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

So true. Last true Alpha story for me was Volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ClawMaraud View Post
    Bill P - It was the ONLY REAL Alpha story in decades, as far as I am concerned. Like you, I have not been into a comic store in years. Alpha Flight being messed with by so many incompetent writers and artists really wrecked comic collecting for me.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    Finally got a copy... and it was GREAT! This is the kind of story I have been waiting to read for over a decade.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

I agree with pretty much everything Phil said.
    And I agree with what Legerd said.

The art could've had more detail - I couldn't help realising how much Byrne put in there when I saw Reilly Brown's Somon - but that's all I really have to say that hasn't been said.

Great issue!

- Mik
    "I am the lizard king, I can do anything"
    ~ Jim Morrison

Images

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpoilerAlert..JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	773

In
    case
    that
    doesn't
    show
    up
    in
    the
    preview

Why is Marrina turning into a fish?
    Shapeshifting has only happened to her before when she goes evil, not as part of her base power-set.

- Le Messor
    "I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises."
    ~ Neil Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpoilerAlert..JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	773

In
    case
    that
    doesn't
    show
    up
    in
    the
    preview

Why is Marrina turning into a fish?
    Shapeshifting has only happened to her before when she goes evil, not as part of her base power-set.

- Le Messor
    "I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises."
    ~ Neil Armstrong
    I read it as an indication of the level of evil that was present in the area during this battle. It was influencing her as well, as she was starting to go all Leviathan on everyone's behinds, so clearly it was not a good situation.
    Last edited by Ahab; 11-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Images

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    I read it as an indication of the level of evil that was present in the area during this battle. It was influencing her as well, as she was starting to go all Leviathan on everyone's behinds, so clearly it was not a good situation.
    Either that or a side-effect of coming back from the dead?
    It just came out of nowhere for me, and I thought it could use a canon explanation.

- Le Messor
    "I asked Dad if Mom was going to have a baby, and he said not that he knew of. Dad said we'd know if Mom was having a kid because she'd look like a hippopotamus with a gland problem... That's when Mom creamed him with her pillow. Dad says she must be feeling better."

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

As for Marinna changing... I took it as a part of when they noted that they had all come back more powerful. I think she was giving into the primal self, and thus reflecting the beast within her. But I had the feeling that she could now change at will. Sort of like Snowbird, but with no control, she was easily surrendering to the savage side of herself, unlike Snowbird, who has had a considerable amount of practice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

As for Marinna changing... I took it as a part of when they noted that they had all come back more powerful.
    Good reading, Tawmis! I like it.

- Le Messor
    "I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything."
    ~ Aldous Huxley

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

Would be nice if this incarnation of Marrina was not the all-consuming victim, always crossing her arms in supplication, waiting for the next bout of bad luck to strike her. The poor girl is cursed. Maybe Snowbird could teach her in the ways of shapeshifting to maybe change to look more like a human being and not all fish-sickly as she does now? I mean, even in a place like the MU she must have to hide away from 'normal' folk all of the time looking as she does.

Quote Originally Posted by ClawMaraud View Post
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

Would be nice if this incarnation of Marrina was not the all-consuming victim, always crossing her arms in supplication, waiting for the next bout of bad luck to strike her. The poor girl is cursed. Maybe Snowbird could teach her in the ways of shapeshifting to maybe change to look more like a human being and not all fish-sickly as she does now? I mean, even in a place like the MU she must have to hide away from 'normal' folk all of the time looking as she does.
    Well, according to her origin, she was pretty accepted growing up (she's shown swimming with kids and such). So I don't think, until Alpha Flight, she's had much to hide from. In Alpha Flight though, she got exposed to The Master, gutted Puck once, tried a second time a few issues later, turned on Sub-Mariner, ... so the poor lass hasn't had much need to hide anything, as she was widely accepted for how she appeared.

As for her being cursed... who in ALPHA FLIGHT isn't? Strangely, the most solid character is Northstar. Aurora has her MPD issue. Sas has been killed who knows how many times (just in VOL1). Snowbird... Well, what hasn't happened to her? Mac - how many times has he died? I am almost convinced he's been touched by the Phoenix Force with how many times he's come back! I mean even the Phoenix Force is like, "WTF dude? You put me to shame!" Shaman... Well, he's lost his wife, his daughter, then his daughter again, his humanity, his... Well, you get the idea. Puck... Well, when you have this big bad genie living inside of you...

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    As for her being cursed... who in ALPHA FLIGHT isn't? Strangely, the most solid character is Northstar. Aurora has her MPD issue. Sas has been killed who knows how many times (just in VOL1). Snowbird... Well, what hasn't happened to her? Mac - how many times has he died? I am almost convinced he's been touched by the Phoenix Force with how many times he's come back! I mean even the Phoenix Force is like, "WTF dude? You put me to shame!" Shaman... Well, he's lost his wife, his daughter, then his daughter again, his humanity, his... Well, you get the idea. Puck... Well, when you have this big bad genie living inside of you...
    Northstar's been through the half-elf thing, been killed, been resurrected and brainwashed by the Hand, then re-brainwashed by the Children of the Vault, restored to default settings through the efforts of Rogue and SHIELD, and then mind-controlled again over in Hellbound. I'm surprised that his mind isn't as fragmented as Aurora's by now.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Northstar's been through the half-elf thing, been killed, been resurrected and brainwashed by the Hand, then re-brainwashed by the Children of the Vault, restored to default settings through the efforts of Rogue and SHIELD, and then mind-controlled again over in Hellbound. I'm surprised that his mind isn't as fragmented as Aurora's by now.

I would love to see his political view on wanting Quebec to separate from Canada at this point in his evolution. Is Marvel scared to bring up political ideas that actually do exist in the real world? That was a big part of what he was at first when Byrne first wrote him right? I think that was a big reason he was so sour with most of the other members of Alpha Flight. Aurora was his only connection. Seems he enjoys Heather as a person as well (as we find out in the Chaos War) one-shot.
    Last edited by ClawMaraud; 11-29-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes fixed AND spoiler space added