Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future of The Flight

Clay Henry does do good art, most definitely.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    As much as the writing kills me, I do like Henry's artwork.
    I liked it too.
    And there were other things about the 3rd series that I liked.
    1. The acknowledgment that Flashback was still alive, even if his demise is inevitable someday due to the accident with Delphine Courtney.
    2. Mar - who in my mind was one of Marrina's surviving children.
    3. The concept of Centennial - a "feeble" old hero that had super strength, though I agree with Dana that as we saw more of his powers, his powerset was becoming too much like a ripoff of Superman
    4. The return of Nemesis
    5. I liked Yukon Jack's powerset, when we finally saw it, though it tool entirely too long to finally see

So I think there were some nuggets, even though though the series as a whole was pretty much forgettable...

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

I recently read Vol 3 on Marvel Digital just as I was letting my sub run out. Aside:They only have 8 issues of the original up but they put all of vol 3, ugh.
    Only new character I liked really was Puck II, but then I'm a sucker for legacies. And while I do feel some of the past Alpha Flight baggage should be dealt with, I think it would be a bad idea to do it right away if a new series or mini series follows the one-shot. Alpha has to attract new as well as old but have the original members there and get to the core of what makes them cool. If pulled off the readers will come.

Unfortunately to be perfectly honest there are a few writers at DC I think would be better suited for this. Geoff Johns, Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey come to mind. But we'll see.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Unfortunately to be perfectly honest there are a few writers at DC I think would be better suited for this. Geoff Johns, Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey come to mind. But we'll see.
    Is that unfortunate because you don't think they'd switch companies? Or unfortunate in that nobody at Marvel comes to mind for you?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Until recently, I'd have put my full support behind Fred Van Lente as the writer for an Alpha Flight mini/ongoing, but now I just worry that he'd wind up treating us to another volley of "BTW, Northstar is gay!" jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    Until recently, I'd have put my full support behind Fred Van Lente as the writer for an Alpha Flight mini/ongoing, but now I just worry that he'd wind up treating us to another volley of "BTW, Northstar is gay!" jokes.
    why so? I read so few comics anymore - has he done something to make you tink he would do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    why so? I read so few comics anymore - has he done something to make you tink he would do this?

This page from Hercules' funeral.
    He's done OK by the Flight in his all-ages work, and I rather liked his use of Snowbird in SI, but that was a big misstep for no good reason.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I dunno, that wasn't so much a joke at Northstar's expense as acknowledging Herc's past (from the mythology)... and at least he wasn't as smarmy as every. single. one. of the women.

- Le Messor
    "High blood pressure sufferers: Simply cut yourself and bleed for a while, thus reducing the pressure in your veins."
    ~ Top Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I dunno, that wasn't so much a joke at Northstar's expense as acknowledging Herc's past (from the mythology)... and at least he wasn't as smarmy as every. single. one. of the women.
    I disagree. Herc's past relationship with Hylas had already been given a nod in the series proper and he'd been shown flirting with other male characters previous to this issue, so the fact that Herc was supposed to be bisexual had already been established. If that had been elaborated on, if Northstar had been stepping forward as another one of Herc's past lovers revealing something about the man they'd come to honor -- either about Herc himself or how Herc had impacted his life -- Northstar's presence at the funeral would be justified and I would have considered it a bold and admirable move by Pak and Van Lente. As written, however, it adds nothing to the audience's understanding of Hercules' bisexuality or his personality; like the previous instances, it's something nodded to in passing, but not given nearly the same weight as Herc's female conquests. The only purpose it serves is to shoehorn Northstar into that one panel out of the entire book, once again using him as Marvel's shorthand for queerness, which reduces him from a character that serves a purpose to a punchline.
    Last edited by suzene; 10-10-2010 at 03:55 AM.

I'm sure some Hercules fans are steaming over this "new" twist, but he's always been the perfect character to introduce a Bisexual fluidity too. He's already been written that way, thousands of years before comic books were even thought of.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by suzene View Post
    I disagree. Herc's past relationship with Hylas had already been given a nod in the series proper and he'd been shown flirting with other male characters previous to this issue, so the fact that Herc was supposed to be bisexual had already been established...
    Okay, I understand your point now.

- LM
    "History is made at night. Character is what you are in the dark."
    ~ Lord John Whorfin

lol @ Hercules' Greek Nature

Piling all this back history on any new AF ongoing or mini would in a big way just accent the failures. Better to move forward with good stories, and if those succeed, a fight with Pointer and/or dark X-Men could be treated as a Rogue's gallery fight, one with more at stake story wise
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The Gods (in many pantheon-style belief systems) are also rapists of the nastiest order. That does not mean you need to show distasteful lifestyles in a comic book.
    What is the topic here again? Oh yes - Marvel, get with it! You know that Alpha Flight is a great storytelling platform. There is nothing like it in comics. I am hoping this one-shot about the Chaos storyline inspires enough love for these characters to get them going again. I plan on buying this one-shot just to relive some of the memories from decades ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ClawMaraud View Post
    The Gods (in many pantheon-style belief systems) are also rapists of the nastiest order.
    Yeah, I've always wanted to see them portray Thor as if he were a Viking war god. As in, marauding up and down the Scandanavian coast, raping, pillaging, and looting.

- Le Messor
    Xander: How could you let her go?
    Giles: As the soon-to-be-purple area on my jaw will attest, I did not "let" her do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Yeah, I've always wanted to see them portray Thor as if he were a <i>Viking</i> war god. As in, marauding up and down the Scandanavian coast, raping, pillaging, and looting.
    Eric Larsen did that with Thor over in Savage Dragon. He was about as appealing a character as you might imagine. His deeds included raping a girl, leaving her pregnant with his child, and, when she returned to her life on Earth after the assault to raise the baby in peace, he tracked her down and killed her for hiding his son from him before kidnapping the child. And the superheroes couldn't lay a finger on him because of his godly power.

So yeah. I'll go with yon noble blondie over a more...erm...accurate depiction in this case.
    Last edited by suzene; 11-02-2010 at 09:07 PM.