Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Alpha Flight Returns in Chaos War:Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    They made piles of cash on Omega Flight, but they still screwed over the creative team and the fans on that one. I don't believe anything Brevoort or Joey Duh Q say..."Actions speak louder than words" and all that.

I am very glad that Alpha Flight is returning and being used in a big event...however, I will only believe that they are back for good, when I see it....Not before.

Dana

Agreed.

Seems like this Chaos War is bringing back almost everybody from the dead. Doubtful that more than a handful will stay alive when the event is finished. Wouldn't bet any money that Alpha Flight will stay alive, or together.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

They made piles of cash on Omega Flight
    Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    Hardly.
    OF sold better than a lot of the ongoing titles at the time.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Right about now, I'm more pleased with the idea of an Alpha Flight one-shot than an ongoing series. I don't like the way Marvel's handling their serieses (X-Men, mainly); the one-shots are usually much better comics.

Oh, and my interest level in the rest of this crossover is holding steady at zero.

- Le Messor
    "He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened."

I`m at negative zero for the rest of it.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Yeah...I'm also just picking up the Alpha One shot.

Dana

Yeah...I'm also just picking up the Alpha One shot.

Dana
    Me too.

I don't mind the cover art, really...But I am looking forward to the interior art. I enjoyed Reilly Brown's work on Hercules.

Dana

Marvel one shots are good. The last 6 part Ghost Rider with Hellstorm was good. Winter Guard was also good, splitting the paths of the new and old members.

As for who wants Alpha Flight back, I think its Snowbird now that I think about it. SHe and SNowbird where on the God Squad, as mentioned, in Secret Invasion and they did leave her in nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    OF sold better than a lot of the ongoing titles at the time.
    Yeah, and none of those ongoings were making piles of cash, either.

I'm actually interested in Chaos War, but I've had to scale down my comic buying to pretty nothing recently because of life getting in the way. Stupid life.

Yeah, and none of those ongoings were making piles of cash, either.
    OF 1 & 2 sold out and most of the titles the mini outperformed were ones involving A & B list characters that Marvel was pushing hard. My point is OF was a viable property that the company could have and should have backed but didn't. Joe Q had promised they'd turn it back into an ongoing if there was enough support for the book, which there was (more so than books like Runaways and Ms. Marvel) yet they choose not to.
    So, should we believe Brevoort when he says the same thing about the AF one-shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    OF 1 & 2 sold out and most of the titles the mini outperformed were ones involving A & B list characters that Marvel was pushing hard. My point is OF was a viable property that the company could have and should have backed but didn't. Joe Q had promised they'd turn it back into an ongoing if there was enough support for the book, which there was (more so than books like Runaways and Ms. Marvel) yet they choose not to.
    So, should we believe Brevoort when he says the same thing about the AF one-shot?
    It was also bleeding readers with every single issue, dropping every month. The lower selling titles like Runaways had established fan bases and proved that they could hold steady with figures they had. The numbers simply did not show that OF would be viable as an ongoing.

So yes, we should believe him, but it takes a LOT of sales to prove to them that something is worth taking a bigger chance on, especially in today's market where whenever they DO take a chance on something unproven, it generally tanks. I'm not holding my breath that this will sell nearly enough, but more one-shots and minis could definitely be possible if it does well (see: the Hulk and the Winter Guard one-shot leading to a three-issue mini).

It was also bleeding readers with every single issue, dropping every month. The lower selling titles like Runaways had established fan bases and proved that they could hold steady with figures they had. The numbers simply did not show that OF would be viable as an ongoing.

So yes, we should believe him, but it takes a LOT of sales to prove to them that something is worth taking a bigger chance on, especially in today's market where whenever they DO take a chance on something unproven, it generally tanks. I'm not holding my breath that this will sell nearly enough, but more one-shots and minis could definitely be possible if it does well (see: the Hulk and the Winter Guard one-shot leading to a three-issue mini).
    It was bleeding sales because Marvel reduced it from an ongoing to a mini which forced Oeming to rewrite issues 2-5. As a result the story suffered and the readers (many of whom didn't know the poor writing was due the change in the books status) left. Who knows what could have been had it remained an ongoing and Oeming had told the story he planned. AFter all, the first issue sold around 71 000 books including the 2nd printing. That was the book that was untouched by the decision to reduce the series to a mini.
    And AF is a proven product, at least it was before years of crap treatment left the team a joke in most readers' eyes. As far as I'm concerned, Brevoort is just using the pat industry line to hype up sales with no intention of following through on it just like with OF. I guess we'll have to wait and see though.

Didn't they do second printings for the first two issues of Omega or am I misremembering that?

Dana

I think you're right, Dana.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.