Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: alpha flight returns in chaos war!!!

If you have a Twitter account, send that you want more AF to @Marvel.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

mreez - I'd like to see us sending a 'thank you, this is great' first (if you think so, of course).

I think a lot of the time, a big problem people have is that people keep saying 'I want! I want! I want!' but never acknowledging when they get. And I think relations between Marvel and Alpha fanhood are... shall we say 'strained'.
    I'd like to think a lot of thank yous from Alpha fanhood would help there.

Of course, a 'CW:AF was great, more! More!' I'm sure wouldn't go too far astray.

- LM
    "I am Procrastitron. I will destroy you, eventually."

Do we have any idea what sales may have been for the one-shot? Perhaps it's too early to know?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

It was good. Not great but promising. Although did Marrina need to be there? All she did was get ugly real fast. I think Talisman would have been a better fit (I admit I'm biased) or if you wanted a dead Alphan then Diamond Lil. But yeah, I'd like to have another special or perhaps mini-series to better ascertain this creative team.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Do we have any idea what sales may have been for the one-shot? Perhaps it's too early to know?

Dana
    way too early to tell

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeO View Post
    It was good. Not great but promising. Although did Marrina need to be there? All she did was get ugly real fast. I think Talisman would have been a better fit (I admit I'm biased) or if you wanted a dead Alphan then Diamond Lil. But yeah, I'd like to have another special or perhaps mini-series to better ascertain this creative team.
    The purpose was to capture the spirit of the original team. I missed Talisman too, but she came later.

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Hmm, did I sound too harsh? Didn't mean to as I did really enjoy the issue and found it to be a very organic tie-in to Chaos War. But with any tie-in to a main event you're limited in what you can tell. But Jim nailed the relationships down, I greatly enjoyed that and Reily's Great Beasts were stunning. Everyone catch what I think Shaman said. That their powers were augmented? I guess that explains Marrina's water cyclones and Heather's Vindicator suit having what I think were her old geo-thermal powers from Vol 2. I also loved when Aurora said they belonged here and not with the X-Men.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeO View Post
    Everyone catch what I think Shaman said. That their powers were augmented? I guess that explains Marrina's water cyclones and Heather's Vindicator suit having what I think were her old geo-thermal powers from Vol 2.
    Yeah, I figured that was why mere mortals were able to curb-stomp alien gods with such ease too.

Shaman also said the Chaos King had destroyed the various realms of death... does that mean all the dead heroes that don't show up in Chaos War have been wiped out of existence, or have they been spat out somewhere on Earth and we just haven't seen them yet?
    Last edited by Legerd; 11-29-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Only the AF members that returned from the grave were augmented, and really I didn't see anything they did that they couldn't do themselves. I loved Snowbird's blast, but was that somehow created with Shaman?

It makes sense the Great Beasts were taking it to the Chaos King, as one Great Beast in Hercules was taking on the entire army and was doing incredibly well.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Sending a snail-mail letter to Marvel telling them the one-shot is well-done, and more would be even better.

Not much could've been improved, IMO. Sure, there is one misspelling of "Tanaraq", but what is an Alpha Flight book without one misspelling (this is consistent from the old series, too, though MARVEL doesn't have to make it a habit ).

Mention of Mac and Heather's baby? BIG check
    Didn't forget Puck? check
    Didn't forget the others whom Shaman wasn't able to bring back? big check (and cleverly didn't mention anyone by name)
    Snowbird and Shaman have a warm, close connection? BIG check
    Snowbird and Northstar really understand what their situation is? very BIG check
    Ranaq not there and the Great Beasts trying to save their realm for....what? BIG, BIG check
    No Talisman? Maybe next time
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    Yeah, I figured that was why mere mortals were able to curb-stomp alien gods with such ease too.

Shaman also said the Chaos King had destroyed the various realms of death... does that mean all the dead heroes that don't show up in Chaos War have been wiped out of existence, or have they been spat out somewhere on Earth and we just haven't seen them yet?
    AF is only "awake" because of Sasquatch's deal with the Great Beasts. Everyone else is in a "slumber" between Dream/Nightmare/Death.
    To see more on that see my thread in the "Other Comics" section for "CHAOS WAR: DEAD AVENGERS".

So even the "Dead Heroes" (and people) are caught in this Dream/Nightmare/Death realm that the Chaos King has created. So no one else would pop up "alive" suddenly on Earth where AF (or anyone else) would see them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    Not much could've been improved, IMO. Sure, there is one misspelling of "Tanaraq", but what is an Alpha Flight book without one misspelling (this is consistent from the old series, too, though MARVEL doesn't have to make it a habit ).
    Aww, they're just paying homage to the Byrne days. "You've never faced the true test of your powers! Fool it now!"

Didn't forget the others whom Shaman wasn't able to bring back? big check (and cleverly didn't mention anyone by name)
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that. (the no-name thing.)

Snowbird and Northstar really understand what their situation is? very BIG check
    Um, now you're putting a bad taste in my mouth. I'm suddenly remembering the Infinity crossover, where you read all the sub-books, and every single one has a character who is the "only one" who knows "what's really going on". In Alpha, I think it was Karkass, the villain?

After a while, I stopped feeling warm and fuzzy because our characters were special for knowing that and started feeling like it was a marketing ploy designed to make me feel warm and fuzzy because our characters were special for knowing that.

- Le Messor
    "I believe that our Heavenly Father invented man because he was dissapointed in the monkey."
    ~ Mark Twain

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post

Um, now you're putting a bad taste in my mouth. I'm suddenly remembering the Infinity crossover, where you read all the sub-books, and every single one has a character who is the "only one" who knows "what's really going on". In Alpha, I think it was Karkass, the villain?

After a while, I stopped feeling warm and fuzzy because our characters were special for knowing that and started feeling like it was a marketing ploy designed to make me feel warm and fuzzy because our characters were special for knowing that.

- Le Messor
    I wasn't as clear as I meant to be (again): Snowbird and Northstar aren't knowing in an omniscient way, just that they are aware that the consequences of the conflict are dire. The Beasts' strategy is as brilliant as it is vile: Alpha Flight fights the Chaos Kings' minions surrounded by cannibalistic Wendigos as the Great Beasts manifest to their ultimate on Earth. Talk about getting the short end of the stick all the way around.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Images

I wasn't as clear as I meant to be (again): Snowbird and Northstar aren't knowing in an omniscient way, just that they are aware that the consequences of the conflict are dire...
    Ohhh... That's much better than what I got.

- Le Messor
    "You can tell me, I'm a doctor."
    ~ Leslie Nielsen (RIP).