Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Alpha Flight!

Okay....More on heights of characters...Check out Marrina in her first appearance in Alpha Flight Vol 1, #1

ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by mreeez View Post
    OMG, that's fantastic! I can't wait for the one-shot.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Okay....More on heights of characters...Check out Marrina in her first appearance in Alpha Flight Vol 1, #1
    Wow! Guardian's taller than I thought! Taller than any three people standing on each other's heads!

S'rously, I thought of posting that image. But then I didn't.

It does add Beta and Gamma to the mix, though. Lil seems to be taller than anyone but Sas.

- Le Messor
    "Home is the place where your computer lives and runs your life."

Interview excerpt from Reilly Brown

Can you give us a hint as to what you have in store for us in the future?
    Up next is an Alpha Flight one-shot that ties into Chaos War. There are a lot of rabid Alpha Flight fans out there who have been e-mailing me to make sure I remember to draw Northstar with pointy ears and things like that, so I'm impressed with the amount of enthusiasm around the project. Jim McCann's writing it, and he's a huge Alpha Flight fan, so hopefully this will satisfy everyone's desires for Canadian superheroes for now-- or at least wet everyone's appetites. If the book does well enough, and the editors hear enough feedback, who knows? Maybe there will be some more Alpha on the horizon.
    Full interview HERE
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

I love the fact that there's a copy of Alpha Flight Classic on his desk for reference...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I love the fact that there's a copy of Alpha Flight Classic on his desk for reference...
    More importantly, look next to it; on top of his copy of 'Drawing the Human something something'. That red line is pointing straight at drawings of at least two of the Great Beasts - I recognise Somon the Artificer, and Ranaq next to him; and could that be Kariooq the corrupter above Somon?

I can't make out much from the page of comic art, but in the middle of the left-hand side there's a woman with a headdress. She could be Snowbird, but looks more like Scarlet Witch - and of course, this may have nothing to do with Alpha Flight.

- Le Messor
    Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Ham?
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Ha, likewise!

Also, I am officially a rabid fan! Yay! I want a badge or something.

One of the things you have to becareful of when comparing the heights of Alpha in those 2 pictures of Byrnes is the positioning of the characters. They are not all on the same plane, they are standing one in front of the other. Perspective-wise that will have a slight affect in how tall they appear (for example Marrina may in fact be taller than Aurora but since she is behind Aurora she looks slightly shorter). I'm not saying that Marvel got the heights wrong, it's just that unless they stand side by side/shoulder to shoulder all Reilly has to go by is the handbook.

DIGGER

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    One of the things you have to becareful of when comparing the heights of Alpha in those 2 pictures of Byrnes is the positioning of the characters...
    I was thinking about that when looking. Their feet are all in one single line in all three pics, indicating that that isn't the case; also, for perspective alone to make the kind of difference we're talking about, they'd have to be standing very far apart - far farther than would make sense for a group shot like any of the three.

All that said, I have to admit that after I scanned my two images in and tried to make them the same scale, it became obvious that they weren't particularly consistent. I don't believe Dana's is, either (if you take all three together)

- Le Messor
    Nerk

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    One of the things you have to becareful of when comparing the heights of Alpha in those 2 pictures of Byrnes is the positioning of the characters. They are not all on the same plane, they are standing one in front of the other. Perspective-wise that will have a slight affect in how tall they appear (for example Marrina may in fact be taller than Aurora but since she is behind Aurora she looks slightly shorter). I'm not saying that Marvel got the heights wrong, it's just that unless they stand side by side/shoulder to shoulder all Reilly has to go by is the handbook.

DIGGER
    I think that's what I said above (quoted myself below), Dig...Does everybody have me on ignore or some such?

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Marrina certainly doesn't look 6 ft there, but with Heather and the twins in the second pic...Keep in mind they are behind her, perhaps by a foot. They may still be taller than her, if they were standing right beside her. Heather does look pretty tall there, if Wolvie is 5'3" and Heather is standing behind him...She looks taller than 5'5" there (more like 5'9" or something?).

LOL...Sasquatch is slouching in the second picture.
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 10-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    More importantly, look next to it; on top of his copy of 'Drawing the Human something something'. That red line is pointing straight at drawings of at least two of the Great Beasts - I recognise Somon the Artificer, and Ranaq next to him; and could that be Kariooq the corrupter above Somon?

I can't make out much from the page of comic art, but in the middle of the left-hand side there's a woman with a headdress. She could be Snowbird, but looks more like Scarlet Witch - and of course, this may have nothing to do with Alpha Flight.

- Le Messor
    Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Homer: Ham?
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.
    How on Earth are you seeing all that, Mik? It's making my eyes bleed trying to make out what's on those pages...

Dana

Images

Does everybody have me on ignore or some such?
    Yep, Dana, it's a rule we have here, didn't you know?

I don't think a foot behind her would affect perspective that much.

How on Earth are you seeing all that, Mik? It's making my eyes bleed trying to make out what's on those pages...
    The woman with the headdress is the only thing I can make out on that page. The Great Beast picture is the sort of thing I recognise because I know what they look like.

- Le Messor
    "Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."
    ~ Franklin P. Jones

What's going on here?
    This is... well, it goes far beyond my mental sanity for sure...
    I missed some months of this forum and when I return I discover that...
    ... MARVEL IS BRINGING BACK THE GREATEST SUPEHERO TEAM OF ALL TIME...?!
    Please, if this is a dream, just make me sleep!

Marrina. I want Marrina. They already brought back Snowbird, so now I just need Marrina.

Oh God, I'm so excited!

I'm 100% fine with the magical/infernal comeback. It screams RETCON from every letter, but who cares. They could have go through the "temporal copies were killed, not the real ones" path anyway.
    Last edited by SNOWCHILD; 10-16-2010 at 07:20 AM.
    NARYA EASTON just saved the world, even if nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by swh_comicguy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2335ba6e76c86a0e79&#52.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	557
    This cover... it's like Alpha Flight are saying readers: "Look out, we're back with a vengeance, and we're the real deal: X-MEN SUCK!" Hahahha.
    That's why Marvel killed them in the very first place. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    My point was not that the series instantly declined. My point was more that Byrne made a huge mistake, and he did it out of boredom and not liking the team he was writing. he was the only writer who could write Mac and make him interesting. All attempts at resurrecting him have failed, mainly because nobody knew who he really was or what to do with him. As a character, only Byrne knew him. In some way, it is almost like JB committed suicide when he killed off Guardian...
    Fact is, Guardian/Mac was the "normal" guy interacting with the weirdest creatures on the planet (Snowbird, Marrina, Sas, the twins). When Byrne killed him, he basically killed the "normal" viewers' point of view. That was the interesting trick to play, the interaction between Mac and the guys. Maybe Byrne didn't fully understand that, and just killed Mac out of "boredom" --- or because he was thinking Mac as a Captain America replica. He wasn't.

If they're gonna do a new AF title, they need to play new cards, not killing off members just for the sake of it.
    They need to focus on the most recognizable members (the originals) and just use some old Betans as "guests". Manikin should be the first one.
    They need to mix up Byrne's and Mantlo's flavour (I loved Mantlo's run) and come up with some new "spices" as well.
    Last edited by SNOWCHILD; 10-16-2010 at 07:35 AM.