Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of Alpha Flight!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I actually enjoyed almost every Byrne issue after Mac died (after getting over the shock of his death, of course)...I don't see the issues going downhill (except after Byrne left), but that's just my feeling. I loved Talisman's intro, the Great Beast stories (even with the Sasquatch/Tanaraq revelation), The Plodex killings and the return of the Master, Roger Bochs and Madison Jeffries joining up and I thought the fake-out Guardian resurrection was genius.

Dana
    You're not the only one! I LOVE Talisman, Walter's wacky dying shenanigans and the fake-out Guardian resurrection. That last one, an awesome story, AND he managed to take a dig at Mac's lame resurrection years before it actually happened!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    I actually enjoyed almost every Byrne issue after Mac died (after getting over the shock of his death, of course)...I don't see the issues going downhill (except after Byrne left), but that's just my feeling. I loved Talisman's intro, the Great Beast stories (even with the Sasquatch/Tanaraq revelation), The Plodex killings and the return of the Master, Roger Bochs and Madison Jeffries joining up and I thought the fake-out Guardian resurrection was genius.

Dana
    My point was not that the series instantly declined. My point was more that Byrne made a huge mistake, and he did it out of boredom and not liking the team he was writing. he was the only writer who could write Mac and make him interesting. All attempts at resurrecting him have failed, mainly because nobody knew who he really was or what to do with him. As a character, only Byrne knew him. In some way, it is almost like JB committed suicide when he killed off Guardian...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    My point was not that the series instantly declined. My point was more that Byrne made a huge mistake, and he did it out of boredom and not liking the team he was writing. he was the only writer who could write Mac and make him interesting. All attempts at resurrecting him have failed, mainly because nobody knew who he really was or what to do with him. As a character, only Byrne knew him. In some way, it is almost like JB committed suicide when he killed off Guardian...
    Eh, I don't know, I don't feel like the book suffered any without Mac. The developments made to Heather's character, IMO, more than outweighed anything JB could have done with Mac, especially seeing as he killed him off BECAUSE there wasn't anything interesting left he wanted to do with him. Dying was the most interesting thing Mac ever did, under Byrne or anyone.

I beg to differ. Mac never had much to do because the first 11 issues were split 60/40 story/origin. Mac never had the chance to develop like Heather did because of the need for character origins in the beginning. He was like Reed Richards or Tony Stark in that he was the developer/inventor but never got to expand on it.

DIGGER

Maybe in the new AF there will be a small company called Hudson Tech, to compete with Roxxon, Hammer Industries, Stark Resilient... in whatever sector Hudson Tech is involved in. Not weapons, of course.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    I beg to differ. Mac never had much to do because the first 11 issues were split 60/40 story/origin. Mac never had the chance to develop like Heather did because of the need for character origins in the beginning. He was like Reed Richards or Tony Stark in that he was the developer/inventor but never got to expand on it.

DIGGER
    Yeah, but it was Mac's death that triggered a lot of that growth on Heather's part. Had he survived and gotten a bit more development on his own, she wouldn't be the same character, and given Byrne's own boredom with him, I think we came out better for losing him.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    Yeah, but it was Mac's death that triggered a lot of that growth on Heather's part. Had he survived and gotten a bit more development on his own, she wouldn't be the same character, and given Byrne's own boredom with him, I think we came out better for losing him.
    I'm with Digger on this, I'd much rather see Mac lead the team as Guardian because we haven't had that development of his character. We've seen Heather grow and develop as a character and that's why, I think, the overwhelming majority of AF fans would rather see her as the leader. She is a known quantity and one that many like but Mac never got that chance to grow and develop.

I say give him that chance and maybe he can be an iconic character in the hands of a writer that isn't 'bored' with him.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07 View Post
    Byrne was the only author who has undeedstood Mac, what drove him and what he was like beneath the Guardian suit. Then he grew bored, and killed him. And comics have been all downhill from there. It's time to let Mac rest - for good.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Mac has so much potential that has been wasted because every writer since Byrne just keeps killing him off for shock value.

I have a feeling that they are going to bring Alpha back, and Mac will sacrifice himself again to save the others.

Mac is one of my favourite characters and will be truly upset if he doesnt come back with the team.

i completely agree, i never felt mac was fully developed, he only lasted 12 issues. if they bring him back, just to kill him for shock value i will swear off comics forever. that will be beyond cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mreeez View Post
    I'm with Digger on this, I'd much rather see Mac lead the team as Guardian because we haven't had that development of his character. We've seen Heather grow and develop as a character and that's why, I think, the overwhelming majority of AF fans would rather see her as the leader. She is a known quantity and one that many like but Mac never got that chance to grow and develop.

I say give him that chance and maybe he can be an iconic character in the hands of a writer that isn't 'bored' with him.
    Mac is still, essentially...A blank slate. He has a lot of room to grow, since not a lot was done to flesh him out, in most of his appearances...What do we really know about him? I would definitely like for him to be fleshed out, if he is to remain in the land of the living.

However...I still would rather see Heather be leader, since for the most part Mac has been characterized (mostly during the Byrne years of Alpha) as not really wanting the job. Heather has more experience and drive to be leader. The option of co-leaders would also be an interesting angle for Mac and Heather, especially if the team were to break into two groups from time to time (when needed).

I haven't really seen it addressed much, but I think even though Northstar is an X-Man...He could certainly be an Alpha Flight member as well...If Wolverine can be on 3 or more teams, certainly a speedster who can fly can be on two. In any case, I would hope that any Alpha Flight creative team would have dibs on him and Aurora, but still...There's no reason he can't be on more than one team. The increased exposure might do both Jean Paul (depending on how he is written) and the other Alphans some good.

Dana
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 08-24-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: I apologize, but I kept adding to my post.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

If anything were to come from the Chaos War one shot, I wouldn't mind seeing Alpha in a mini-series (maybe 4-6 issues) once or twice a year...That is, if an ongoing is out of the question.

Dana

I think an important aspect of the Mac/Heather debate goes to Byrne's roots of the character. Mac NEVER wanted to be leader. Unless something in their experiences clearly changes that, I think the character would best be served in an admistrative supporting role. The ONLY detriment to Hether's leadership is her tendency to fire on teammates a little two quickly, as she has done to both Marrina and Snowbird (with fatal results that second time.) Being the oldest of 7 lent her a natural take-charge leadership.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Koz,

I feel Heather has "grown" past that (I believe Mr Mantlo is the party responsible for her blast-happy moments in both instances you mentioned)...Other writers came in and made her a bit more level-headed as Volume One went on.

Dana

With Mac being the leader he brings the reluctant hero to the forefront. He may not seem to want the job but he does wear a costume that is made up of the Canadian flag. That alone makes him the most immediately recognizable member. It is just like the Avengers in that when Cap wasn't in charge it still felt like he SHOULD BE just because of what he was wearing (I know that sounds kind of fickle but that was the impression I got). As for Heather being "trigger happy", I chalk that up to being a convenient way for the "author" to shock the reader or to move the story along.

DIGGER (as you can probably tell I am a huge Guardian fan...nothing against Heather...after all I married a redhead.

Well I think my idea of Hudson Tech (company) would fly, and Mac could be the leader of the team. After all, Heather has always been more of an administrator when not in action.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.