Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Alpha Flight RPG Thread

Default The Alpha Flight RPG Thread

The title of the Games forum says it's the home of the Alpha Flight RPG. Does one exist here?

I propose an Alpha-centric RPG, so we can get our Alpha fix.

The Setting: Alpha Flight's earliest days when James MacDonald Hudson was locating members for Alpha Flight and the subsequent lower tier Flights. The RPG can draw from the books as needed.

The Characters: Any of the original Alphans, Betans, Gammans, Stitch. If you ever wanted to play Narya, now's your chance!

The "Staff": The RPG will need people to moderate and generate plots for the game. If you have a lot of ideas, this is for you. Many RPGs exist in forum form--seen them but never actually partiicupated, and they can have a longevity of many years with dedicated staff and players.

Keep watching this thread or chime in with your own ideas.

--Raja, out!

Marrina's #1 Fan Miles First Flight

that would be awesome atm im in a marvel rpg as the sole alpha resident be nice to join one all about the flight

What are your thoughts on how closely to canon a set-up like this should adhere to? For example, what if someone wanted to play Wildchild, but start him off on a more redemptive arc? And would we be side-stepping major events like Mac's death? I think it'd be kind of hard to convince someone to pick up Guardian if they knew he was going to be reduced to slag not far down the line. So far as available characters, some of the second wave and second and third volume Alphans would probably have been in existence during the early days of Alpha Flight too. Some wouldn't be available just yet -- Kara and Laura wouldn't have manifested yet, Flex, Murmur, Ghost Girl, and Radius probably wouldn't have either, but Puck II, Yukon Jack, and some of the others might be bumping around if anyone felt like doing something with them.

Not sure if I'd play yet -- I've already got a Marvel RPG on my hands and I'm mostly only interested in Northstar -- but I do like brainstorming.

Marrina's #1 Fan Miles First Flight

good question tough answer, but I think an alternate marvel would be the best to where if someone wanted to be wild child and do to redemption arc or be guardian where he didnt die I think we should just make our own history of alpha

Anyone working on this still? I'd be very interested! I might even be able to bring a couple of really good rpg friends! I'd love to explore the Alpha Flight that Blink and group ran into with the Hulk (where the Hulk would have killed everyone). Any thoughts on that? I kinda think it'd be fun to have Wolverine as the head of it maybe?

Thoughts anyone?

all good thoughts. even if it were to get up and running, i am just afraid i would not have the time to devote to it, unfort.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Doh! Too bad, I'd LOVE to see someone do justice to Wildchild. But with this crew of talented people ya never know!

I suppose I COULD start a board and see what folks do? I could play Wolverine as team leader NPC... *fanged grins*

And of course I'd love to explore my original character Remedy in the early days of the Flight as a mid-to-late-teen maybe! Ohhhh the fun!

I've been busy but still up for this! I was thinking to start with the beginning of the Flight and making up our own history from there. Some characters wouldn't be available initially like you said, for not having emerged, but they could be introduced in later plots and story arcs. Guardian wouldn't automatically have to die. If someone wanted to start a character off on a different note, they could. I'd still like to try to capture the 'feel' of Alpha Flight if we can. It's nice to see people interested in this!

Oh man, I would adore being part of an Alpha Flight RPG. I think the best way would be to create a new Alpha Flight sub-group (Sigma Flight?) and each of us create our own new characters with own new powers. The sub-group would answer to the current Alpha Flight leader, but could be an undercover operation unknown to the government, Department H and even other AF members. How awesome would that be?

Canada's Top Superhero New Recruit

That'd be phenomenal. I'd be down.

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Looks like lots wish to join but no one has started it . The last one I participated in was a Lord of the Rings forum story. My wife and I made the plot and controlled the NPCs while the other players simply controlled their characters. I'd be willing to take the "GM" position and get the ball rolling. We just have to decide if you are using your own characters or will be taking control of The Flight itself. Personally I think having your own characters personalizes them more and gives you creative freedom, but that's up to you.

So, anyone interested? Chime in and let us know if you prefer pre-made or original characters.

EDIT: Actually, let's do this. The time for talk is over.

Alpha Flight: The Beta Chronicles
    Setting: Modern Day-Alpha Flight consists of the Byrne line-up at their strongest but they have only recently gone public as Canada's Gov't sponsored team.
    Characters: Original. Part of the Beta Flight program having recently graduated from Gamma Flight.

Player responsibilities: Provide Bio, appearance, power-set (mutant, tech, magic, meta). Please no Sentry level characters.

If you are interested in joining then just simply create your Biography below. Once I have at least three bio's I'll start the story and flesh out the setting in the first post.
    Last edited by DaVeO; 04-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

I'm totally game to be in it DaVeO, however I have never been in a RPG before. So before we get going, how exactly does it work? I create a character and then what? We all email each other once a week to contribute to the story? We put it on here?

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

No prob I'm happy to explain. The way my wife and I played it, it was like constructing a story together with the other players. The PC's aka Player Characters (you guys 'n gals) create your characters and only have control with that character for the most part.

Example: Jeff (PC) hurried to catch up with his teammates from Beta. He couldn't believe they were about to go on their first field mission, true it was simply a search and rescue but still, they'll be out of their training uniforms and wearing their "hero" gear. Jeff adjusted his belt which gave him his gravity control powers and made sure the gauntlets were attuned to the correct waveband (for the tenth time). As he entered the hangar he caught a look from Mr. Jeffries aka Box who would be leading the mission along with Puck, and stopped fidgeting with his gear. Mr. Jeffries tried to instill in Jeff that over checking your tech usually ended up creating problems rather then fixing them. Jeff lined up with his fellow teammates taking a place beside Bethany. End Example

Here we see the PC describing actions and inner thoughts and perhaps even an incident that happened earlier with Box regarding Jeff's gear. I'll put forth the situation and the players react to it and each others actions. If a previous poster used his super strength to knock Absorbing Man through a wall you can follow up on that. Be flexible but also don't hog all the spotlight. Think of it as a page in a team book where this is your page to strut your stuff but you can't solve the problem in a single page alone. Also, don't take direct control of other players. Little things are fine, short responses that are in-character to how they have been portrayed, having them leap out of the way of a crashing building. It keeps the story flowing but doesn't peeve people off that they are being controlled.

OK Example: Jeff halted the fall of the statue by creating a gravity bubble above Bethany and giving her time to scramble out of the way to which she gave a thankful nod.

Not OK: Jeff lifted Bethany off the ground by negating the gravity around her and brought her to the fifth floor. She then proceeded to enter the apartment and scan for survivors, when she could not find any she radioed back to the shuttle and gave a report. If the PC playing Bethany didn't give permission to be lifted up in her own post then it shouldn't have happened. In fact in that case Bethany could have taken over and just used Jeff's power (since he already offered) to describe her ascent (story flow and frees up both characters, Jeff no longer has to wait for a response and Bethany can continue posting). However. Jeff's PC continued using Bethany even after he lifted her up. In a previous post Jeff could have offered to lift Bethany to the fifth floor then end his postleaving it up to Bethany's PC.

I hope that didn't seem too complicated. But considering RPG manuals are usually a couple of hundred pages I think I did alright. I hope everyone is alright with how I handle using other characters, I had no problems doing it this way in my last group. Generally people are respectful and usually don't even do it until we have a few pages of posts under out belt so we get a feel for each others characters. Even then the usage should be minimal. I don't mind PC's using NPC (non-player characters) to interact with. You just can't be having them do things that gives your own character special treatment "Guardian helped modify my belt so I can now lift up an aircraft carrier!" Uhh, no. During combat scenes the villain can also be used sparingly if he is directly interacting with your character.

Also no, there is no dice rolling as that slows a forum story way down.
    Posts are put up in the story thread which I'll create when we have enough people.
    I'll create a separate thread for OOC (out of character) chatter regarding the story so their are no interruptions. Actually this could be the OOC thread and character bios.
    Please use spell check. It helps with story flow. Some like to type out in word or office first for spell check then copy/paste to the forum.
    Last edited by DaVeO; 04-25-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Canada's Top Superhero New Recruit

NAME: Eagle

BIOGRAPHY: Eagle is someone who is laid back, and stumbled upon his power by accident. Something from out of this world gave him the option of having "whatever he wanted for free". He does not know what it was, but he accepted after a particularly bad game of golf. Sadly, he got what he asked for: "to be better at the game of golf". To be explained in detail soon. After displaying his talent/power, he attempted to get into Beta Flight.
    APPEARANCE: Looks like your run of the mill, average human. Has not discovered a costume which will work for him.
    KNOWN POWERS: Perfect accuracy. Never misses. Usually carries around a golf club, and a pack full of hundreds of golf balls. If he loses concentration, or if he attempts something too far outside his range of distance, he will fail.

Okay, just have to say it...ROTFLMAO.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/