Thread: Northstar in Hellbound #3

Default Northstar in Hellbound #3

No surprise really, since it was sort of a cliffhanger from issue #2.

Preview pages here

I love the little reference to when Anole popped him in the mouth in X-Men: Divided we Stand #1.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I don't. That story was a decent idea with a rotten execution and I'm annoyed that it's being acknowledged as canon. I'm also wondering why Northstar didn't a) get to Sam and Victor first and b) just go pluck the little green guy off of Sam's back while they were taking off. Sam gets his blast-shield to protect him, but I'm not sure that applies to passengers. I'm going to assume it's part of Gambit's plan until the book's actually out, but it tweaks my usual annoyance with the speedster being too slow to react to obvious plans.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Northstar (and Aurora) don't have faster reactions than normal people.
    Byrne's said so.

So there.

- Le Messor
    "He has not acquired a fortune; the fortune has acquired him."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Northstar (and Aurora) don't have faster reactions than normal people.
    Byrne's said so.

So there.
    And everyone since Byrne has ignored the idea of the twins not having faster-than-normal reflexes, since that would mean they'd be constantly crashing into things in flight, so tphhht.

Not to mention that still doesn't make any sense -- in the two or three seconds it took for Sam to actually get Anole on his back, anyone could start to react, especially given that some kind of escape would have been anticipated. The difference being that Northstar has the powerset that should have made the time between "start to react" and "reaching Sam and Anole" practically nil, and again, there's no reason he shouldn't have caught up with them after. It's obvious enough that, for now, I'm going with it being a Cunning Plan instead of the usual "Hey, let's hand the speedster the Idiot Ball", since Yost not killing off any of Team Gay has earned him a little extra good will.

Images

I usually ignore what people post-Byrne do. I mean, just because, for once they're doing it because their way actually makes sense...

For the rest... I haven't read the issue yet, so I can't really comment on the specifics... but have you been reading TV Tropes? Don't you know it will ruin your life?

- Le Messor
    "Due to the extremely violent nature of this scene, we offer instead to those faint-hearted readers Bob Layton's recipe for a delicious beef stroganoff!
    "Chop and brown one yello onion..."
    - Captions from Hercules: Full Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    ...have you been reading TV Tropes? Don't you know it will ruin your life?
    Yeah. Mostly because everyone in my online circle reads TV Tropes; if I want to follow fandom discussions, I need to keep up with the shorthand.

I think Byrne meant that their reaction time is not faster than normal when they are not employing their speed powers. For "scientific credibility" they really have to have super-human reaction time while moving at superhuman speeds. At least I figure that theory works with the powers--including Byrne's use--and his on=page statements that they don't have enhanced reactions times.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Images

Kozzi, that makes sense.

Also, I once had the same problem as your sig after playing computer games for hours in a row.

- Le Messor
    "He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree."