Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Reason For Alpha Flight

Ive always liked Arachne/Spider-Woman. I dont really connect her as being an Alphan though, personally. She appeared in what, 3 issues with Sasquatch and Talisman and one brief cameo when they got swarmed by Chthon bees. I have more connection with Yukon Jack then Julia cuz I always connect h er more with WCA and Force Works. It would be a shame though

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def View Post
    Ive always liked Arachne/Spider-Woman. I dont really connect her as being an Alphan though, personally. She appeared in what, 3 issues with Sasquatch and Talisman and one brief cameo when they got swarmed by Chthon bees. I have more connection with Yukon Jack then Julia cuz I always connect h er more with WCA and Force Works. It would be a shame though
    Yeah, Alphan or not, I really like her. Fingers crossed.

I haven't read all the replies so if I write something that has been writen before let me know.

I believe that Alpha has the same probloms as Excalibure dose that they are not in the US and only seems to last as a novalty. This book needs a kick ass writer and artest that will stay on the book for along time. When Byrne did the book it wasn't always a team, they break off as individuals and as smaller groups of 2 or 3. The original line up was so rich in diversities with the individuals that had fantastic back stories. The team was a cross section of the MU: Guardian is tech (Iron Man) Snowbird is a God (Thor) North Star & Aurora are mutans (X-Men) Merina is a swimmer (Sub Mariner) Shaman is magic (Dr. Strange) Sasquatch the powerhouse (Hulk) Puck the agile one (Spider Man/ Dare Devil) After issue #50 vol I the new charaters added were not very good at all, or lacked the charm of their predisesors.

If this book will ever be succesful again they 1 tone down the Canadian patritizum 2 have more intersting charaters like the original line up 3 have a kick ass writer and artist 4 stop the Canadian goverment's involvment with the team. If I wanted to see a fedral inqury I'd watch CPAC.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Alpha Rider,

I'd put Puck as 'badass normal' (do not look that up on TV Tropes; you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...), but otherwise, nice summary.
    Your other points were made, but nobody's going to tell you that, because none of us is that rude.

'patritizum'? I'm not... familiar with that term.

- Le Messor
    "Have you lived in this village all your life?"
    "No, not yet."

'patritizum'? I'm not... familiar with that term. Typing and answering a 4yearolds "Why" questions at the same time. Or just bad spelling/ grammer. What I ment to say was Overly Patriotic.

Images

Oh.

Why?

Images

Now you're really on Alpha Waves...

I believe there has to be some degree of reinvention, as well. Some of the new characters that were introduced in and for Alpha Flight were just awful.

The key will be a decisive direction and good writing. Unfortunately, without disrespecting any writer that's been on board with the book, we haven't really had that in a long time. Problem is I don't know if anyone really knows what to do with Alpha Flight.

I think for starters you can pretty much forget about having either one of the McKenzies in any kind of active role in the team - other than mentor, maybe.

I have to say, though, I liked the design/concept behind the Ultimate X-Men Snowbird over Byrne's original. Somehow the idea of an Inuit demi-goddess that looks like a poster child for Norwegian repopulation campaigns never sat right with me (i.e. white and very very blonde).

Julia Carpenter (formerly known as Arachne) is now apparently back in the States...

Spoliers:
    After the Spider-Man event: The Grim Hunt, Julia somehow inherited the late Madame Web's abilities and has also taken her name...She's the new Madame Web.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Well this is old news, but some may not have heard yet.

SPOILER

USAgent during Seige had his arm and leg cut off by Nuke using Odin's spear and is now bound to a wheelchair.

END SPOILER

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    Well this is old news, but some may not have heard yet.

SPOILER

USAgent during Seige had his arm and leg cut off by Nuke using Odin's spear and is now bound to a wheelchair.

END SPOILER
    Yeah, I had heard he was maimed somehow, but I didn't know the specifics of his injuries.

They'll probably stick a cybernetic arm and leg on him at some point...Who doesn't have cybernetic parts these days?...LOL! Ugh!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kinghorsey View Post
    I think for starters you can pretty much forget about having either one of the McKenzies in any kind of active role in the team - other than mentor, maybe.
    It's spelled 'McKenzie', but I take it it's pronounced 'Hudson'?

- Le Messor
    "He looks like a horse in a man costume!"
    ~ Bernard Black

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I think a good way to start the new book is kind of how it started in the first place - in other series. Give them enough guest appearances to intrigue the readers of those series; and write them in a way that portrays them as interesting and sympathetic. (Note to prospective writers: the 'sym' part of that last word is very important.)

Get readers used to them before the series starts, rather than just throwing it out there and hoping people notice.

- Le Messor
    "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, and the trouble is I don’t know which half."
    ~ John Wanamaker
    Completely agree with this. It is, to one varying degree or another, what i was suggesting earlier, after all.

Oh, by the way, it is nice to be back! Been offlin,e without a pc, for the last three months or so. Missed you all terribly; found out you cannot post to this site from a Blackberry.
    So...have I missed much in the time I have been gone?

Sorry, but I gotta put these lyrics here, as being without you all for these past months has nearly driven me around the bend!

Alice Cooper - The Quiet Room

The California air
    Your nightgown on the stairs
    I remember every night
    Scenes from home in the Quiet Room

How long have I been gone
    Did winter kill the lawn
    And all those polaroids you sent
    Are on the wall in the Quiet Room

They've got this place
    Where they've been keeping me
    Where I can't hurt myself
    I can't get my wrists to bleed
    Just don't know why
    Suicide appeals to me

The Quiet Room
    Is sterilized and white
    It's like a tomb
    With just a moth stained naked light

Plastic forks and spoons
    No laces in my shoes
    They all know what I tried to do
    Outside the Quiet Room

This quiet place
    It ain't so new to me
    It's haunted atmosphere
    Has heard so many scream
    My home from home
    My twilight zone
    My strangest dream

My confidant
    I have confessed my life
    The Quiet Room
    Knows more about me than my wife

They've got this place
    Where they've been keeping me
    Where I can't hurt myself
    I just can't
    I just can't get these damn wrists to bleed

A mattress on the floor
    No handles on the door
    I really need nothing more
    I'm alone
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    If the new Heroic Age does what it sounds like it's meant to do, yes. It'll solve one of the problems I've had with a lot (but not all, not really even most) of comics lately - that the heroes aren't.
    Comics, ideally, for me, should be a battle of good vs. evil; these days, a lot are evil vs. slightly less evil. I'm tired of being expected to sympathise with heroes I can't tell apart from villains. I'm tired of having to hold my 'heroes' to lower standards than I do real people - I should be able to hold them much, much higher.
    The Heroic Age should, let's hope, solve that.

Will it solve the 'they never get the chance to be people problem'? Maybe, maybe not. There's nothing in the premise to say it should, but wouldn't it be cool if it did?
    That might be a good time for a new Alpha Flight series.

- Le Messor
    Hartley's Second Law: Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself.
    So, as somebody who has been out of the loop for a bit - how is this new Age stacking up so far?
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/