Thread: Wild Child

Default Wild Child

Hi gang,

What started as a fascination with a creepy and unnerving blond foe of Wolverine and then an appreciation for Alpha Flight, relatively early in my life, became something that's always stayed with me.

Wild Child came first. I was about 13 or 14, It was so long ago I only remember the place. I saw a rack of comics. Marvel Comics Presents caught my eye. I remember reading about Wolverine and a strange, compelling villain. Wild Child.

I recognized him as Sabretooth's son immediately. One of those things you just know the moment you see it, with little explaination needed. I knew who Wolverine was, but I had no idea who Heather Hudson was at that point, or the Flights. What a way to get introduced to the series.

Wild Child has so many incarnations, and I didn't understand at the time, but he's never had consistancy and it shouldn't be expected. It's actually fun trying to reconcile this, and I'm convinced he's almost like Aurora/Jeanne-Marie, but with a physical manifestation of his various personae. The "version" of Kyle that comes closest to my favorite is his original first appearance, an eloquent and twisted savage, and the too-brief reappearance of the eloquent and twisted version by Jeph Loeb. My least favorite by quite a margin is Wildheart and nearly everything associated with him. The codename is stupid, Simon Furman messed up and missed the fact Kyle is a mutant, not an enhanced human, and I have more intense Wyre and Secret Empire hate than probably everybody here combined. Furman was trying too hard and did not have all his facts straight. Actually his whole run wasn't that great, IMO, except for Persuasion misusing her powers. I forget the issue but it made me laugh out loud. Used to hate X-Factor Kyle too, but he really grew on me after awhile, and it's the version most people tend to like.

I hope Wild Child's fate isn't sealed. We all know what I'm talking about..... Kyle is obviously meant to be dead, not injured grievously but actually dead. I keep on hoping some writer with more interest than cannon fodder comes along, but it never happens.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I'm not certain about this by any means, but I think Furman's enhanced-human version came before anyone called him a mutant. So it's everyone after who messed up, not him.

... Okay, I've just flipped through the Byrne appearances and MCP #s 51-53, and found no reference to him being a mutant. I could have missed something, and it's possible I'm forgetting other pre-Furman appearances, but I'm gonna stand by my above statement.

- Le Messor
    "Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in."

The first mention of how he got powers was from Furman in his Secret Society and Wyre thing. After AF was done they made him a mutant, much like they try and make Sasquatch and Puck mutants on occasion.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Kyle was called a mutant before Furman decided to go into his backstory. He has a reference entry in one of the Official Handbooks. Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe '89 or earlier, which predates Furman. Furman didn't do his homework. Let's assume for a minute he wasn't. Other writers have retconned it in. Happens all the time. But he is a mutant, predating Furman.

Pardon the tone of my posts on this particular detail. I was writing in to set them straight at the time the backstory about Wyre and the Secret Empire was published. (Trust me, I know my stuff Most people don't know Kyle had a girlfriend named Lori Bradt, which you guys might.)
    Last edited by Raja; 04-25-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raja View Post
    Pardon the tone of my posts on this particular detail.
    Um... no.
    There's nothing to pardon; you're allowed to disagree, especially when you've clearly done more research than I have.
    I don't know about Mokole, but I was only going by in-story stuff, not the handbooks.

- Le Messor
    "Growing up is mandatory; growing old is optional."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Um... no.
    There's nothing to pardon; you're allowed to disagree, especially when you've clearly done more research than I have.
    I don't know about Mokole, but I was only going by in-story stuff, not the handbooks.
    I'm glad to set the record straight about Kyle being a mutant. As for pardoning my tone, I wasn't sure how strongly I was coming across. I'm a longtime AF fan but new to this community and so don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raja View Post
    Hi gang,

What started as a fascination with a creepy and unnerving blond foe of Wolverine and then an appreciation for Alpha Flight, relatively early in my life, became something that's always stayed with me.

Wild Child came first. I was about 13 or 14, It was so long ago I only remember the place. I saw a rack of comics. Marvel Comics Presents caught my eye. I remember reading about Wolverine and a strange, compelling villain. Wild Child.

I recognized him as Sabretooth's son immediately. One of those things you just know the moment you see it, with little explaination needed. I knew who Wolverine was, but I had no idea who Heather Hudson was at that point, or the Flights. What a way to get introduced to the series.

Wild Child has so many incarnations, and I didn't understand at the time, but he's never had consistancy and it shouldn't be expected. It's actually fun trying to reconcile this, and I'm convinced he's almost like Aurora/Jeanne-Marie, but with a physical manifestation of his various personae. The "version" of Kyle that comes closest to my favorite is his original first appearance, an eloquent and twisted savage, and the too-brief reappearance of the eloquent and twisted version by Jeph Loeb. My least favorite by quite a margin is Wildheart and nearly everything associated with him. The codename is stupid, Simon Furman messed up and missed the fact Kyle is a mutant, not an enhanced human, and I have more intense Wyre and Secret Empire hate than probably everybody here combined. Furman was trying too hard and did not have all his facts straight. Actually his whole run wasn't that great, IMO, except for Persuasion misusing her powers. I forget the issue but it made me laugh out loud. Used to hate X-Factor Kyle too, but he really grew on me after awhile, and it's the version most people tend to like.

I hope Wild Child's fate isn't sealed. We all know what I'm talking about..... Kyle is obviously meant to be dead, not injured grievously but actually dead. I keep on hoping some writer with more interest than cannon fodder comes along, but it never happens.
    I just read the first dozen or so issues of "Weapon X" recently and got a small dose of Wild Child (Aurora, too). I think the series is shortly after AF volume 2 because they capture Madison Jeffries while he's still brainwashed & with Zodiac. If you haven't read it definitely check it out. There are some interesting moments between him and Sabertooth.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKexpress View Post
    I just read the first dozen or so issues of "Weapon X" recently and got a small dose of Wild Child (Aurora, too). I think the series is shortly after AF volume 2 because they capture Madison Jeffries while he's still brainwashed & with Zodiac. If you haven't read it definitely check it out. There are some interesting moments between him and Sabertooth.
    I've been wanting to hunt it down... Should've got it when it came out.

- Le Messor
    "Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I've been wanting to hunt it down... Should've got it when it came out.
    It's not amazing as AF continuity. Some of the characterization is off, but it's generally respectful and enjoyable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Some of the characterization is off, but it's generally respectful and enjoyable.
    Part of the reason, I think, why didn't get it as it came out. Now, from all I've read, I'm missing major parts of characters' lives.

'sides, it's got Alphans, it's in continuity, and I don't have it! Something must be done!

- LM
    "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."
    ~ Franklin Roosevelt