Thread: Alpha Flight Published Original Art Gallery - including Cockrum & McFarlane!

Default Alpha Flight Published Original Art Gallery - including Cockrum & McFarlane!

Hey All,

I'm not a frequent poster but I guess with the updates I got a reminder email about my membership on these forums so I thought I would say hi.

I think I joined the forums awhile ago asking if anyone knows which issue my Todd McFarlane Alpha Flight Ad art was published in.

Anyways, here is my gallery of Alpha Flight art by Dave Cockrum, Todd McFarlane, John Calimee and June Brigman:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryR...e=1&GSub=82086

Thanks!

Malvin
    Last edited by White Knight; 04-06-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo

Got to admit to being a tad jealous. I would love to own an Alpha collection like that. Clicked on John Calimmee's name and that Badger work was just wow!
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Thanks! In case you didn't know only the stuff in that link is mine, when you clicked on John Calimee's name, that retrieved everyone else artwork by John Calimee on Comicartfans.

I started reading Alpha Flight at issue 50 so I enjoyed the version of the team more, and seek artwork from that era more. I did go back and read the earlier John Byrne issues and they were fine, but John Byrne artwork is crazy expensive so I avoid those!

Malvin

How did you come by the Calimee team pic, was it a commision? As re Byrne pages, I can but dream
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Nice collection! As for your question, I dont' think that image was published. Looks to me like a recreation of scenes from #51, Jim Lee's first AF issue.

The Calimee team pic story might make you cry, but it was on auction and ebay for 99 cents and no one else bid! So I won it for like 99 cents plus shipping! I think the seller said years ago he wrote Calimee a fan letter and got that sketch in reply. Either that or a store/convention signing and he got it.

The McFarlane piece was alot more than 99 cents and was sold to me as "Advertising art". It's possible that it wasn't published, but I thought maybe there was an Ad around issue 51 to promote the new direction. Marvel age or a similar publication was where I thought it might have been published. But it's possible someone commission McFarlane back then for something like that. Good luck getting a commission from him now!

Malvn

99 cents, I really need to check ebay a bit more often.
    Del

Yup, I definitely lucked out. The pool of Calimee Alpha Flight Art collectors are pretty small. That piece is quite rough and I think the scan on the auction wasn't the greatest either, so that translates into no one else being interested but me!

Malvin