So I thought I would make an official update as to where things stand with AF.net. I want to thanks all those who donated to make this new site possible, it seems to be falling into place nicely. I am interested in your input on several topics.

What We've Done

• Migrated the domain to a much more stable and dynamic host
  • Installed new CMS software, importing all user accounts, posts, stats ect.
  • Configured and implemented user created content
  • Input much of the data from the old site, not quite finished, but getting there. Thanks to the other admins for helping with this task!
  • Reinstalled Alphanex Wiki, importing old database.
  • Integrated Alphanex Wiki with cms, allowing for site members to have automatic wiki editing rights. Also integrating wiki in to website search, and user status.

What's left to be Done

• A solution needs to be reached for Gallery integration, see end of post for more details
  • Databasing system needs to be implemented for Phil's appearance list
  • Fanfic posting method needs to be resolved (see end of post for more details)
So, now that you know where things stand on this end, I could really use some input on a couple of things.

First, and most important in my mind in s the Gallery. Our options are as follows:

1. I have found free software that can kind of be integrated into the site, but it will be messy, and won't work well, and won't fluidly fit in.
  2. I've been informed by the design team of the CMS software that eventually gallery software will be integrated into later versions. They are however, unable to give me even the most vague of time-lines, so it could be a month(probably not that soon) or it could be two years, I dunno.
  3. We could purchase software that has been designed to be able to integrate into the cms software. It is called PhotoPost. Have a look. Now the problem there is the cost. It's $129 USD, and if we were to go that route I would have to swallow my pride and request more donations (I still don't like to do that, but simply don't personally have the funds).

So you guys tell me what YOU want and we will proceed from there.

The next thing I want your thoughts on is what to do with Fanfic. I want it more on display for site visitors, who aren't necessarily interested in taking an active roll in the community.

1. We can add a new section to the site where in fanfics are posted as other articles are currently. As before they can either be posted by the author as an article, or alternatively posted in the forum, then promoted to an article (effectively the same thing). Older fanfic can be input as well.
  2. We can have users post new Fanfic as a blog.
  3. we can just leave it on the forum and not add it to the site.

Personally I lean towards a combination the first option and the second. People can post their fanfics as articles, and admins would publish them to the site in the fanfic section, but if there is an ongoing story, people may prefer to give it a blog treatment, still allowing it to be promoted to an article by admins.

Thanks, sorry if that was long-winded, looking forward to your input.

Ben

I