Thread: Asgardian Wars hardcover

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Asgardian Wars hardcover

I can't find the original thread about it, and am too lazy to really look, but I got it yesterday (LCS had a sale, I went mad... Absolute Death was the worst. Please take that last sentence out of context.)

It was on display in the New section. I also got the hardcover of Serenity: Those Left Behind, which as we all know by now contains a mention of Alpha Flight. I have the softcover already, but I've been wanting to upgrade ever since that time I lost it. I didn't find it again until I moved.
    Turns out, it was exactly where it was supposed to be, but so small the gns around it had covered it up.

-Le Messor
    "Progress is like a wheelbarrow. If you don't keep pushing it, it stops."
    - W.G.P.

Ah, yes, it's a beauty. Not as oversized as I'd like it to be, but it is bigger than the original.

The cover (as you can tell from the solicit as seen in the original post about this) is newly colored, with a few minor changes besides the modern technique: Puck's mask is either extended to a cowl with a ragged egde or his face is in shadow... and a green glow behind Aurora makes her nearly all green (the original image was a soft sky blue background, no glare) and Sasquatch's fingernails were darkened so they appear darker than his fingers, which is, I think, the proper way to color them, dunno.

Also included at the end of the book is the original cover from the 1988 paperback, as well as the cover to the 1998 "The Gift" thingy.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    The cover (as you can tell from the solicit as seen in the original post about this) is newly colored, with a few minor changes besides the modern technique: Puck's mask is extended to a cowl...
    Yep, and the new colouring extends inside, too. A bit. There's at least one page that's now on black paper that used to be on white.

If you compare the two closely, Puck's mask now continues to inked lines on the original, which is where the jagged effect comes from.

- Le Messor
    "If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
    - Albert Einstein
    Last edited by Le Messor; 10-10-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Argh... The more I see this the more I want a nice old hardcover of it.

I've got the original series and the 1998 trade so dunno if I can justify the re-buy.

I have found it at 33% off but don't know how long it'll last...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Argh... The more I see this the more I want a nice old hardcover of it.
    I have found it at 33% off but don't know how long it'll last...
    Mine was 30% off...
    There's also the pencil artwork in the back. I normally can't be bothered with that, it's not interesting, but this is what I have described as the best line art I've ever seen in a comic. (Unfortunately, not in the half with Alpha Flight in it.)
    Some of the notes in there are great, too!

Now, Phil, about your lessons in keeping to a budget...

- Le Messor
    "Learn from the mistakes of others - you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - John Luther

I also got the hardcover of Serenity: Those Left Behind, which as we all know by now contains a mention of Alpha Flight.
    That is a sweet HC.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Images

Philosophical musings, based on this GN.
    Spoilers follow.

... they're still following. Make them stop, this is getting creepy...

The story is about Loki creating a well which brings, hopefully, peace and warm puppies to the world (I'm a little too cynical to believe that, but...), at the cost of magic. All magic. All the magic in the world, including imagination.
    In the end, the good guys beat Loki, making it possible to dream again...
    Or did they? ( <-- adding that link was so much easier on the new forum!)
    I feel like they didn't, not in the real world.
    Witness the current fad of realism in comics; the Iron Man and Chris universe Batman movies are exemplary examples... They make everything more 'realistic' and 'scientific', which is fine (I support it), but they take it too far-- and drain the imagination. Look at Norman Osborne; once a traditional, powered Mwah-hah-ha! villain, now a corrupt executive / government official. (Yes, there's still the Iron Patriot armour, but he's mostly seen now in a suit and tie.)
    It takes away the spirit and imagination, and makes those things look petty and childish.

The science side is the worst; it's like everything these days has to pass rigourous scientific scrutiny before it can be accepted by the audience. I've actually heard the phrase (at a writers' convention late '09) "When I look for science in hard science fiction and fantasy novels..." Those were his exact words!*
    He then went on to critique the novel Magician for its scientific inaccuracy.
    To them (the people who do this), clouds in the sky can't be dragons or horses or ships or castles. They're just clouds.

So, was Claremont parodying the overdone scrutiny of science, or was he predicting a future trend?
    Or is it just a massive coincidence?

* not his exact words.

- Le Messor
    "Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do."
    - Bertrand Russell