Thread: Beyond #16...

Default Beyond #16...

There will be more comic book collections for the AF issues going beyond Byrne's classic run?

Personally, I think Mantlo did a superb job, I absolutely loved his run.
    NARYA EASTON just saved the world, even if nobody knows.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Re: Beyond #16...

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWCHILD
    There will be more comic book collections for the AF issues going beyond Byrne's classic run?
    Right now, it looks like we'd be lucky to get all of Byrne's run.
    As to your second comment... {whistle} La la la la la, I'm not listening... (Mik covers his ears)...

- Le Messor
    "Diane: Oh no. The thing I feared most has happened.
    Carla: What? Your Living Bra died of boredom?"
    - Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    I don't think it will be luck, but destiny. I mean, they are set to publish #17-#28, that's pretty obvious. Give them some time.

(or so I hope)

Snowchild,

I don't think Bill Mantlo's was the best run on the book, that belongs to Byrne. I do agree that Mantlo's run had it's pluses, which a lot of fans on this board ignore. Mantlo gave us Kara Killgrave, Laura Dean, and Goblyn, who are all cool characters. He also developed Madison Jeffries during his run.

I also think that had he been allowed to pursue his storyline with Northstar, that it would've been infinitely better than the lame coming out issue that Scott Lobdell wrote.

-Zef

Well, I wasn't quite saying that Mantlo wrote the best run. Byrne delivered the best, and ALPHA FLIGHT was simply the combo of the greatest superheroes of the Marvel universe (even if nobody knows that, even Byrne himself --- LOL).

However, Mantlo wrote excellent stories and wisely grasped that "weird vibe" that always comes from Alpha Flight, no matter what. He grasped it and put it on paper in the proper way.
    Strange superheroes, strange villains, weird stories. That's what truly made Alpha Flight the most charming and engaging team in the comic book universe.

I must say that the inconsistencies and the continuity issues add more mystery to the characters. They are part of the charm, somehow.

Images

I don't think it will be luck, but destiny. I mean, they are set to publish #17-#28, that's pretty obvious. Give them some time.
    My comment was a reference to the delays in printing #s 9-16 as a collection. Last I heard, it was listed as Amazon for, like, a year ago, but never came out.

One of us knows something the other doesn't, and I'm honestly not sure who.

- Le Messor
    "The money saved for a rainy day now buys a smaller umbrella."
    - W.G.P.

My comment was a reference to the delays in printing #s 9-16 as a collection.
    Oh God, they really dropped the ball. It's pathetic.
    When will they realize that AF is their greatest creation?

My comment was a reference to the delays in printing #s 9-16 as a collection.
    Oh God, they really dropped the ball. It's pathetic.
    When sales support that notion.

Not enough people bought the first collections, so further ones got cancelled. Best we can do is hope they decide to give it another shot a little ways down the line.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr
    Stoopid sales! Be more Alpha Fann-ish!

OTOH, remember the controversy around sales of Omega? How it outsold series that didn't get turned into miniseries before issue 1 and still didn't get an ongoing?

- Le Messor
    "You've got to create a dream, you've got to uphold the dream. If you can't, then bugger it. Go back to the factory, or go back to the desk."
    - Eric Burdon

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr
    Stoopid sales! Be more Alpha Fann-ish!

OTOH, remember the controversy around sales of Omega? How it outsold series that didn't get turned into miniseries before issue 1 and still didn't get an ongoing?

- Le Messor
    "You've got to create a dream, you've got to uphold the dream. If you can't, then bugger it. Go back to the factory, or go back to the desk."
    - Eric Burdon
    Ugh, yes, that was a whole lotta fail right there. I guess it wasn't so much a matter of Omega performing higher than they expected it to than it was the other series vastly underperforming compared to what they expected. Like, if they could have gone into the future to get the sales numbers, Omega still wouldn't have gotten a full series pickup, but the others would have been downgraded as well.

But, honestly, Heroes for Hire? Who seriously thought that would be a hit? Fail.

People want interesting characters. Low sales mean they did not promote the series well, that's it. They never promoted AF the way they do for Avengers or other super-teams.