Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's time for a new Flight

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    My heart would dearly love to agree with you...

I think Marvel has worked too hard to purge AF as we knew it from the Marvel Universe, to invite it back in.

Well, there ya go, FP!! You just solved our dilemma! See, they worked so hard purging AF as we know it from the MU, to introduce them as they were originally intended WOULD be 'new', 'fresh' and whatnot! Congrats, m'boy, you just saved the Flight! (Mind now we just have to get Joe Quesada EXTREMELY drunk so he'd see this and agree....)
    Actually, at this point I would settle very strongly for an Ultimate AF series in the Ultimate universe. If this went well, it would help drive interest in AF, perhaps paving the way for a regular AF series down the road.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Can anyone explain to me how this would happen?

Can anyone just pitch an idea to Joe Q/Marvel for a new AF book? Assuming they like it and go for it - what happens next?

What is the process involved to get a cancelled series a new ongoing series?

I think Marvel has worked too hard to purge AF as we knew it from the Marvel Universe, to invite it back in.

Well, there ya go, FP!! You just solved our dilemma! See, they worked so hard purging AF as we know it from the MU, to introduce them as they were originally intended WOULD be 'new', 'fresh' and whatnot! Congrats, m'boy, you just saved the Flight! (Mind now we just have to get Joe Quesada EXTREMELY drunk so he'd see this and agree....)
    Actually, at this point I would settle very strongly for an Ultimate AF series in the Ultimate universe. If this went well, it would help drive interest in AF, perhaps paving the way for a regular AF series down the road.
    No...OMIGOD NO! We've already seen "Ultimate" Alpha Flight and they were more lame than any of the versions of Alpha Flight ever were. A team composed mostly of American mutants hopped up on a synthetic drug? NO I SAY! FP, I love ya like a brother, but you should be tarred and feathered for suggesting such a thing!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard
    Can anyone explain to me how this would happen?

Can anyone just pitch an idea to Joe Q/Marvel for a new AF book? Assuming they like it and go for it - what happens next?

What is the process involved to get a cancelled series a new ongoing series?
    You have to be a comic book writer to pitch proposals to the editors. They won't use ideas form readers (at least they won't admit to it, if they do).

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67

No...OMIGOD NO! We've already seen "Ultimate" Alpha Flight and they were more lame than any of the versions of Alpha Flight ever were. A team composed mostly of American mutants hopped up on a synthetic drug? NO I SAY! FP, I love ya like a brother, but you should be tarred and feathered for suggesting such a thing!

Dana
    Dana,

Got to say, I disagree with you on this one. Just recently read Alpha Flight's appearance in the Ultimate Universe; and I loved it. With some tweaking, it'd be a good read, IMHO. No, it is not AF as we know it. But it has the AF name, it has some of the characters (changed, as they all are in Ultimates-land), and it is popular. For what it was, i liked it. Would I be satisfied with JUST that, with an Ultimate AF and NO regular-universe AF? Heck no! But, if Marvel ain't willing to do regular AF right now, this would be a start, a character and name push in the right direction, at least.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, I have the feeling Marvel meant "Ultimate" Alpha Flight to stain the name of Alpha Flight even more than it had been. Most Marvel "talent" has done Alpha Flight wrong over the past few years, except for a few good guys like Fred Van Lent, Oeming, etc...Who've attempted to show respect for the characters...But those guys are in the minority, regretfully.

I also think those that want to do an Alpha Flight series (and who may have put proposals in) are being shot down by Marvel Editorial (even whether those proposals are good or not), because the big wigs just don't believe in the viability of the Flight anymore. Omega Flight should have shown them the error of their ways, but apparently they're ignoring it's success.

Dana

Unfortunately, I have the feeling Marvel meant "Ultimate" Alpha Flight to stain the name of Alpha Flight even more than it had been. Most Marvel "talent" has done Alpha Flight wrong over the past few years, except for a few good guys like Fred Van Lent, Oeming, etc...Who've attempted to show respect for the characters...But those guys are in the minority, regretfully.

I also think those that want to do an Alpha Flight series (and who may have put proposals in) are being shot down by Marvel Editorial (even whether those proposals are good or not), because the big wigs just don't believe in the viability of the Flight anymore. Omega Flight should have shown them the error of their ways, but apparently they're ignoring it's success.

Dana
    Completely agree.
    So, back to square one...

Okay...I know many of us would like to see the original line-up for Alpha Flight in a relaunch (or something very close to that)...But Omega Flight sold very, very well...

Perhaps a more Avenger-ish team roster would work better in the long run (just under the Alpha Flight name)?

*A Guardian (Not Pointer please!...Plus a Guardian would totally take the place of a "Captain America" or Cap copy)

*Aurora (there should be at least one mutant on the team)

*Beta Ray Bill (He's now technically Canadian...He can still have cosmic adventures and be a member of the team...Thor does, why not Bill too?)

*Jack Frost (mysterious WWII hero trapped in the Arctic ice)

*Sasquatch

*Talisman

Weapon Alpha (Albert...Robotic duplicate of Wolverine with a genius intellect)

Snowbird could be a reserve member.

Maybe Arachne, if she's still in Canada by the time the series is put together.

I'm not sure of any other possible folks who might fit an "Avengers" sort of line-up.

Dana

Throw in Moon Knight, Black Knight, Misty Knight, and Werewolf By Night. First issue could happen all at night, with no lights around, as an homage to AF Volume 1 Issue 6.

Or how about some of those lovable losers from the Great Lakes Avengers (or whatever they are now called)?

Maybe Yukon Jack, Union Jack, Jack the Ripper, Jack Black, Cracker Jack and Jack Spratt (okay, I think I am making up some of those ones)?

I agree, though, an Avengers-type comic would be the ONLY (visible) way to make this work, at least for right now. Trouble is, we all figure that when the Norman Osborne thing ends, we all going to lose a whole bunch of Avengers teams, so it may be a bad time to start a new one...so, how about Alpha Flight being a new Defenders team, based out of Canada? Perhaps?

Huh? FP, Are you making fun of my choices?...I tried to make it a good line-up (varied abilities/powers, character-types and personalities...A more international line-up, but all having connections to Canada in some way).

Dana

Assuming the originals who are dead are not coming back, I'd like to see Windshear return, but since he's depowered it would be cool if he took up the Guardian mantle. Also, recreate the original Box by having a soldier who was injured in Afghanistan, and is now a paraplegic or quadriplegic, continue to serve his country by being phased into the robot. Bring back Aurora, Sasquatch, Snowbird and Talisman, plus have Earthmover take over as Shaman and create a new medicine pouch.

Seven characters should be more than enough to build a new team with. Having Box be new to the whole superhero thing would be interesting as he learns the whole "with great power comes great responsibility." Windshear's journey as he steps into the role of AF leader and national symbol would make for some good character growth and interaction. He would most certainly end up butting heads with any gov't lackey who thinks he'll just act as a figurehead and accept being told what to do. Similarly, Earthmover would have to step into Shaman's moccasins and learn to become a healer. Playing up his background as a hockey player (I'm thinking enforcer here) would make for some very unshamanic moments when he uses brute force rather than wisdom to defeat his foes. Snowbird, Aurora, Sasquatch and Talisman will all have to come to terms with the deaths of their friends/family and find a way to move on while working to clean Canada up of all the super powered villains who crossed the border after the US Registration Act.

"Are you making fun of my choices?..."

Mockery is the greatest form of flatulence.

Since Earthmover came way after I stopped collecting, I have a question--is he a Sarcee/Blackfoot Indian or is he caucasian?

I don't think Alpha Flight as a Canadian version of the Avengers is a good idea. Byrne managed to give AF elements of the X-Men, the Avengers, and the Fantastic Four without aping any of them. I'd like to see THAT type of Alpha Flight. I'm sure someone could find a way to write the core characters back into continuity.

To me AF isn't AF without Heather Hudson. Whether written by Byrne, Mantlo, or Hudnall--Heather is the heart and soul of Alpha Flight.

Peace,
    Zef

There's nothing definitive as to Chuck (Earthmover) Moss' ethnicity so I'd assume he was Sarcee. In his bio it says he was nominated by his father to be apprenticed to Shaman; I doubt a non-aboriginal person would be accepted for this role.

To be honest I don't see the lineup I envisioned to be an Avenger copy. In fact the majority of the group has a mystical connection, while there are two technology-based characters (neither of which are scientists) and only one mutant. However, there have been so many Avengers that it would be difficult not to have some characters share similarities.
    But as I stated at the beginning of my post, this lineup would be assuming the originals that have died are to be kept dead. I just think it would make for great character development if the team which takes over for the deceased Alphans has to deal with, not merely their loss, but having to replace them/carry on without them.

I think I would like to see Alpha take on a Justice League Unlimited approach.

A lot of different members on the team. More than the typical 4, 5 ,6 or 8 member teams we see in comics now. No more Alpha, Beta, Omega Flights. They are all one united team.

I believe it was Wolverine First Class that had an issue where Wolvie is assigned a mission and has to choose his team members from members of Alpha. Also, going back to AF 1 or 2, Heather tries to call on the members of Alpha Flight by putting ID cards in a machine which then set off some bio-implant that notified each of the members they were being called to duty. Members of the team are chosen specifically for each mission based on their skills and how best they can handle the assignment.

I like that idea.

Each issue or story arc would have a different line up of characters dealing with assorted problems to Canada. Would be a good way to keep older established characters as well as introduce newer ones.

Now and then comes a threat where Alpha has to take action as a full team which would really be something to see.

Did I mention that most of the people on this Alpha WANT to be heroes and that the Canadian population is proud of them? That right there would set it apart from evey other Marvel book out there