Thread: Why Is This Important?

Default Why Is This Important?

[ also posted at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/ ]

Hero.

One word, meaning so much.

The dictionary defines the term “hero” in these ways;
    - A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.
    - A person noted for special achievement in a particular field.
    - The principal (usually male) character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.
    - A man of exceptional courage, nobility, etc.
    - A man who is idealized for having superior qualities in any field.
    - A man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength.
    - A person who inspires others through courage, strength, bravery, and self-sacrifice.
    - Someone who fights for a cause, and/or cares for and protects persons or property.
    - Person of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits.
    - Principle male character.
    - A man or boy admired (by many people) for his brave deeds.

Within the heart of every man, lurks the hidden desire to be a hero.

I truly believe that.

That is why we all seek out and recognize heroes, and emulate them and try to be like them. It is why so many men like sports, ladies, in case you did not know that.

When I was a youngster, my heroes were super. I enjoyed comic book heroes, those larger-than-life men and women who stood tall and bravely fought injustice.

The men and women of Alpha Flight were my heroes. In a medium dominated by American heroes, as a Canadian boy it was a real treat to have a group of heroes who were solely Canadian, who protected this great nation from threats from within and without. These were some of my greatest heroes as an impressionable young man.

Years later, I find that these same heroes have been disrespected, killed off, and coldly put out to pasture, without nary a thought for the youngsters of today who need these unique Canadian superheroes to help them discover their love for their nation and that spark within themselves that could cause them to one day blossom into real-life heroes.

That thought saddens me, and angers me. It makes me wish that I could do something about it. I wish I could bring back the heroes that the youth of today so desperately need.

Last year, I found a way, for maybe the first time in my life, to be a hero myself. I felt like a hero. There was a special young lady, and she needed me; she needed my help. She listened to me, and I both supported her faithfully in her hard times and helped her to realize what she needed in her life. Things were going amazing. I poured my heart and soul into this person and this situation – I expended everything that I had within me, trying to make a lasting difference in the life of this special lady.

As with all stories, this one had an ending, and one that was less than satisfying. Suffice it to say, I was plunged into a black abyss from which only a real live Canadian superhero could have rescued me – but there were none. I had to crawl out of that hole, all by myself.

It hasn’t been easy; it hasn’t been fun. I am still not too sure that I am completely out of there yet. It has been the toughest year of my life. And I really do not know how I feel about a lot of things anymore. My world got turned upside down and inside out. I gave everything, for the right reasons; I was self-sacrificing to a degree I had never even known was possible.

In a few short months, I went from feeling heroic, to wishing I were dead. It was a year that I will never forget; it was the best few months of my life, followed by a year that was the worst I have ever experienced. And, strange as it may sound, I know that given the choice, I would do it all again.

Sometimes, being a hero means letting yourself get hurt.

I wish the people at Marvel Comics realized that. Maybe if they did, they would return Alpha Flight to their rightful place of prominence. Instead of thinking that they won’t make money from publishing it, maybe they could see it through the eyes of those most affected by it back when they were publishing it. Maybe they would then take a short-term loss, in order to bring back to the children the type of heroes that they need to inspire them.

Because now, now I am left without any heroes. This explains why I am searching so desperately to be one, but without any success. I have now experienced, just a little bit, what it feels like to be a hero, what it does within a person; and I want that rush again.

I want to risk it all, for the right reasons. I want to sacrifice, and risk getting hurt. I’ve done it before. And so has Alpha Flight.

It is time we both did it again, I think.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

"Yes indeed, it is true, Marvel has no love or respect for Alpha Flight. They want to shut up the fans of Alpha Flight, by making sure there is no possibility of there being any Alpha Flight to reform as a team in the future."

Think I am wrong? Think I am right?

You can pick up on this thought, or others, at [ shameless plug here for my own shoddy work ] http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogsp...rther-ado.html .

Yes, I am back blogging at my own Alpha Flight site, and hoping to do so with a bit more regularity than I had shown over the last year or so. Sorry 'bout that.

See ya here, see ya there - it's all good.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Sorry to hear about your rough year.

There's a lot to talk about in that; I'll just focus on one bit.
    I've noticed a lack of heroes in modern pop culture; the line between hero and villain is becomin so blurred (for the sake of dimensionality and 'realism') that it's just getting really hard to tell the difference.
    That does make for more three-dimensional and (arguably) realistic characters.

Y'know what? That's not what I read comics for. I read them for heroes. Realism is what I'm trying to escape here!

- Le Messor
    "Freedom doesn't become 'lost' through abuse; freedom is lost through our failure to exercise it."
    - Elf Sternberg

I, too, will just focus on one line...

Y'know what? That's not what I read comics for. I read them for heroes. Realism is what I'm trying to escape here!
    Exactly! Couldn't agree more! I think that in an effort to make comics more "gritty", more "adult", they have lost a lot of what made them magical.

Hate to admit it, but I pick up an occasional issue in Marvel's all ages Marvel Adventures line...and enjoy them far more than the "normal, adult" comics that I buy monthly!

Heroes should inspire, they should overcome, and they should do what is right. And that is what we need from our Alpha Flight; not a gimmick, not new characters, not brand new styles designed to tittilate the eyeballs...just give me some heroes who ARE heroes, and consistently act like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    Heroes should inspire, they should overcome, and they should do what is right. And that is what we need from our Alpha Flight; not a gimmick, not new characters, not brand new styles designed to tittilate the eyeballs...just give me some heroes who ARE heroes, and consistently act like it!
    YES! This is perhaps the main reason I quit Marvel comics. I want a hero who is a hero. When Wolverine was the one guy willing to do what no one else was, ie: kill, it was an interesting take on what a hero was. Now, every character is just looking for an excuse. Hell, the X-men even have a secret death squad! To me, this isn't gritty or more realistic, it's TV tabloid writing for comic books.
    It seems to me, since Joe Q has taken over Marvel, there are no more heroes. All the stories are event driven or are glorified fanfics. It's as if the writers just think of a scene, decide it's kewl and then write a story around it. It's like a group of indie writers took over, deciding to do one-shot after one-shot stories using Marvel characters, with no thought to continuity, characterization or an eye to the future. There are no character driven stories any more, which is why there will not be a new AF book while JQ runs the joint.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    It's like... no thought to continuity, characterization or an eye to the future. There are no character driven stories any more, which is why there will not be a new AF book while JQ runs the joint.
    This is what Dana was saying on another thread, and I totally agree with him there -- we need to take time to spend time with these characters just being people as well as being heroes. Claremont and Byrne (Dana's examples) gave us that; there were several episodes of their X-Men, f'rex, where they didn't even have a battle or save the world or anything (Kitty's Fairy Tale springs to mind); we need a few more of them.
    Even in the relatively short (for the time) 28-issue run of Byrne's Alpha Flight, there was time for two of these 'peaceful issues' in its teens; 13, where the only battle was a nightmare and 17 where the fight was a flashback.

I come for the heroics (and it needs to be heroic heroics!) and stay for the people.

- Le Messor
    "Is there some principle of nature which states that we never know the quality of what we have until it is gone?"
    - Richard Hofstadter