Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss Alpha Flight

Default I miss Alpha Flight

Ya know I don't really know a better way to express it. I MISS ALPHA FLIGHT AND I WANT THEM BACK! I know there is no justice in the world and there are much better examples of it than missing my favorite comic book characters. But its long overdue. I know most if not all of you feel the same way but its getting silly at this point. What do we have to do to show Marvel we want Alpha Flight and that if presented in the right way it is a book that can do well? Its frustrating.
    As I have gotten into my 30's I find my tastes evolving. My pull list at the local comic shop at points in my life have been 30+ books. At the moment its maybe 3. I find myself clinging to the arts that have stood the test of time in my every changing interests. Alpha Flight is one of those interests. I would love for all of us here to be talking about last months issue and the issue to come. Not how JoeQ and Marvel hate us and AF. So what more can we do? Lets try really try to do something. I love fighting city hall. The folks on this board are all bright and passionate so lets put our heads together and give this another go. If its writing lets write, if its calling Marvel lets call. I am all for organizing and giving it our best. So what so say you? You wanna bring Alpha Flight back from the dead?
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

I hear ya D. Why don't we flood the Cup O' Joe thread at CBR with questions, post on the Marvel boards AF Appreciation thread, as well as making new threads about why there isn't a new book yet on the various forums, posting on Tom Brevoort's blog and generally "pestering" any and all Marvel folks we know how to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I hear ya D. Why don't we flood the Cup O' Joe thread at CBR with questions, post on the Marvel boards AF Appreciation thread, as well as making new threads about why there isn't a new book yet on the various forums, posting on Tom Brevoort's blog and generally "pestering" any and all Marvel folks we know how to contact.
    All good places to start Legerd. Perhaps if we rally enough of us to do it at coordinated times at some of those places we can make show force, it might make a statement. Plus maybe we can work together on an official statement from the fans of Alpha Flight. Also does anyone on our boards have even a casual relationship with someone at Marvel or close to them? Perhaps that person if willing can be a conduit about getting it to the right people. I know thats a stretch maybe but sometimes its who not what you know.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Yup, even with Joe Q's attitude I keep hoping.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

someone at Marvel or close to them
    I dunno. Other than Loki, you mean?

As far as Alpha Flight...

Has anybody realized that the only reason Arachne is officially still a part of Omega Flight with Walter Langkowski, is because Marvel saw her as a throw-away character than nobody would miss? Really, if people who read comics cared about her, they (Marvel) would have pulled her back to the USA before now. In fact, I think that if they even remember she is still alive and in Canada, then once this Norman Osbourne thing has gone away, they will probably bring her back (and likely have her trash talk Alpha Flight).

The only reason that Sasquatch "survived" the Pointer attack, is because somebody at Marvel suggested that he was a character that might be useful popping up in other books on occasion.

As far as Marvel is concerned, other than Sasquatch (and I do not see other books lining up to use him at this point), the Alpha Flight characters are all write-offs.

It sucks, but it is true.

So , the greater question remains, how do we change the minds of people who feel this way?

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer.

What we need is a writer, with good credentials, who wants to take on this project. One who BADLY wants it, with every fiber of their being, and will fight the establishment to get to do it.

Outside of that, we have little to no hope.

I guess I am a realist today; sorry if I bring you all down.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I know a perfect way to get a series. It would take a clever promo write in. Picture this, the team comes back. Saves Canada and then the media is there to ask what are you guys going to do now. Puck or someone replies, "We're going to Disney Land"
    It could work

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Good idea; Aurora and Northstar get used a lot, too

An organized campaign to let MARVEL know Alpha Flight is missed is a good idea. However, it seems that MARVEL knows that the AF fans are frustrated and hurting and disillusioned about how the team is being treated.

To say MARVEL doesn't care---given that some (Fred Van Lente) appearances convey a truer sense of what Alpha Flight is than many of the other (Lobdell/The Collective-New Avengers# 16/Omega Flight) recent renditions---is only half-right, at best. Someone, somewhere has decided that putting non-original characters in the group and calling it "Alpha Flight" is the way to gear it to today's audience.

This premise has proven false time and time again.

Given that MARVEL has been acquired by Disney maybe they should listen to what the reader's want for a change and give it to them. It shouldn't be any worse than the things they have put out and called "Alpha Flight" over the last 15 years.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Instead of campaigning to Marvel, how about we campaign directly to Disney instead?

Quote Originally Posted by rtiangha
    Instead of campaigning to Marvel, how about we campaign directly to Disney instead?
    I agree. What we need is somebody to craft a letter directly to Disney, outlining our concerns and stating what it is we want and why it will work. Then the rest of us need to get in line behind that.

Also, I still think we need to find somebody who is passionate about Flight, who wants to write them, and who knows how to do it correctly, and throw our support behind them in whatever way we can. If somebody knows they have the backing of the fans, perhaps they will refuse to give up in their quest to be given the helm of this series. "A stickey wheel gets the grease", as my Dad always told me.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Maybe finding out what MARVEL needs to publish a new AF...

...might be helpful.

Does MARVEL need to publish a certain amount of books in order to consider an Alpha Flight series sustainable? If so, how many? 16,000?
    25,000? 50,000? More?

Does Alpha Flight need to incorporate other characters from the MARVEL Universe in order to be considered for a new series? If so, wouldn't Wolverine be the #1 most logical choice?

With so many Alpha Flight characters to work with, would a GIANT-SIZE Alpha Flight be a good starting point to begin a new series? If the GIANT-SIZE issue did not attract enough readers, then everyone would know that there isn't enough interest to sustain or justify a new on-going series.

What if a creative team could tell a self-contained story (between 28 and 48 pages) that features a good number of Alphans and sells an acceptable amount of copies (32,000)? Would that be successful enough to green light a new Alpha Flight series, mini-series, or maxi-series?
    [/u][/b]
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

What if a creative team could tell a self-contained story (between 28 and 48 pages) that features a good number of Alphans and sells an acceptable amount of copies (32,000)? Would that be successful enough to green light a new Alpha Flight series, mini-series, or maxi-series?
    To answer the second of these two questions; likely not. It isn't about success, it isn't about money or popularity. It is about hatred and intolerance. They hate Alpha Flight. They won't green-light any AF product. Of course it'd be successful if they attached Wolverine to it; which is exactly why they won't do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    To answer the second of these two questions; likely not. It isn't about success, it isn't about money or popularity. It is about hatred and intolerance. They hate Alpha Flight. They won't green-light any AF product. Of course it'd be successful if they attached Wolverine to it; which is exactly why they won't do it...

Hmmmm. Somehow I think you have made this a little more personal than it really is. Marvel is a business. Joe Q's job is to make sure the company makes money. If it was clear that Alpha would make money, then he would probably greenlight it. I don't know the structure of Marvel, but if it is anything like the company I work for, it undoubtedly has a finance dept and/or a financial planning division. The decisions that they make are influenced by marketing teams. There are a lot of people in the process that influence the decision for what is considered worth the effort to produce. Though Joe is the figurehead and probably the ultimate decision-maker, he is no doubt influenced by others. Obviously, there isn't a strong contingent at Marvel that feels that this book will work.
    Now can I explain why they think the Pet Avengers series and Franklin Richards one-shots are a good idea? Heck no. Who is making these decisions is certainly an enigma. Sometimes when I read the previews, I have to shake my head at some of the titles that they are producing and wonder how much they really could be making on them.

Well, She-Hulk doesn't make money and neither does Spider-Girl, and OF made money. So what are people to think?
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.