Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Alpha in the Near Future Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    I agree. As far as I can see, X-Men has been spiralling downhill for a while. And, being that the X series are Marvel's biggest draws, you would have to think that they are getting nervous in their corporate office. I bet they have started to lose a lot of cash. Which, of course, leads us right into the acquisition by Disney.

Disney has money. I wonder if I could convince them to acquire the rights to Captain Canuck? With Mac dead and raised and dead and raised and dead again (did I miss any?), we have no real Canadian icons anymore in comics. And, I think it is time James STAYED dead. Heather coming back? I could live with that, as long as she stays out of "the suit" and concentrates on raising her child (and that child does not end up a mutant/serial killer/abducted by aliens). Puck coming back? Yep, as long as he comes back as the compressed, tumbling, one-liner-spouting bundle of fun that he used to be. Beyond that, leave 'em dead, i say.

But let the new Alpha be lead by Captain Canuck, Canada's greatest superhero...that'd be cool. He had the fighting skills and spirit of Captain America, with the detective skills of Batman, and he never lacke din courage or decision-making prowess.

I say, "Give us Captain Canuck in Alpha Flight!"
    How could Heather and Mac's baby be possibly "normal"? Both parents exposed regularly to electromagnetic radiation, one parent was a cyborg (made that way by an alien race) and Heather was wearing the mystery geo suit for months before she got pregnant.

I'd like to see Heather be one of the survivors (always loved the character), there's nothing to suggest that Heather and any of the other Alphans that "died" via the Collective are actually "dead". For all we know, it could be revealed that Mac merely shut down, Heather and Puck ended up in comas for months or some other survival scenario, etc...Maybe even Walter placed them all in suspended animation somewhere hoping they could be revived?

Walter only made mention, that he was the only "survivor", that could be interpreted in a number of ways...If a future writer wanted to revive a few of them (or all of them).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath07
    I agree. As far as I can see, X-Men has been spiralling downhill for a while. And, being that the X series are Marvel's biggest draws, you would have to think that they are getting nervous in their corporate office. I bet they have started to lose a lot of cash. Which, of course, leads us right into the acquisition by Disney.

Disney has money. I wonder if I could convince them to acquire the rights to Captain Canuck? With Mac dead and raised and dead and raised and dead again (did I miss any?), we have no real Canadian icons anymore in comics. And, I think it is time James STAYED dead. Heather coming back? I could live with that, as long as she stays out of "the suit" and concentrates on raising her child (and that child does not end up a mutant/serial killer/abducted by aliens). Puck coming back? Yep, as long as he comes back as the compressed, tumbling, one-liner-spouting bundle of fun that he used to be. Beyond that, leave 'em dead, i say.

But let the new Alpha be lead by Captain Canuck, Canada's greatest superhero...that'd be cool. He had the fighting skills and spirit of Captain America, with the detective skills of Batman, and he never lacke din courage or decision-making prowess.

I say, "Give us Captain Canuck in Alpha Flight!"
    Despite the quality of the X-Books these days, the Avengers line has pretty much supplanted them as the top sellers. Last I heard Marvel's publishing division is quite profitable.

That said, a crossover or team up with Captain Canuck would be awesome. I had a lot of fun with the recent CC hardcover. I can't wait for the next one.

I had a lot of fun with the recent CC hardcover. I can't wait for the next one.
    Yeah, just got mine two days ago. Loved it!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I would bring them back sort of how the JLA did with Obsidian Age back in the day. Shaman casted a spell through the land (Manitou on JLA) and now they are wandering the spiritual plane for the right moment...maybe protected and guided by Narya's kid. The Great BEast can come (like AF vol1 #1) while hints are being left by Shaman and crew through Talisman. Canada has alot of spiritual connections throughout the series and would be a good out. I only write fanfics but thats how I would do it

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I'm a bit disappointed in many of my fellow Alpha Flight fans...I've seen very few (from this board) make their voices heard in the "Bring Back Alpha Flight" threads at the Marvel boards, on Newsarama
    The following is my excuses, and I'm stickin' to 'em:

1. I don't want to join any more fora. The most I ever did was four, then I got sick to death of two of them and quit; the other remaining one I almost never visit. This one is great and I love it! but I haven't liked others.

2. It is really difficult to type when cold. Actually, that has nothing to do with me not posting, but it'll explain any typos here, I hope. Kwijibo.

3. I'm not sure I want an Alpha Flight title right now. At least, I don't trust Marvel with the title, not after the last three burns. Omega Flight was a good series, but none of the other Alpha Flight relaunches had much of anything to do with Alpha Flight, other than a name and a Canadian setting. I don't want that again.

- Le Messor
    "Selfishness must always be forgiven, you know, because there is no hope of a cure."
    - Jane Austen

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    I would bring them back sort of how the JLA did with Obsidian Age back in the day. Shaman casted a spell through the land (Manitou on JLA) and now they are wandering the spiritual plane for the right moment...maybe protected and guided by Narya's kid. The Great BEast can come (like AF vol1 #1) while hints are being left by Shaman and crew through Talisman. Canada has alot of spiritual connections throughout the series and would be a good out. I only write fanfics but thats how I would do it
    I had a very similar idea. I always thought a very clean way to hit the reset button would be for Shaman to have cast some sort of resurrection spell upon the team back in AF #1. The only catch is that they've all got to be dead before it kicks in, so the story would start with the deaths of whatever poor Alphan's are left alive, only to have the whole batch of them wake up together in the spirit realm for some quest back to the land of the living. Anyways...

I figure they can easily put out a variety of good AF series, written by Van Lente, Torres, and many other interested writers. But the WILL to do it at Marvel Editorial is seriously lacking.

Another point, I know a girl named Quiji-Bo. Her Dad said the name came to him in a dream.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I had a very similar idea. I always thought a very clean way to hit the reset button would be for Shaman to have cast some sort of resurrection spell upon the team back in AF #1. The only catch is that they've all got to be dead before it kicks in, so the story would start with the deaths of whatever poor Alphan's are left alive, only to have the whole batch of them wake up together in the spirit realm for some quest back to the land of the living. Anyways..
    Makes sense. Youc an tie in why Walter was the lone survivor if you bring in the Great Beast into it. Then tie in Talisman since she has both the tiarra of power and the pouch. Hmm........I might do a short so Mokole isnt the only fanfic guy here[/quote]

I had a very similar idea. I always thought a very clean way to hit the reset button would be for Shaman to have cast some sort of resurrection spell upon the team back in AF #1. The only catch is that they've all got to be dead before it kicks in, so the story would start with the deaths of whatever poor Alphan's are left alive, only to have the whole batch of them wake up together in the spirit realm for some quest back to the land of the living. Anyways...
    This is interesting. But I immediately see a few problems with it.

First, if the spell was cast upon the team in AF # 1...who was on the team at this point? The truth is, Puck and Marina weren't really a part of Alpha then, were they? So, we would resurrect AF, minus those two?

Second, NO WAY do I want Mac brought back again. No way, no how. Been there, done that to death (pun intended).

By the way, on a side note...the more that I read the first volume of AF, the more that I am convinced that Sasquatch never was leadership material. In his Sassy form, he always had a tendency to over-react with rage and anger.
    Making him the leader in Volume 3 (and in Omega), was a huge disservice to AF. Well, actually, AF Vol 3 was a huge disservice to AF regardless...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    The biggest problem with that is Shaman can't resurrect the dead....He doesn't have the power. Talisman, on the other hand does...Her father made mention of it (once or twice) in Volume One...She just didn't have the experience or the training to be able to do it.

I sometimes wonder if Michael Twoyoungmen was way out of his league when trying to train Elizabeth (after she first got her powers)...She had so much untapped potential, power that even he couldn't seem to tap into, when he temporarily became Talisman. I just don't think he had the proper training himself to be able to train/guide the Talisman.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    The biggest problem with that is Shaman can't resurrect the dead....He doesn't have the power. Talisman, on the other hand does...Her father made mention of it (once or twice) in Volume One...She just didn't have the experience or the training to be able to do it.

I sometimes wonder if Michael Twoyoungmen was way out of his league when trying to train Elizabeth (after she first got her powers)...She had so much untapped potential, power that even he couldn't seem to tap into, when he temporarily became Talisman. I just don't think he had the proper training himself to be able to train/guide the Talisman.

Dana
    I think you're right about Shaman being out of his league, but I think the amount that he failed with Elizabeth proved that. I always saw it as a bit of a failure when HE became the Talisman. Maybe I just didn't like that character arc at all and I'm projecting that distaste onto it.

...and yeah, my resurrection idea has HUGE gaping holes in it. It's hardly something I've put more than 5 minutes of thought into. I think there just comes a point where the history of the characters is so buggered up that a cheapo reset button is the only way to get it back to a state that people want in short order. I mean you could fix it with a series of long retcons and whatnot, but I doubt future Alpha writers will ever have the luxury of time to do that. (and don't as me about my "Razer was just an elaborate ruse cooked up by Llan to screw with Judd -- EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG!" story )

He wouldnt have cast a spell to connect their souls to the land in AF #1. He could have done it in New Avengers. Manitou in JLA casted his spirit walk spell and a few were already gutted- they ripped of Flash's legs. In that JLA he did the spirit chant when everyone was dead and only Kyle Rayner Green Lantern was left. He just needed a sacrifice. It could be worked out similarly

...I've seen very few (from this board) make their voices heard in the "Bring Back Alpha Flight" threads at the Marvel boards...
    Just to update a bit, I changed the name of the thread at the Marvel boards to The Alpha Flight Appreciation Thread as suggested by a couple posters.

Here's the new link: The Alpha Flight Appreciation Thread

I had an idea (which I may have posted before, can't recall) that would have Talisman, Sasquatch, Snowbird and Earthmover (who has made a new medicine pouch) form a new AF to round up all the former members still alive (including any depowered mutants like Windshear) in an effort to to create a cosmic cube to bring the team back from the dead.
    As they go about it, they have to cross into the US which would bring them into conflict with the Initiative teams as well as the X-men and Norman Osborne's T-bolts and Avengers.
    Eventually, they gather everyone who is willing to join them, fight their way through the States getting help from big brains like Reed Richards in figuring out how to build a cube, then finally making one. They succeed in resurrecting most of the dead (with the exceptions of Puck II and Major Maple Leaf II who wish to remain together happily in death, and Shaman who also wishes to remain in the afterlife with his wife) and a new AF is formed, with some heroes choosing to take support roles rather than being active agents. Shaman does hang around as a spirit and helps to train Earthmover as the new Shaman.

Sounds pretty cool...Except for Earthmover, I really dislike the character. It's probably because I like Shaman/Michael Twoyoungmen and didn't want a replacement (that's what Chuck was apparently being groomed for...bleh!).

I guess I wouldn't mind Michael as a guiding spirit for Elizabeth/Talisman, though. I would rather see Mac left dead...He's been back far too many times as it is.

Dana