Thread: Pointless, but talk

Default Pointless, but talk

Joe Quesada is now doing his Cup o' Joe at CBR, and polls. First one is:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=41

I voted for the obvious choice. You can only vote once per computer link, I guess, but it's nice to see AF in third
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Thanks for the heads up, Mokole! I voted for AF, also!

I guess Joe thinks he's amusing, but I voted AF too....Maybe it will show him that people actually care about the team (380+ votes so far)?

It's great to see Steve Rogers is still the favorite for Cap, though.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Alpha Flight is in third place now with 413 votes! In your face JQ! :P

Two AF/OF answers this week, both saying "No, no Alpha Flight."

Oh well, keep plugging.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Jonah Weiland: One thing I can tell you about Alpha Flight and Omega Flight is that whenever we've done previews of those books on CBR, the response is disproportionately huge. It's like we previewed an X-Book. It's a very curious thing. Maybe our site is just full of a crapload of Canadians or something.
    Joe Quesada: It's remarkable how that stuff happens with respect to fan demand and certain ideas or concepts. Every once in a while, there will be a significant amount of interest for a particular book, character or group of characters and then if we publish that book, that interest doesn’t manifest itself in sales or at least in a proportionate amount when compared to the vocal demand. I think that there are certain characters and teams where the idea of them is much more attractive than the reality. Or, the onus could simply be on us, maybe we're just not executing properly.

I remember, long before I was EIC, there were certain characters like that, Nick Fury, Namor or even Silver Surfer. When they showed up in a title I was always blown away and wanted to see them in their own book. But given their own solo title, they seemed to lack that certain something. Now, this isn’t an absolute of course, but there are just certain characters that are stronger in supporting or cameo roles than ongoing.

But I’m also a guy that doesn’t believe you can’t buck tradition or a trend, so we’ll keep plugging away at this stuff because sometimes its just a matter of finding the right creators to turn something that was never consider a mainstream concept into a huge hit.

So, in short, how does this vocal demand not translate into actual sales? I have no idea, but I’ll take the blame and just say that perhaps we haven’t found the right hook for these types of projects.
    Well, at least JQ is entertaining the idea that the problem is on their end. After all, OF did have amazing sales (better than She-hulk to name one ongoing) but was not picked up despite assertions that good sales would be the determining factor.
    I just wish he would finally come out and admit there is a bias against AF. We the fans have told Marvel time and again what we want to see and who we want to see as the creative force behind a new AF, yet they never listen to us! Does Marvel want our money? They can have it (well, at least they could have mine) if they put Fred Van Lente in the driver's seat and bring the original team back to life.
    If Marvel is a business, then they should listen to their customers and give us what we want!

Does Marvel want our money? They can have it (well, at least they could have mine) if they put Fred Van Lente in the driver's seat and bring the original team back to life.
    If Marvel is a business, then they should listen to their customers and give us what we want!
    Agreed.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I guess Joe thinks he's amusing, but I voted AF too....Maybe it will show him that people actually care about the team (380+ votes so far)?
    It's great to see Steve Rogers is still the favorite for Cap, though.
    Dana
    Steve Rogers is the classic, of course. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the fave.

Great to see the 'shoe-in' "let's 'ave a larff at the fans' expense" ring-in vote being third at 512 (after I voted). Pity he won't take those votes seriously - and we know they weren't all serious.

But plenty were!

As for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Quesada
    Every once in a while, there will be a significant amount of interest for a particular book, character or group of characters and then if we publish that book, that interest doesn’t manifest itself in sales or at least in a proportionate amount when compared to the vocal demand.
    If they actually put the characters in the book, that would be a friken start!
    Agh!

The sales don't match the demand? Well, neither does the product!!!!

You eeeeeeeediot!!!

Sorry, but that's just so... unh!

- Le Messor
    "Force has no place where there is need of skill."

Joe made the same "joke" in the "Which Avengers team was your fave?" poll...I voted for AF again...Serves him right.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Joe made the same "joke" in the "Which Avengers team was your fave?" poll...I voted for AF again...Serves him right.

Dana
    haha and Alpha Flight is second in that poll

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Revenge of the Alpha Flight fans.

Dana