Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 'shout out'

Default A 'shout out'

Well, even Steve Wacker mentions AF without mentioning anything much.

"Hello, Newsarama. Right where I left you two months ago, I see. Dead-eyed, vacant staring eyes glazing ham-like at CB Cebulski’s Twitter feed and Brevoort’s blog hoping against hope they give you one seed of advice that will allow you to pole vault over the desperately like-minded and get your one, true Alpha Flight pitch approved."
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

does that mean that multiple alpha flight pitches are out there? that statement totally confuses me, and i've re-read it a bunch of times.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    does that mean that multiple alpha flight pitches are out there? that statement totally confuses me, and i've re-read it a bunch of times.
    I think he's laughing at those of us who've "pitched" ideas for a new AF series to Marvel employees.

gotcha, i see what he's saying now, that he's reading all the internet blogs and twitters and seeing all the alpha flight stuff, not sure he should have used the word "advice" though, maybe "evidence"?

I guess he proved my point that there's "negativity" towards AF at Marvel.

Please try not to take offfense at this (if anything, my time in Texas, and posting here, has shown me that this thought is in error), but things like this just tend to reinforce the stereotype that Americans have, which is that they do not really care about anything that isn't American.

If Alpha Flight was based out of California or New York, and had only Americans on the team, it'd be a launch already. Problem at Marvel seems to be, they can't do that, so they are lost!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I think you have a good point, FP...Especially where Joe Q is concerned...I definitely think he has some issues with anything happening outside the U.S....Which is strange considering they do sell plenty of comics outside of the States.

Just look at Secret Invasion, the major places invaded were the US and the UK (England specifically, I think)...Canada wasn't touched by the Invasion? Russia? Australia? China and Japan? Some of the biggest, most powerful countries weren't hit by the Skrull Invasion forces? That seems exceedingly strange. Wouldn't it have been wiser to establish a power base in at least, one of the other world-power countries (besides hitting the U.S. where most of the superhuman populace is located)?

Look at M Day for another example of U.S. snobbery...Most of the world's mutant population was de-powered, except for a small group that resided in the United States (including a few Canadian mutants like Diamond Lil and Persuasion). Almost all of the 300 or so still-powered mutants in the world are now residing in the U.S....That's just stupid and odd. There are certain exceptions, but they are painfully few compared to the sheer number of mutants left living the in the U.S.

Why was Wanda's power so selective?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Not to defend JQ or anything, but I think Marvel has pared down its books to properties it knows will sell. Hence why Wolverine is in a dozen different titles every month, and why M Day and Secret Invasion dealt almost exclusively with the American heroes. However, it's a bad cycle. Marvel hasn't put the effort into many non-American characters, so they aren't that popular, so not enough readers want to read about them, so they don't sell books, so Marvel doesn't put the effort into them, etc.

And, according to Marvel, the reason so many American mutants survived M Day, is due to the magic-based characters like Doc Strange putting up a barrier against the Scarlet Witch's spell which protected most of the US mutants (that were nearer) while foreign mutants (who were outside the barrier and therefore not protected) were the ones affected.
    In my books, this still equates to an American-centric snobbery on Marvel's part, so I'll keep voting with my wallet and continue to not buy Marvel books until AF returns.

I'm not so sure Marvel has pared down their books...There are more Avengers and X-Books than ever...Not to mention, Spider-Man and Wolverine each have several titles.

The Dr. Strange M-Day magical defense story is new to me...I hadn't heard that before...Interesting.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I'm not so sure Marvel has pared down their books...There are more Avengers and X-Books than ever...Not to mention, Spider-Man and Wolverine each have several titles.
    I didn't mean they've reduced the number of books, but rather that they're making more books using fewer characters. You know, Wolverine is in, what, six different titles? There are three Avenger books I think, and I'm not sure how many X-men and Spider-man titles there are. They put out about the same number as they use to, but most of the books use the same characters, because they sell.
    However, characters such as AF that haven't been successful, are reduced in appearances until they're killed off or sent into limbo. Doctor Strange hasn't been able to hold a book in years, so they're getting a new Sorcerer Supreme. She-hulk couldn't hold her title either, so they're replacing her. Same thing with Black Panther. If the new versions don't work, then they might be killed off as well.
    Pretty soon the only books Marvel puts out will be the Incredible, Fantastic X-Spider Avengers!

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I didn't mean they've reduced the number of books, but rather that they're making more books using fewer characters. You know, Wolverine is in, what, six different titles? There are three Avenger books I think, and I'm not sure how many X-men and Spider-man titles there are. They put out about the same number as they use to, but most of the books use the same characters, because they sell.
    However, characters such as AF that haven't been successful, are reduced in appearances until they're killed off or sent into limbo. Doctor Strange hasn't been able to hold a book in years, so they're getting a new Sorcerer Supreme. She-hulk couldn't hold her title either, so they're replacing her. Same thing with Black Panther. If the new versions don't work, then they might be killed off as well.
    Pretty soon the only books Marvel puts out will be the Incredible, Fantastic X-Spider Avengers!
    I misunderstood what you meant about Marvel's paring back, L...I see what you mean now.

I highly doubt a female Panther is going to work, though. Some characters just seem to have no luck carrying their own titles and constant re-inventing can't make a character any better. However, when characters are handled wrong-headedly, then they're bound to be failures (volume three of Alpha Flight, anyone?).

Doctor Strange hasn't been given the right treatment yet, IMHO (I feel the same about Alpha)...It's no big surprise that he's considered a bad risk.

But....Omega Flight was a success by today's selling standards...However, Marvel killed the project and claims that the Alpha/Omega Flight concept is failure and until a viable is found, there will be no new Flight title. I smell a rat.

Dana

I highly doubt a female Panther is going to work, though. Some characters just seem to have no luck carrying their own titles and constant re-inventing can't make a character any better. However, when characters are handled wrong-headedly, then they're bound to be failures (volume three of Alpha Flight, anyone?).

Doctor Strange hasn't been given the right treatment yet, IMHO (I feel the same about Alpha)...It's no big surprise that he's considered a bad risk.

But....Omega Flight was a success by today's selling standards...However, Marvel killed the project and claims that the Alpha/Omega Flight concept is failure and until a viable is found, there will be no new Flight title. I smell a rat.

Dana
    Couldn't agree more.

One of the reasons I got a little pissed off with Wacker's comment had to do with the fact that AF has been mishandled for decades now, and when the fans come right out and tell them what we want he twists it into it being "a pitch".

How many times has Excalibur/MI-13 been started over as it's been constantly being cancelled? Look at Exiles they just restarted the entire franchise once again from scratch. So why Marvel doen't even try for Alpha Flight is beyond me.

And 4 reboots (in 5 years) for the poor selling She-Hulk, and Spider-Girl, what now, 3 or 4 reboots.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I smell a rat.
    Sorry. I swear I've had a shower.

- LM
    "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
    - Mother Teresa