Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight cameo in Pizza Hut Super Savings Book

Default Alpha Flight cameo in Pizza Hut Super Savings Book

I came across an interesting little mini-comic with an Alpha Flight cameo. It's a free promo from Pizza Hut, published in 1993 called "The Pizza Hut Super Savings Book" featuring the X-Men. Pizza Hut would go on to publish a series of other comics with the X-Men, along with drinking glasses, posters, etc. The book is a mini-comic, about 11x18cm (which is 4.25 inches by 7.13 inches) and only 8pp long. The red border on the right (see below) is a pull-out coupon book with $2.00 pizza coupons, that sort of thing.

Inside is a recounting of the story of the X-Men, taken from Uncanny X-Men #138. Selected panels from that issue are re-organized into four pages to quickly tell the story from issues #1 to 138 just like the original, but reduced to just 4 pages, so much of the story is omitted. Also, the perspective is changed to that of Professor X, not Cyclops. The editors did a great job re-using many of the original captions, but inserting perfectly matched captions as written by Professor X.

Alpha Flight appeared in two panels in the original Uncanny X-Men #138, one being a re-creation of the scene in UXM #109 where Weapon Alpha bursts out of the ground, and another generic flashback panel to the events of UXM #120-1. The latter panel is reproduced in this little Pizza Hut Super Savings Book, with a few differences: Northstar and Aurora's hair are colored a light blue, not white like the original, and the caption in the lower left corner of the panel has been removed, showing a small obscured portion of the panel containing Vindicator's left foot, Sasquatch's left foot and both of Shaman's and Snowbird's feet. The caption above them has been reduced in size and re-written to read, "We helped Ka-Zar save the Savage Land, helped Sunfire save Japan, and met the Canadian super-hero group Alpha Flight."

The last two pages quickly jump from 1980 to more recent developments in the early 1990s, with art taken from some issue of Uncanny X-Men that I probably don't have or never read.

Here is a picture of the cover

It's neato and tiny, a very cute bit of ephemera.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I saw the bizarrest "Alpha Flight cameo" ever yesterday. I was driving back from the airport, and I passed the flight services vans. Only, the brand was Alpha. So, the vans literally read: "Alpha Flight Service".

Not really relevant, but it wasn't worth its own thread, and I didn't know where else to mention it.

Also:

It's the red and white that does it to me...

- Le Messor
    "Ask a lot, but take what is offered."
    - Russian Proverb.

Ok, ok, very funny, NOW you are just teasing me.

It's okay, gonna go read more Alpha Flight to make myself feel better.

Love,
    rplass

This is fascinating! Wish I could have seen the little pictures of Alpha Flight you mentioned, (although I do remember them from Uncanny X-Men #13.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    Ok, ok, very funny, NOW you are just teasing me.
    rplass
    Whaddaya mean, 'now'?

S'rously, I wasn't making fun of your post, if that's what you mean. I saw an opportunity, I took it.

- Le Messor
    "The trouble with having a fertile mind is that the weeds grow as prolific as the pastures."
    - P.K. Shaw

Le Messor, aw, I'm just kidding, but I think you were tying to find something even more obscure than the Pizza Hut promo, and you did!

Birdy, I could scan the page but the little book is so delicate... It might ruin the spine to crush it under the weight of the scanner. I'll try to take a hi-res photo of the page instead.

Love,
    rplass

Thanks, rplass!

The cover to this is a Liefield? It's very similar to the art on X-Force #1.

Nice find though. Wonder how hard it would be to find one of these?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    The cover to this is a Liefield? It's very similar to the art on X-Force #1.

Nice find though. Wonder how hard it would be to find one of these?
    I believe the cover art is by Ron Lim.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Your probably right Dana. I am pretty crap at identifying artists unless they have a very unique style. All those characters seem to be in proportion so likelyhood it ain't Liefield (Liefeld).
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Do you know what issue the cover art is from? I'm not so familiar with Ron Lim.

Thanks,
    rplass

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Do you know what issue the cover art is from? I'm not so familiar with Ron Lim.

Thanks,
    rplass
    No...But he did a lot of the art for the Infinity Crusade (?...The one with the Goddess character). It feels to me, like itcould be art from that series.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Images

Le Messor, aw, I'm just kidding, but I think you were tying to find something even more obscure than the Pizza Hut promo, and you did!
    Birdy, I could scan the page but the little book is so delicate... It might ruin the spine to crush it under the weight of the scanner. I'll try to take a hi-res photo of the page instead.
    I'd really just noticed them the day before, by coincidence (not the first time for the cereal, tho').

Can you scan it without putting down the lid? Some work that way.

- LM
    "There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth - not going all the way, and not starting."
    - Buddha

I found an article about the Pizza Hut promotion in an old Marvel Age magazine, issue #128. This was the 1st of 2 Pizza Hut/Marvel ventures. The article is about all the products in the promotion and says this about the little coupon book:

"During the promotion, some Pizza Huts will also distribute coupon books which will offer discounts on Pizza Hut food items and will familiarize customers with the X-Men 30 year history."

It should have said "and a little picture of Alpha Flight will appear in the coupon book!" but strangely, it didn't say that.

Love,
    rplass

Images

It should have said "and a little picture of Alpha Flight will appear in the coupon book!" but strangely, it didn't say that.
    They always miss the obvious stuff.

- Le Messor
    "One of the greatest delusions in this world is the hope that the evils of this world can be cured by legislation."
    - Thomas B. Reed