Thread: THOR & HERCULES: ENCYCLOPAEDIA MYTHOLOGICA

Default THOR & HERCULES: ENCYCLOPAEDIA MYTHOLOGICA

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...ES__ENCYCL.jpg

Written by ANTHONY FLAMINI, FRED VAN LENTE, PAUL CORNELL & GREG PAK
    Cover by MICO SUAYAN

For the first time ever — all of Marvel's mighty pantheons, all in one handbook! Thor and Hercules aren't the only gods in town, as the ENCYCLOPAEDIA MYTHOLOGICA spotlights everything from Aztecs to Zoroaster! Brush up on the eternal rivalry between the Green Knight and the Red Lord! Meet Anitun and the Diwatas, the gods of the Philippines! Learn the dark origin of Mikaboshi, the Shinto god of evil! Explore the mystical dimension of Otherworld! Plus: Panther Gods, Lion Gods and Snowbirds!
    64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99
    ----
    Snowbird's on the cover and I would assume there would be something on the Great Beasts and the Gods of the Arctic. Possibly even Llan.

Definetly picking this up

You forgot one King...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A TO Z VOL. 9 PREMIERE HC
    Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, SEAN MCQUAID, MICHAEL HOSKIN, STUART VANDAL, RONALD BYRD, DAVID WILTFONG, MADISON CARTER, MIKE FICHERA, CHAD ANDERSON, CHRIS BIGGS, ERIC J. MOREELS, MARK O'ENGLISH, AL SJOERDSMA, JACOB ROUGEMONT, GABRIEL SHECHTER, ANTHONY FLAMINI, JEPH YORK, RICH GREEN, MARKUS ETTLINGER, ANDREW GOLETZ, ROB LONDON & MICHEL GARIEPY
    Penciled by VARIOUS
    Cover by TOM GRUMMETT
    Consider this an intervention: You like to pretend you can tell the difference between Ronan and Ronin, but you can't keep it up. Let go of your Pride, the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe was made for people like you! Where else are you going to get comprehensive biographies on everyone from the Punisher to Arcturus Rann? You get heroes like Polaris, Power Pack, Power Princess, Prodigy, Professor X, Prowler, Kitty Pryde, Psi-Force, Psylocke, Puck, Quake, Quasar, Quicksilver, Rage, Monica Rambeau, Rawhide Kid, Rocket Raccoon, Rockslide, Rogue, Runaways, Sage and Sasquatch! And in villains, there's Plantman, Psycho-Man, Puppet Master, Purple Man, Pyro, Radioactive Man, Reavers, Red Skull, Rhino, Sabretooth, Sandman and more besides! By the time you're quoting Proteus history by heart you'll be the envy of your peers!
    240 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-3106-9
    Trim size: standard

Doubt it'll shed any light on Pucks' true fate or Sasquatch's true current path. But maybe.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I received my Encyclopaedia Mythologica yesterday, and it's terrific! I found the entry for the Inua the most fascinating, of course. Never knew Snowbird had so many relatives! The only ones we used to see in Alpha Flight were Nelvanna, Hodiak, and Turoq the Shaper. Also, there was an excellent biography for Narya. All Snowbird (and Alpha) fans should buy this book. Well-done!

I got it to BirdyGirl, and I too found it an enjoyable read. I'm glad they shed some light on the other Gods as well.

For those who want to know what other Gods that are apart of the Inua (Northern Gods) are, they follow below...

Hodiak, God of the Sky
    Kadlu, Goddess of Lightning
    Negafok, God of Cold Weather
    Nelvanna, Goddess of the Northern Lights
    Nanuq, God of Polar Bears
    Sedna, Goddess of the Sea & Death
    Snowbird/Narya, Goddess of Nature
    Tekkeitsertok, God of Caribou & the Hunt
    Turoq/Shaper, God of Change

They live in the realm of Quidlivun.

Snowbird is the Goddess of Nature? Makes sense.

Never heard of these other gods referenced before.

The text of the Inua entry is nearly identical to the text from the Hardcover A-Z handbook #5, nothing new except for some minor explanations and a bit of sentence structure correction. The new illustration with all the Inua lined up in a row is nifty too.

The Snowbird entry as far as I know is completely new, and might be reprinted in the Hardcover A-Z handbook when it comes out.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    I got it to BirdyGirl, and I too found it an enjoyable read. I'm glad they shed some light on the other Gods as well.

For those who want to know what other Gods that are apart of the Inua (Northern Gods) are, they follow below...

Hodiak, God of the Sky
    Kadlu, Goddess of Lightning
    Negafok, God of Cold Weather
    Nelvanna, Goddess of the Northern Lights
    Nanuq, God of Polar Bears
    Sedna, Goddess of the Sea & Death
    Snowbird/Narya, Goddess of Nature
    Tekkeitsertok, God of Caribou & the Hunt
    Turoq/Shaper, God of Change

They live in the realm of Quidlivun.
    Five of those gods are "real" (being based on actual Inuit folklore) in that list. They are...Sedna (BTW, she appeared a few years back in Avengers), Tekkeitsertok/tekkeitserktock, Negafok/Negafook, Kadlu and Nanuq/Nanook.

All of the god-characters that appeared in Alpha Flight (Snowbird/Narya, Nelvanna, Hodiak and Turoq) John Byrne made up (well...Except for Nelvanna, which he based on Nelvana, the Golden Age Super Heroine from Canadian comics).

It's definitely cool to see Narya and her fam get some print time.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    The new illustration with all the Inua lined up in a row is nifty too.
    If you like that, you might want to check out
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/godsinut.htm

Great job! The labeling was helpful, as I didn't know most of these characters already.

isnt turoq who sasquatch is shaped after?

Nope, that's Tanaraq. Turoq is one of the three Northern Gods first appearing in Alpha Flight #7 (Snowbird origin).

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    The new illustration with all the Inua lined up in a row is nifty too.
    If you like that, you might want to check out
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/godsinut.htm
    Very nice!