Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alphan in X-men 508 Revealed (Spoiler Warning)

Default Alphan in X-men 508 Revealed (Spoiler Warning)

Well, it wasn't a big shock, but Comic Book Resources just confirmed that the Alphan to "join" the X-men in 508 is...Northstar. At least he is back in the limelight and slated to play a major role. Hopefully Aurora will show up at some point!

No spoiler space, it's in the thread title.

Yeah, Jeffries and Aurora are there too... except Jeanne-Marie's the COO of Northstar Snowsports, uh, ok, nice hat though!

I'm happy about Northstar joining, but NOT happy about the Alpha Flight insult. Completely unnecessary, and disrespectful... who does he think killed them, a small puppy? Damn, unless it's Matt Fraction trying too hard to give the guy a chip on his shoulder about his Alpha Flight membership. What was he thinking, that Alpha Flight fans would be all, "haha, yeah, they're dead, what a riot! knee-slap, knee-slap, guffaw, guffaw?" Terrible.

I really hope we don't get more quips like that from him.

Oh and JP's finally got an SO, some dude, no name. I think it's the first time we actually see him in a relationship, with a tiny bit of playful sexytalk nonetheless...

Collect the Wolverine appreciation cover, if you can find it. It's all "Logan van Gogh"

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

rplass, you have the issue, I take it. I thought the stuff was on CBR.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Yes, I made a rare Wednesday night dash to the LCS. I don't usually go on Wednesdays but I had some time tonight.

Wow, that 508 thread on CBR is absolutely brutal. They really ripped apart this issue, very tough. I'm glad we are all so nice here

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

So the title is no longer called "The Uncanny X-Men" instead, "The Uncanny Canucks"?!

"thats embarassing even for me, and i used to be part of alpha flight"

so i've now dropped iron man and uncanny from my pull list.

matt fraction is 2 years removed from being a clerk in a comic book store and he's gonna disrespect them.

unreal the cockiness going on over at marvel these days, bunch of writers with no respect.

That comment irked me, but then again Northstar was never really a huge fan of Alpha Flight to begin with.

this is true guys. for the early run, Northstar only purpose was his sister. He couldnt care less but softened up later in the series. Once he joined the XMen to teach finances, X-writers fell in love with the dude and it seems to me, a mainstay on the series. I got that feel in AoA. You could see the strong love for the characters even though they werent XMen

Wolverine, Northstar, Jeffries, Aurora, Weapon Omega. Diamond Lil and Persuassion Radius made some cameos. I kind of wish Walt joined the Avengers since there are no one else up in Canada

I like seeing my Alphans. If all these X-writers keep dipping Alpha characters, shouldnt this signal to Joe Q that they have a strong character base

I could understand if Northstar was a new character who had a brief tenure with AF. The comments would reinforce that he didn't like Alpha and that he's a bit of a dick, but he's not new. I guess the comments should be expected when it comes to Marvels treatment and perception of AF.

I've also heard that they eat babies as well.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=20846

Psylocke wasn’t the only established character Fraction brought back in “Uncanny” #508. He also had Wolverine go and recruit former Alpha Flight member Northstar to join the ranks of the X-Men. And like Psylocke, there were a number of reasons why Fraction wanted to make Northstar a cast member in “Uncanny.” “With the exception of Surge, who’s kind of young and a little inexperienced, they don’t really have a lot of speed on the ground and when I wrote the ‘SFX’ arc and had a guy on a Ducati bike out-racing all of them, I felt if I were Cyclops I’d recognize that as a deficiency. They really needed some speed, so I thought let’s bring in Northstar to remedy that,” Fraction explained. “So he was a strategic get, but I also like the character a lot. I like the idea of bringing him in and secondarily I like what character says about the book right now.”

Fraction finds Northstar especially compelling because of the character’s lack of self-doubt. “He’s extremely confident in who he is and what he can do. Having someone positive and assertive is kind of nice in a team full of people wracked with angst and self-doubt. And to write a guy who believes in himself supremely is a lot of fun. It’s not Namor-like arrogance, it’s just Northstar’s biggest fan is himself. I think he earns that in this story. He’s got a lot of great moments.

“Plus there’s a reason why I wanted him to be in the extreme sports milieu when we see him in this issue. It’s seems like he’d be an adrenalin junkie and that would be the kind of thing he’d be into. I also want to exploit that and have that, in, of being famous. And I like that he’s an unapologetic, out-of-the-closet gay man. That’s great to write too.”

Hmmmmmm....Just how many times does Northstar have to "join" the X-Men, this will be the third time he's been "recruited"...Isn't he a member already? Jean was the first to ask him to join, then Prof X and now Wolverine?

He was used pretty well the first time out, unevenly the second time he was a member...I'm curious to how he'll be used by Fraction (I doubt even Jean Paul would make such a nasty comment about the people he worked with for years, though).

Sheesh!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    (I doubt even Jean Paul would make such a nasty comment about the people he worked with for years, though).

Sheesh!

Dana
    Yeah, I agree. Especially since AF members he served a lot of time with are dead unless he doesn't know that thought Wolverine does. And to boot Wolvie doesn't stick up for AF's memory and he was supposed to be so close to Mac, Heather, Puck and Shaman.

Poor characterization so far but we'll see where this goes. Perhaps the idea was the put some Alphans on the team so when the X-Men come across the Dark X-Men, the take a piece out of Pointer for what he's done.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

Perhaps the idea was the put some Alphans on the team so when the X-Men come across the Dark X-Men, the take a piece out of Pointer for what he's done.
    Are we absolutely sure that is Pointer?

The reason i say this is, the more i look at the pictures, the more i think it looks a bit like a sickle on his uniform. Maybe a Russian mutant of some sort?

I dunno, i'm just saying...i am not completely convinced that it is Pointer. For all we know, Mailman Mike is still happily pretending to be a Canadian somewhere...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

I think it's Pointer, Omega Red is a little bit more flamboyant in his appearence and attire.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I think it's Pointer, Omega Red is a little bit more flamboyant in his appearence and attire.
    Could be another Russian mutant, though. Marvel does have (has had) a few of them.
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/