Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fabulous is a good word. Starting bid $200 for AF #1, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    I was thinking, what is the most expensive Alpha Flight comic?

Not counting CGC graded comics of course...

Within volume 1, I bet it's the 1st printing of #106 (with red "Alpha Flight' title). But that can be found for $15-$20, no problem.

Uncanny X-Men #109 is fairly expensive, the best ever copy I saw was a drool perfect one for $95.

But for the most expensive, I'd have to say three comics. Two are very rare variant covers of Wolverine #145, which has a small cameo of Alpha Flight. There is an all-black one, known as the "Nabisco" variant which goes for $100-150. Recently I saw an absolutely perfect copy at a convention for $120. There's another variant which I've never seen, a Dynamic Forces variant. I saw one on eBay for $155, didn't snag it.

The third would be a reprint of Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, one printed in Germany, which I've never seen, but once was on eBay for a heck of a lot... it was also around $100-$150 I think, can't remember.

click to see big image

Any other really expensive Alpha Flight comics out there?

Love,
    rplass
    Lucky lucky for me: I finally got a mint mint mint copy of the Dynamic Forces version of Wolverine #145 at a convention ....negotiated the guy down to $80, damn good price and a nice nice AF collectible! So that knocks the Nabisco variant up to the top spot for "most expensive Alpha Flight comic"

Love
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Rplass, GREAT point about print runs. Because of this, last issues of longer-running titles are almost always a great long term investment. (Star Wars #1 reg. price $87.50. #107 sale price $132.00)
    Mile High Comics is a great resource for this.
    #7 has an "MV Letter" variant worth considerably more than the normal issue. I have no idea what the difference is.
    Sorry to disprove anybody, but #10 also has a reprint that came with a Sasquatch toy.
    Last issue phenomenon holds true for AF, with 127, 129 and 130 being the three top regular (non-duplicasted as in newstand/regular, etc.) listings of the run. 106 is worth about 2 times the average for the main run, and the Deathstrike issue is worth no more than any other.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24 View Post
    #7 has an "MV Letter" variant worth considerably more than the normal issue. I have no idea what the difference is.
    That's #7 of Alpha Flight, right? (You were just talking about Star Wars, so it's a little ambiguous.)

Sorry to disprove anybody, but #10 also has a reprint that came with a Sasquatch toy.
    Yes, I have that one. It's smaller, but has better printing than the normal version.

the Deathstrike issue is worth no more than any other.
    Wow! That really surprises me. It's, like, her first appearance ever as Deathstrike.

- Le Messor
    "How do “Keep off the grass” signs get where they are?"

Yes, the MV Letter" variant was AF #7.
    Anyone have any idea what the difference is?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I've actually been putting segments of my 25+ year collection on sale and have been using MHC as a price guideline.
    Much of this is speculation of how there site works based on how I've been using it. Corrections where I'm wrong are welcome.
    Sale prices are generated automatically by the system based on inventory. An issue with a variant but 50/50 cover may read as "more valuable than a standard issue, but that seems to be because a similar print run was divided between two different versions. As the MHC system calculates by inventory of single issues and they have less of that issue number because it is divided between two versions, it may not get a lower sale price becauyse MHC has fewer issues on hand, so the system does not discount them as much.
    Another quirk on their system, probably also based on print runs, is that reprints have higher "values" than the original issues.
    They will also list UK cover price editions as variants, thus differently and at often at a higher price, even tho many American fans do not want the 15/d versions, etc.
    www.kozzi.us