Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Alpha Flight appearances

Default Some Alpha Flight appearances

At today's comic book convention, I picked up some books with previously uncatalogued Alpha Flight appearances:

Encyclopeadia Deadpoolica: This one-shot features a reprint of the wraparound cover to Deadpool #1, with Sasquatch on it, and a blurb about Langkowski from that issue.

Doctor Strange v3 #2: A cameo for Talisman (Michael)

The Marvel Comics Index #9a: a magazine-sized index to the X-Men, published in 1981 which includes b/w cover art to UXM #109, #120, #121 and #140 on which Alpha Flight appear. Note: this was the "gem" of the day, an absolutely scarce publication that I'm never likely to see again.

The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men v2 #3: another index to the X-Men, published in 1994 which includes a color reproduction of the cover to UXM #140, on which Alpha Flight appears.

Marvel Zombies: The Book of Angels, Demons & various Monstrosities: An OHOTMU-style index of zombie stuff, including small images of Zilla Char, The Dreamqueen and Zombie Guardian. BRAAAAAAINS!!

Universe X #4: Shaman accepts a piece of Creel's body

Universe X Sketchbook: Shaman appears in a sketch, the exact same scene as above

The Wolverine Saga #1: Mac and Heather appear, and the artwork from Alpha Flight's 1st app from UXM #121

Maybe Phil can add these to the listing on this site?

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Ah, the free Big Apple comic convention today was fun. Crowded, but filled with bargains, gee, everyone lowered their prices and the $1 bins were everywhere, the "2 for $1" bins and even "5 for $1" were irresistable and all over the place.

I found a nifty book, a hardcover. It's the 1992 X-Men Annual published by Marvel UK. Cover price was $8.95, going for $20 on eBay, I got mine for $7.50 mint from a stack of mint copies. It's a reprinting of UXM #139 and #140 (Alpha Flight appearances) with some additional [unrelated] material and a mini-poster of the X-Men. Dunno why Brit editors in 1992 were compelled to reprint those two issues from the 80s... Anyway, the book is larger than comic size, so it's nice to read those issues in larger print.

I also got me some other cool stuff, notably a Marvel Legends Sabretooth figure (Giant Man Series), which comes with a reprinted comic from Age of Apocalypse, Astonishing X-Men #2 (featuring Wild Child), paid $5 MIB!

One other cool thing I got was the Amazing Heroes Preview for Summer 1985, trivia: what important Alpha Flight event happened then... answer: of course the creative team switched from Byrne to Mantlo, and there's a 2pg article about it. I'll quote a bit of the article, a paragraph about a book that never got published but would have been very THE COOL: "Marrina will also have the spotlight, as we look at her past and how it relates to that of the Sub-Mariner in an Alpha Flight/Sub-Mariner graphic novel drawn by Mignola. (This novel will also resolve once and for all Namor's future history.)"

Another unpublished book mentioned is an Alpha Flight/X-Men limited series team-up book written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Art Adams. Likely, these two books never saw the light of day due to decreasing sales at the beginning of Mantlo's run, dunno the whole story.

Got some other neato things, like the complete 4-issue run of Age of Apocalypse trade paperbacks for $10ea, (cover price is $30ea) and some nicer copies of books I already had in my collection.

Love,
    rplass

Great to see you found some good ones!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    Another unpublished book mentioned is an Alpha Flight/X-Men limited series team-up book written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Art Adams. Likely, these two books never saw the light of day due to decreasing sales at the beginning of Mantlo's run, dunno the whole story.
    Or was that X-Alpha the one that was published, only with art by Paul Smith?

- Le Messor
    "The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style."
    - Fred Astaire.

Yes, that's probably it. The X-Men / Alpha Flight 2-issue LS "The Gift" was written by Chris Claremont... pencils by Paul Smith and the art is among the greatest I've ever seen for Alpha Flight, anywhere. That series was published in the Fall of 1985, which would make sense to be mentioned in a summer 1985 preview issue. No regrets on Paul Smith, but it would have been amazing too to get Art Adams on that project.

Love,
    rplass

Paul Smith did a great job illustrating AF. If only he had been hired to work on the series after Byrne left!

Images

No regrets on Paul Smith, but it would have been amazing too to get Art Adams on that project.
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr74
    Paul Smith did a great job illustrating AF. If only he had been hired to work on the series after Byrne left!
    Agreed. That mini has, for me, the definitive pic of Heather (when she's on the plane talking to Logan, chewing her glasses); but I would love love to see Art Adams draw an Alpha series -- especially since this one has a follow-up that does have his art.

- Le Messor
    "Forcing the issue is always worth it."
    - Jello Biafra
    Last edited by Le Messor; 10-15-2010 at 04:47 AM.

I had fun at Wizard World Philadelphia yesterday! There were some Alpha Flight artists there and also the incredibly beautiful Marina Sirtis and lots of other celebs. TONS of guys and gals walking around in costume, what a blast! There was this one guy in a garish but excellent Deadpool costume who got quite a bit of attention. He was carrying a big gun of course, and posing for pictures with the gun pointed at the subject's head, even the kids! The kids were begging the Deadpool guy to put the gun against their head and the parents were all, "ok hold still, great picture!!!" Amazing.

I picked up a few comics, too, some of these items are not listed in the appearance forum on this site, so I'll mention them here.

Marvel Fun and Games Magazine #12 from Aug 1980! There's a page with a word search in the shape of Canada and there are little Alpha Flight heads along with Wolverine. This is listed as *unconfirmed* on the site, but I can confirm it.

West Coast Avengers Annual #1 1986 - Puck and Heather appear in flashback to Avengers #272/Alpha Flight #39-40.

Codename: X-Men #1 - Mac and Snowbird appear on some computer monitors

Dark Angel #6 - Published by Marvel UK, a cameo of Guardian (thanks to a little bird who told me about this... quit lurking and join the board already, little bird!!!)

X-Men Universe #1 - a past, present, future comic about the X-Men, published in 1995, with a team pic of the v2 team and an image of the cover of UXM #109 (Weapon Alpha)

Giant Size Captain Marvel #1 - Marrina appears in leviathan form fighting Captain Marvel (remember Avengers #293?)

Marvel Age #78 - preview of Giant Size Captain Marvel #1

ROM #61 and #62 - with cameo appearances from Sasquatch and Snowbird! (thanks again, little bird)

Marvel Superheroes Winter Special #8 - Sasquatch appears in a pin-up

Wolverine Saga #4 - From 1990, some appearances of AF from issues #33 and #34

Universe X Omnibus - Pencil sketch of Shaman, used in a scene in Universe X #4. It's the back of his head but it's still cool.

Quasar #39 - Sasquatch's feet can be seen, an Infinity War crossover, a very tiny cameo

and two comics already mentioned on this site:

Justice Machine #4 from Comico - already mentioned here

Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe (1st printing) - this was the nicest find, Garth Ennis was there too, signing, but I was too late to get into the very very long line. Oh, well, next show I'll snag him.

I also picked up the entire 7 issue Legion Quest cross over (prequel to Age of Apocalypse) for a grand total of $3.50, less than it costs for a new comic these days... as well as some Marvel Age issues with Alpha Flight in them, some BSG75 stuff and better condition copies of comics I already own. Also I ate a cheesesteak sandwich. Yum!

Love,
    rplass

Marvel Fun and Games Magazine #12 from Aug 1980! There's a page with a word search in the shape of Canada and there are little Alpha Flight heads along with Wolverine. This is listed as *unconfirmed* on the site, but I can confirm it.
    Is it original art or copied from an issue?

Codename: X-Men #1 - Mac and Snowbird appear on some computer monitors
    I can't find the existence of this on any site? Has it got any more details in the publishing info box?

Fun and Games: It's definitely original art. The artist isn't credited, but it's not Byrne. I'll scan it in sometime, and I'll upload it to this site.

Codename: X-Men: It says "Marvel Comics: X-Men #1, Vol 1, No 1 July 2000" inside. But it says Codename on the cover. Here is a linkhttp://www.uncannyxmen.net/covers/sh...ename:%20X-Men click on that thumbnail to see a bigger image.

Love,
    rplass

Ahh yeah, the Marvels Comics:X-Men, the publishing company set within the publishing company.

Yeah, listed under M, also a possible Northstar in it.

Yes, Marvels, didn't notice that even though it's on the cover and in the indicia.

That "possible Northstar" appearance is freaky... Now that I read it, I do think it's supposed to be Northstar, except for the miscolored costume... and uh, just weird, man. Okay look, for those of you who have never read this extremely bizarre comic, the reason I'm rattled is because in this alternate universe, among other bizzaranea, Guardian and Snowbird are mutant prisoners and Northstar is a human-flesh eating mutant follower of Dr. Strange, who is also a human-flesh eating mutant and hell-bent on exterminating 6 billion humans. This raises the question of what the human-flesh eating mutants will eat after the humans are all exterminated... Fortunately, Strange decides on exterminating only 3 billion humans, but is himself exterminated when Wolverine (thankfully just a regular mutant, not a human-flesh eating one) nukes all of the human-flesh eating mutants with a nano-bomb, which was created by Iron Man, who Dr. Strange was in the middle of eating right before he was nuked.

Not Mark Millar's finest hour...

Love,
    rplass

Images

Not Mark Millar's finest hour...
    Sounds fairly standard for him.

Didn't realise it was him; that does explain a lot.

- Le Messor
    "Forget the Joneses, I keep up with the Simpsons."

Apparently, he [Millar] explains the issue in a Wizard article... haven't been able to find the issue, don't know which one it is, sure would like to read it...

Love,
    rplass

Hmmm @ http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=163628

The lead story that supposedly has the HofM Wildchild in is written by Fred Van Lente which would sound credible... I may have to search for this tomorrow.

Plus: To remind myself to confirm them;
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=37364
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=171272
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=157489
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=18678