Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Sake of Arguement

Default For the Sake of Arguement

I've got to thinking after reading the Wolverine First Class thread and all the talk about Snowbird. In volume 1 Snowbird seemed to change into a swarm of Mossies or some such. Now did she actually do that ? Should she have been able to do that, shouldn't she have just turned into one mossie?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Very good point. IMO she should have only been able to change into 1 of them.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Default Re: For the Sake of Arguement

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I've got to thinking after reading the Wolverine First Class thread and all the talk about Snowbird. In volume 1 Snowbird seemed to change into a swarm of Mossies or some such. Now did she actually do that ? Should she have been able to do that, shouldn't she have just turned into one mossie?
    When was this? She turned into a swarm of mosquitoes but don't remember her turning into a flock of birds.

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    When was this? She turned into a swarm of mosquitoes but don't remember her turning into a flock of birds.
    Um, Mungi, "Mossie" is Brit slang for "mosquito". Del never mentione anything about birds, except to comment on Snowbird.

But I vote "yes", since, like most insects, mosquitoes could be seen as hive-minded.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Um, Mungi, "Mossie" is Brit slang for "mosquito". Del never mentione anything about birds, except to comment on Snowbird.

But I vote "yes", since, like most insects, mosquitoes could be seen as hive-minded.
    Mossie is also a bird known as a Cape Sparrow, hence my confusion

Mossie is also a bird known as a Cape Sparrow, hence my confusion
    Wasn't aware of that. Thank you, you've taught me something new.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck

I did think about the hive mind aspect of this, but all hives are made up of individuals thinking as one (as is). I'm still not sure she could become lots of different parts going to make a whole.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by "DelBubs
    I did think about the hive mind aspect of this, but all hives are made up of individuals thinking as one (as is). I'm still not sure she could become lots of different parts going to make a whole.
    Hmm, I'll have to give you that one. For me, tho, I still have to say 'yea' for the swarm as compared to the single (tho perhaps she could go both routes). To me it makes more sense, from a conservation perspective (don't get me going on her turning into a whale as when AF and the Avengers were in Atlantis.... I can stretch my mind around her expanding/contracting her molecules to turn into a polar bear [a creature much larger than a human] or something like an owl [smaller than a human], and retain the overall strength and weight of said creatures, but, imo, turning into a whale stretched it TOO much! I mean, where did she get the matter to simulate THAT MUCH mass!!)

Yeah, it would have been very odd for her to turn into one tiny buzzing insect. Fans of the famous Avenger, "The Wasp" may disagree, but it just wouldn't make sense for a demi-goddess with the incredible mystical power of Snowbird to turn into such an ineffective foe as weak and fragile as one teensy weeny bug. I thought about the mosquito swarm thing too, and I remember the scene in AF#1 where Guardian scooped up the swarm of mosquitos that Tundra threw at Snowbird with his plasma funnel. Tundra generated the swarm from his arm, and Snowbird can take the form of the Great Beasts, so she was becoming a form of a Great Beast when she transmorphed into the mossies? Something like that.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Technically she should have turned into a giant mosquito, or the swarm somehow equalled her mass.....

"When she took the form of an animal whose mass and volume were less then that of a human being, she became a human sized version of that animal"

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Snowbird_2.jpg

She didn't all the time, though...Arctic Hare (AF Vol. 1, #eighteen) and recently, a mouse (Wolverine: First Class)...Remember?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I remember, but that still doesn't make it right as I mentioned in the First Class thread. The mass thing has been stated for many years as how her powers work.

I remember, but that still doesn't make it right as I mentioned in the First Class thread. The mass thing has been stated for many years as how her powers work.
    So John Byrne got her powers wrong? Hmmmmmm. Fans tend to think too much about this stuff...In the end, it doesn't matter what the fans think. It all depends on the writers and artists and editors...they could even make up a new power (or several) for her if they wanted to in her next appearance.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

John Bryne himself mentioned the mass thing in an interview similar to Marvel Age. I'll see if I can dig up the scan.

Also yes main writers can make mistakes, and have.

The way I see it she's a god, her powers work the way she wants them to work, in other words: "it's magic, we don't have to explain it." However, it could be she has a connection to the dimension of the Northern Gods and is borrowing energy from there to increase her mass and shunting energy into it to reduce her mass.