Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mondo marvel: alpha news

Default mondo marvel: alpha news

alright fred, heres your chance! i won't be happy unless your at the helm!

"We're probably going to revisit" Alpha Flight, Quesada said, "sometime soon." "We're trying to find the thing that makes them different, and it can't just be that they're the Canadian superheroes."
    from ww philly mondo marvel press confrence.

seriously, haven't we heard this before?

yes, usually right before another launch.

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

I got this quote from Newsarama.
    "Asked about Alpha Flight, Quesada said that they're looking for something that would make that book different than a Canadian version of the Avengers."

When did they ever seem like Avengers? So they want to put a different spin on it? Isn't that what Omega Flight was going to do? Be more mystical.
    As Indy said in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. "I have a bad feeling about this."

Yeah, I'm cynical, but can you blame me?
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

I think that with the surge of AF related crossovers happening these last few months, that I will be taking this to mean that they are trying to find the right members for the team this time around. I think they will bring Snowbird back into the mix, along with the Old favorites like Northstar and Aurora. But they don't know if they should trying creating new characters again as they have in previous volumes. Obvious, since AF fans weren't as happy as expected with the last team, Marvel is trying to recreate the team dynamic yet again. Sadly, they keep missing the point.

JUST BRING BACK THE OLD ALPHA! (+ Heather)

...I am starting to resemble my signature...
    (Average person + Internet Forum + Anonymity = Screaming Douchebag)

"This is why I don't post often, *wink*"

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeO
    "Asked about Alpha Flight, Quesada said that they're looking for something that would make that book different than a Canadian version of the Avengers."
    The whole point to AF was they were supposed to be Canada's answer to the US super teams. They were supposed to be the Avengers or the FF, but with a north-of-the-border spin. The team doesn't need to be differrent, they need good stories and even better characterization. Of course, by killing off the originals, Marvel killed off what was unique about the team, the characters. It wasn't the stories, or even the locale that defined AF, it was the characters' personalities, their interaction and (IMO most of all) their faults.

, I'm cynical, but can you blame me?
    No, because I feel the same. IMO AF will only be a good title if Joe Q puts a decent writer (Fred Van Lente I'm lookin' at you ) on it and then gets the hell away from it.

Well, if they bring back the Flight in some fashion, I'll probably give it a shot. I don't think I can help myself.

I think either Oeming or Fred Van Lente would be good choices to helm a new book.

Wellhe did say Alpha Flight and not Omega Flight so I take that as a good thing.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

Yeah, but they said Alpha Flight for vol.'s 2 & 3 as well.

EDIT: Ah, who am I kidding, I'll be picking it up too.

i was going to say that in my original post, they did say alpha flight, and this sounds more like a alpha than omega thing.

what i would really love to know is where in the creative process this is? in otherwords, has a proposal been accepted and now they are just trying to hash out the "hook", i know when version 2 was launched there were multiple proposals in (i believe that liefield put one in as well) before they settled on seagles. or is the powers that be tweaking what and what not they will allow. i really would love to get a writers view on how a book goes from a idea to a proposal to a ongoing.

if i were a detective, i would say that fred has been handling the characters alot lately (iron man adventures, herc and the upcoming wolverine) he is getting alot of recognition due to his awesome writing in not only wolverine, but herc as well, he has a admitted love for the characters, he pops up here, just like oeming did, and now a possible proposal of his may carry more weight than another writers.

just fishing in the dark, but i am crossing my fingers and toes.

If he does get the chance to write an AF title he's always welcome to come by here for any info he might need about the team, Canada, whatever...

nudge nudge
    wink wink
    say no more
    say no more

Default Re: mondo marvel: alpha news

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    alright fred, heres your chance! i won't be happy unless your at the helm!

"We're probably going to revisit" Alpha Flight, Quesada said, "sometime soon." "We're trying to find the thing that makes them different, and it can't just be that they're the Canadian superheroes."
    from ww philly mondo marvel press confrence.
    Yay...Maybe. Thanks for the news, Varo...

It's probably just another "All New, All Different" approach (which I won't support)...Since many Alphans we'd love to have in our AF line-ups are all pretty much dead/depowered (not that they can't be brought back).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Manikin
    I think that with the surge of AF related crossovers happening these last few months, that I will be taking this to mean that they are trying to find the right members for the team this time around. I think they will bring Snowbird back into the mix, along with the Old favorites like Northstar and Aurora. But they don't know if they should trying creating new characters again as they have in previous volumes. Obvious, since AF fans weren't as happy as expected with the last team, Marvel is trying to recreate the team dynamic yet again. Sadly, they keep missing the point.

JUST BRING BACK THE OLD ALPHA! (+ Heather)

...I am starting to resemble my signature...
    No you're not, Manikin...We're all just a bit peeved at how AF has been treated.

Dana

When did they ever seem like Avengers? So they want to put a different spin on it? Isn't that what Omega Flight was going to do? Be more mystical.
    As Indy said in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. "I have a bad feeling about this."

Not at all, D...You may have noticed a certain theme in many of my posts. I agree about the Avengers comparison...It doesn't fit, it never has...Alpha is like the Avengers as much as they are like the X-Men. Alpha is more (to me) like the FF...A family. They don't have a charter like the Avengers, they're not as internationally mixed as the Avengers has been in the past and they're not involved in mindlessly bad Civil Wars (oh....Did I say that?).

Just look at all the familial relations...Northstar is the twin brother of Aurora (who was the lover of) Walter/Sasquatch, Mac married Heather (who is like a sister to) Elizabeth/Talisman (who is the daughter of ) Michael/Shaman (who raised) Narya/Snowbird (who is also like a sister to) Elizabeth/Talisman, Eugene/Puck (is the father of ) Zuzha/Puck II (who married) MMII (technically, even Lobdell carried on the family tradition...At least he did somethings admirable in Vol. 3). Mac and Heather even helped Logan/Wolverine to find his way back to humanity, gave him a home and a purpose.

Dana

Edited to add the part about Wolvie...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

When did they ever seem like Avengers?
    Mostly, in The Crossing Line saga (in the Avengers; #290s or so? Can't rightly remember, and am house-sitting atm), where the Avengers, the Soviet Super Soldiers and Alpha Flight were portrayed as three different versions of the same team (the techno-leader, the 'god' figure...)

Also the Force Works Omega.

Hey, you axed.

Glad I saw that movie last night, 'coz that line was cool (Holy Trilogy reference there) and I didn't know it was coming.

Can I? Woohoo! I have to blame somebody!
    'Sides, I'm way cynicaller than you!

I will maintain my usual holding pattern; if a new "Alpha Flight" book gets released, I will read a few issues before I decide if I enjoy it.
    Even if the writer / artist comes onto this forum to talk to us, and tells us how much he (playing the odds there, it's almost always a he) enjoyed / was influenced by the original, fights for the Flight, and all the stuff that make others decide the new book is their favourite series evar! before it's even released...

- Le Messor
    "Finagle’s Fourth Law: Once a job is messed up, anything done to improve it makes it worse."