Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: joe fridays week 6

well, he wasn't truly dead, he wound up in box, then limbo, then a girl.

ugggghhhh.......

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    well, he wasn't truly dead, he wound up in box, then limbo, then a girl.

ugggghhhh.......
    Um, I hate to say this, but I have to agree with Powersurge on this one: I think that's the dictionary definition of "convoluted"....
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Yes, but it's all Bill Mantlo's doing.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    I've been enamoured with the look of the original team ever since I saw a pic in which they were gathered around some artist's desk with a motely assortment of other Marvel characters.
    I honestly can't be sure if you're being slightly ironic here;
    you're describing a picture by John Byrne (he was the artist in question).
    It was published as a Bullpen Bulletin, so I imagine we're talking about the same one.

- Le Messor
    "Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder."
    - Washington

Nope, not being ironic at all... unless liking Byrne's AF art better than his AF writing is somehow ironic.
    "You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    unless liking Byrne's AF art better than his AF writing is somehow ironic.

I meant, I couldn't tell if you knew it was Byrne when you posted... but now I think you did. Then again, still going on vague impresssions.

- Le Messor
    "Few people are successful unless a lot of other people want them to be."
    - Charles Brower

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Re: Marvel Adventures Iron Man# 11/Skrulls in Space/Vendetta

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Normally, I would agree and join in the bashing about the treatment of Alpha/Omega Flight. However,
    Let's be clear about this, Allan.
    They may speak for themselves at some other point, but I'm pretty sure Al-Fan and Allan are two different people.

And...

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    They have been treated with so little respect in the last few years, you'd almost think there's some sort of hidden vendetta going on.
    Oh, come on! That's so not true!

I mean, 'hidden'? ...

- Le Messor
    "Fear not the evil men do in the name of evil, but heaven protect us from the evil men do in the name of good."
    Well, Al-Fan and Allan are not the same person, that much I hope we all can agree on. GRJ

In my small Webster's pocket dictionary, "bash" means "to hit (sth) hard." Most of the time, this is (to me) a good thing; in relation to Alpha Flight, it's almost necessary. When the most recent use of "Alpha Flight" is to bump them off without a fight in the pages of New Avengers # 16, bashing is actually required....IMO.

I agree that a well-told story is (or should be) the ultimate goal. A well-told story is a good combination of art and words that has a beginning, middle, and end. As I've said before, I think a lot of people have told some good stories with Alpha Flight characters, including John Byrne. However, I have not (and probably never will) change my opinion about the Mantlo run: it destroyed the team and the comic book so badly that it may not be able to be repaired/restored. It has not been repaired/restored so far, and unless Fred Van Lente is allowed to do it, I don't see who currently working within Marvel would be willing or able to. [A "Skrull-fix" is going to about as ludicrous as anything else that anyone could come up with, at this point.]

I think we all want well-told stories with Alpha Flight characters. I think most of us would agree that Marvel has been spotty, at best, at giving the readers/fans what they want. This is about the harshest "bashing" that anyone's given, and it's the harshest bashing that tptb deserve.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

SECRET INVASION: THOR #1 (of 3)
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE
    Cover by GABRIELE DELL'OTTO

The Skrulls are coming for Asgard, and they've got the gods in their sights! But it's not just the pantheon who stand to suffer the repercussions of the aliens' secret invasion -- the citizens of small-town Broxton, Oklahoma are about to become collateral damage in the attack…and the God of Thunder must defend two cites at once! For a job this big, Thor will have to turn to one of his oldest and closest allies…Beta Ray Bill!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
    ====
    Bill's back

Default Re: Marvel Adventures Iron Man# 11/Skrulls in Space/Vendetta

Whoops! Apologies, Garry (and to Allan)...I don't know how I did that...I know you and Allan (Happy Canuck) are two different folks.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan

Well, Al-Fan and Allan are not the same person, that much I hope we all can agree on. GRJ

In my small Webster's pocket dictionary, "bash" means "to hit (sth) hard." Most of the time, this is (to me) a good thing; in relation to Alpha Flight, it's almost necessary. When the most recent use of "Alpha Flight" is to bump them off without a fight in the pages of New Avengers # 16, bashing is actually required....IMO.

I agree that a well-told story is (or should be) the ultimate goal. A well-told story is a good combination of art and words that has a beginning, middle, and end. As I've said before, I think a lot of people have told some good stories with Alpha Flight characters, including John Byrne. However, I have not (and probably never will) change my opinion about the Mantlo run: it destroyed the team and the comic book so badly that it may not be able to be repaired/restored. It has not been repaired/restored so far, and unless Fred Van Lente is allowed to do it, I don't see who currently working within Marvel would be willing or able to. [A "Skrull-fix" is going to about as ludicrous as anything else that anyone could come up with, at this point.]

I think we all want well-told stories with Alpha Flight characters. I think most of us would agree that Marvel has been spotty, at best, at giving the readers/fans what they want. This is about the harshest "bashing" that anyone's given, and it's the harshest bashing that tptb deserve.

No offence to Garry, but I sure HOPE we're separate people!! I've been calling myself 'Allan' for the last 28 1/2 years! Be quite confusing if I started calling myself something else!!

It's okay, Dana. Just glad not to be pulled into this accidentally!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    SECRET INVASION: THOR #1 (of 3)
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE
    Cover by GABRIELE DELL'OTTO

The Skrulls are coming for Asgard, and they've got the gods in their sights! But it's not just the pantheon who stand to suffer the repercussions of the aliens' secret invasion -- the citizens of small-town Broxton, Oklahoma are about to become collateral damage in the attack…and the God of Thunder must defend two cites at once! For a job this big, Thor will have to turn to one of his oldest and closest allies…Beta Ray Bill!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
    ====
    Bill's back
    ...And so it begins...

Dana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    No offence to Garry, but I sure HOPE we're separate people!! I've been calling myself 'Allan' for the last 28 1/2 years!
    You'll keep slipping up in your mind for the rest of your life, and occasionally marvel at your new name, but eventually, it'll be part of you. You'll even begin to forget the original.

It's other people you have to worry about. Some will refuse to use your new name 'til it's official. Some will refuse to use it at all.
    Then others will hear your original, and wonder what that's all about?

They'll get used to it, though, in the end.
    (Family are the worst!)

- Le Messor
    "It's like a new pair of underwear. At first, it's restrictive and confining, but eventually it becomes a part of you... excuse me."
    - Garth Elgar