Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: joe fridays week 6

Default joe fridays week 6

i wonder how you need to ask this question to get a straight answer?

1) Will Omega Flight make any kind of return, or nothing immediate?

1) I think you'll eventually be seeing Omega Flight in some iteration or another in the near future.

Not to be negative. Marvel loves to pump up and promote new projects. That hes not doing this about anything Alpha/Omega worries me slighty. I can only hope that he doesnt have a clear answer because a creative team is not in place.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Not to be negative. Marvel loves to pump up and promote new projects. That hes not doing this about anything Alpha/Omega worries me slighty. I can only hope that he doesnt have a clear answer because a creative team is not in place.
    Either that or he just despises anything to do with Canadians (Alpha Flight, in particular)...He's roadblocked and built walls to keep AF and lately OF from achieving any real success...

Volume 3 was a mess, he let it happen and then it was cancelled...We then heard rumors of an AF appearance coming up and they show up in New Avengers and are killed off...Vol 4/Omega Flight (Alpha Flight's last chance) was meant to be an on-going, it was hacked down to a mini, which ended with no hope of a full series (even though it was a big seller).

Face it people...JoeQ does not like Alpha Flight (in any form).

Dana

edited for typos
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

It's been obvious for years that Joe Q is a huge fan of She-Hulk and is a true hater of Alpha Flight. You'd have to be incredibly dense to think otherwise.

His second favorite characters all follow the T & A rule, like Ms. Marvel.

He's not a big fan of X-Men either but isn't stupid enough to ruin his biggest seller. He's an Avengers man for sure. We all know a lot of people are big fans of the Flight team and want it on as a continuing but he shoots them down at all costs.

It was his idea, and his alone, to ignore at least 5 solid proposals (including J. Torres') to put Lobdell and his silliness into Alpha Flight (A true Marvel Kids book 'expected' to sell like Avengers). He was sold by Millar and Bendis on bringing AF back but did so very grudgingly, then switched things up to make it Force Works and then can it to show everyone 'who's boss'.

It's obvious several editors want Flight on the schedule, not all that do have quit yet. That guy writing Hercules is obviously angling for AF and so is Koslowski, or OF if they have to.

No guarantees that when Joe Q leaves we'll get AF back but it's a lot more likely, duh.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

What other proposals?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

One of the other proposals was from Mark Millar, himself...But JoeQ didn't like it on it's own (some of his ideas were incorporated into Oeming's Omega Flight proposal, remember?)

Dana

The above writers are some of the best in the industry atm. Attach their name to any book and its gonna sell. Its a true example of his predjudice if hes turning down these guys.

To top it off I would not be surprised even further if he didnt expect Omega to do well at all. When it did he didnt allow it to return simply out of spite. Sadly I dont know when Joe Q will be gone. Hes been riding the coat tails of the success of the movies. With so many more coming out Looks like he will have a meal ticket for quite sometime.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Marvel Adventures Iron Man # 11

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Either that or he just despises anything to do with Canadians (Alpha Flight, in particular)...He's roadblocked and built walls to keep AF and lately OF from achieving any real success...

Volume 3 was a mess, he let it happen and then it was cancelled...We then heard rumors of an AF appearance coming up and they show up in New Avengers and are killed off...Vol 4/Omega Flight (Alpha Flight's last chance) was meant to be an on-going, it was hacked down to a mini, which ended with no hope of a full series (even though it was a big seller).

Face it people...JoeQ does not like Alpha Flight (in any form).

Dana

edited for typos
    Normally, I would agree and join in the bashing about the treatment of Alpha/Omega Flight. However, I got Marvel Adventures Iron Man #11, and Fred Van Lente is allowed/knows how to write Alpha Flight. Not only is Alpha Flight capable despite the bickering, actual members of the original team express their family-like bond. Not like that unbelievable crap Heather espoused about her team being a "family" after she had killed Snowbird, watched Michael disappear with the Talisman tiara, and let the twins self-destruct.

Volume 3 didn't sell well because it was just plain ill-conceived, and it wasn't truly Alpha Flight.

Omega Flight sold well despite (editorial) short-sightedness and an ill-conceived concept.

So, Marvel is capable of publishing a decent Alpha Flight story...when it wants to. I just wish Marvel wanted to a lot more often.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Marvel Adventures Iron Man # 11

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Normally, I would agree and join in the bashing about the treatment of Alpha/Omega Flight. However, I got Marvel Adventures Iron Man #11, and Fred Van Lente is allowed/knows how to write Alpha Flight. Not only is Alpha Flight capable despite the bickering, actual members of the original team express their family-like bond. Not like that unbelievable crap Heather espoused about her team being a "family" after she had killed Snowbird, watched Michael disappear with the Talisman tiara, and let the twins self-destruct.
    Let's be clear about this, Allan...There was no "bashing" in my post...I merely said that JoeQ doesn't like Alpha (this opinion is backed up by evidence from his past and present treatment of AF and his consistant bad-mouthing of them at cons) and won't give them a serious go in a series. Heather's awful decisions during the mantlo run were all the writer's doing...If the character was written more in line with as she was concieved (and more on model), she wouldn't have killed Snowbird or let the team self-destruct the way it did. At least, Byrne's Heather wouldn't have let it happen.

Volume 3 didn't sell well because it was just plain ill-conceived, and it wasn't truly Alpha Flight.

Omega Flight sold well despite (editorial) short-sightedness and an ill-conceived concept.

So, Marvel is capable of publishing a decent Alpha Flight story...when it wants to. I just wish Marvel wanted to a lot more often.
    Volume Two was no essential Alpha Flight either, IMHO. It had many flaws (brain-washings by their own organization, dirty-dealings by their superiors, not letting the heroes be actual heroes, etc...etc...).

Also, IMHO...Marvel at this moment, isn't capable of publishing a decent AF series (a story, yes)...Has anyone seen what they are doing with their current team-books lately? The Marvel Kiddiverse Iron Man story with AF may have been a good one, but in case anyone has forgotten Alpha's other more recent appearances have been far less than inspiring...AF trying to force the Xavier School to hand over it's children, The Juggernaut armor incident, Sasquatch (Bike shorts with belt pouches, sniffing trees...ugh) in Howling Commandos, Northstar's skewering by Wolverine, resurrection and brain-washing a a Hand assassin, Aurora's abuse via Weapon X, Madison Jeffries being F%$#ed over by Weapon X, Sasquatch in Wolverine's "Every furry, clawed mutant is descended from canines" crap (do I need to bring up Wild Child?) and lastly The Collective massacre (not to mention, Mac's replacement with the man used to murder him).

They have been treated with so little respect in the last few years, you'd almost think there's some sort of hidden vendetta going on.

Dana

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    1) I think you'll eventually be seeing Omega Flight in some iteration or another in the near future.
    eventually in the near future

Am I the only one who, that's a contradiction?

Dana, did I know you'd moved to Afghanistan? (Milit'ry posting?)

As has happened before, I agree with most of what you've said...
    'cept:

Normally, I would agree and join in the bashing about the treatment of Alpha/Omega Flight. However,
    Let's be clear about this, Allan.
    They may speak for themselves at some other point, but I'm pretty sure Al-Fan and Allan are two different people.

And...

They have been treated with so little respect in the last few years, you'd almost think there's some sort of hidden vendetta going on.
    Oh, come on! That's so not true!

I mean, 'hidden'? What are you thinking?

- Le Messor
    "Fear not the evil men do in the name of evil, but heaven protect us from the evil men do in the name of good."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Quote Originally Posted by varo
    eventually in the near future

Am I the only one who, that's a contradiction?

Dana, did I know you'd moved to Afghanistan? (Milit'ry posting?)

As has happened before, I agree with most of what you've said...
    'cept:

Normally, I would agree and join in the bashing about the treatment of Alpha/Omega Flight. However,
    Let's be clear about this, Allan.
    They may speak for themselves at some other point, but I'm pretty sure Al-Fan and Allan are two different people.

And...

Oh, come on! That's so not true!

I mean, 'hidden'? What are you thinking?

- Le Messor
    LOL...Well, maybe not so hidden...And yeah...Why am I suddenly from Afghanistan? What the-?!

Dana

Must kill joe
    hmm he could be Skrull.

I personally don't think that Marvel has EVER handled Alpha flight very well... outside of Chris Claremont's work in UXM. The Claremont stories established AF as a force to be reckoned with.

And I definitely think that Byrne himself is given way too much credit. His run on AF series 1 was, in my opinion, terrible. I thought I was buying a team book back then, and I don't even really get to see the team together ('cept for issue 1) until issue 12... and then they kill off the best, the most iconic, and most well developed character... Mac... whose background strongly liniked him to Marvel's most successful character ever... Wolverine!!!

WTF?????

And whats more, is that those were unarguably THE BEST issues of all series 1. Everything that followed was a trainwreck.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am an Alpha Flight fan. I've been enamoured with the look of the original team ever since I saw a pic in which they were gathered around some artists desk with a motely assortment of other Marvel characters. And then the stories in the early UXM solidified my love for the team. In fact, Sasq's first appearnace in the Incredible Hulk, and later in Marvel two-for-one, and then Snowbird's appearance in UXM 140-somethin' were all really cool too.

But everything between those early issues and the recent OF mini has been.... just bizarre. I think that series 2 showed the most depth, had some really interesting ideas, and left some interesting hooks entirely unexplored by the time it got the axe. It was also alot more consistent than vol.1... which was all over the place.

I figure that if anyone at Marvel is hesitant about AF, its probably because they have too much of AF's legacy on its mind. Maybe Claremont simply had the magic touch?

I love to see AF, ahem, "resurrected" in their own series, but I would if die if anyone other than Claremont was used as an example of how the team should be written.

As for the OF min... I really liked... thought it was a good way to restart, but we never got to see where it would lead and what would come out of it.

Has anyone been reading the stuff on Weapon Omega in whatever its called? Hows that been?
    "You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Has anyone been reading the stuff on Weapon Omega in whatever its called? Hows that been?
    It's alright, it's basically a Guardian/USAgent story and everyone else is a supporting character

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    I personally don't think that Marvel has EVER handled Alpha flight very well... outside of Chris Claremont's work in UXM. The Claremont stories established AF as a force to be reckoned with.

And I definitely think that Byrne himself is given way too much credit. His run on AF series 1 was, in my opinion, terrible. I thought I was buying a team book back then, and I don't even really get to see the team together ('cept for issue 1) until issue 12... and then they kill off the best, the most iconic, and most well developed character... Mac... whose background strongly liniked him to Marvel's most successful character ever... Wolverine!!!

WTF?????

And whats more, is that those were unarguably THE BEST issues of all series 1. Everything that followed was a trainwreck.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am an Alpha Flight fan. I've been enamoured with the look of the original team ever since I saw a pic in which they were gathered around some artists desk with a motely assortment of other Marvel characters. And then the stories in the early UXM solidified my love for the team. In fact, Sasq's first appearnace in the Incredible Hulk, and later in Marvel two-for-one, and then Snowbird's appearance in UXM 140-somethin' were all really cool too.

But everything between those early issues and the recent OF mini has been.... just bizarre. I think that series 2 showed the most depth, had some really interesting ideas, and left some interesting hooks entirely unexplored by the time it got the axe. It was also alot more consistent than vol.1... which was all over the place.

I figure that if anyone at Marvel is hesitant about AF, its probably because they have too much of AF's legacy on its mind. Maybe Claremont simply had the magic touch?

I love to see AF, ahem, "resurrected" in their own series, but I would if die if anyone other than Claremont was used as an example of how the team should be written.

As for the OF min... I really liked... thought it was a good way to restart, but we never got to see where it would lead and what would come out of it.

Uh...Your post makes me say...WTF?! John Byrne created AF, not Claremont, John Byrne was the Canadian of the two and he created a couple of the characters before he even started drawing X-Men. How can you even think that Claremont handled them better, when he was co-plotting with Byrne?

Dana