Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Secret Invasion relating to Alpha

does anyone watch the new battlestar galactica series? this is not exactly a new concept.

Well neither was Civil War though

I want to know why the Skrulls are all religious now...They have never been so in the past (at least not to my knowledge).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Either way, if the people on the ship are Skrulls or not, it ruins several years of stories. I'm thinking this is Marvel's way of doing away with a LOT of continuity.

And if Marvel Girl is back, I hope someone has the brains to kill her ASAP. Again.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Well neither was Civil War though

very true.

but this is very bad.

cylons......er.....skrulls that don't know their skrulls. a virus that disables the entire defense network and then the preemptive strike. the religous undertone (god loves you/he loves you) the distrust of not knowing who's a cylon.............er.........skrull and who's a human.

i can understand being influenced by a show, but this is pretty close to plagiarism.

i will overlook it though if the original alpha flight comes walking off a skrull ship.

instant continuity reset.

So far it is unknown how long Black Bolt has been a skrull. That will be revealed in an upcoming Inhumans mini. The 70's marvel heroes stepping of the ship have been hinted at being a mix of real and copies. So we are more than likely going to have some heroes returned to us. I hope the Beast that came off the ship is the real deal. I loathe how they changed his appearence and have not bought an X-Men comic since they changed him. As great as it was to see Luck Cage in the old Power Man get up I hope the one thats been so prominent as of late is not a skrull. Luke Cage has always been a favorite and I love how hes been developed as of late. To me unless handled correctly it would cheapen his development.

I enjoyed the first issue. Unlike most Bendis stories alot happened in the first part of the story. Also we dont know that Invisble Woman has been replaced. We saw a skrull imitate her yes. But they can all do that. Its safe to assume she has. But than why did she walk into the Baxter building as someone else than change to her? She could have just entered on her own.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I want to know why the Skrulls are all religious now...They have never been so in the past (at least not to my knowledge).

Dana
    It was in a sense touched on. They have these ancient prophecies that say they are destined to conquer Earth that come from what is their form of a bible. They have had mystics/priests. They are a warrior culture. Alot of warrior cultures have deities. Its just being dealt with more now as the Skrulls feel there current plans are the culmination of those prophecies.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67

Dana
    Not super religious, but we have seen some of their Gods before

I have been having an ongoing conversation with a few friends and cowrokers regarding the idea that the majority of the Skrulls now on Earth are mindwiped to think they are the real deal, and are sleepers awaiting a trigger word or phrase to activate them. I think it is clear at this point, having read Illuminati #5, Ms Marvel #25, and Captain Marvel #4, that the Skrulls have been collecting DNA of Earths heros over the space of years and years. Using this DNA they have been cloning Super Soldiers with the DNA and powers of the people they are copycating. This theory can be further strengthened by New Avengers #39 when the Echo copy says that she was bred for this moment and does not fear death. Or something to that extent.

I believe that some of the heros coming off the Skrull ship are the real deal, but that most of them are fakes. The differing costumes can be explained by assuming that their costume corellates with the timeframe that each particular hero's DNA was stolen. Considering that Skrulls can Shapeshift, it isn't a stretch to think that these new Skrull warrior/clones have the ability to completely shapshift, not only in appearance, but literally down to the DNA level into their target hero. This can also explain why magic, tech, and feral senses have been unable to tell them apart.

The Skrulls don't have to replace every hero to break Earth's defenses apart. By dropping this ship in the Savageland, they are now causing immense amounts of infighting and distrust. Now no one can even begin to guess who is, and who isn't a Skrull. Unless of course Tony or Reed sudden, inexplicably, develop a last minute form of tech than CAN tell if someone is a Skrull.

Personally, I think Cage is a Skrull for sure and is waiting an activation phrase. His wife and child are Skrulls but his wife knows that she is. The baby is just imprinted on it's parent and blah blah blah. Wonderman is a Skrull and knows it. Captain Marvel is a Skrull. Norman Osborn is a Skrull and knows it. There are a few more than I am unsure about, but I think that this is not the first ship to fall from the skies teeming with Hero/Skrull goodness.

Which is why I am oppimistic that we may still get an AF ship crashlanding in Canada or something. I know that I am just being nieve, but all I can do is hope. There is obvious potential as a stage 2 of the Skrull invasion..."As the world reels from the Skrull attack on the US, the Skrulls start dropping ships all over the world." - Canada included.
    (Average person + Internet Forum + Anonymity = Screaming Douchebag)

"This is why I don't post often, *wink*"

I to think Im being optimistic. But here is a small(possible) pattern I have observed.The "death" of Hawkeye was met with a furious reaction. Although he did go out in a very very cool way. Now hes back. Is his being back a result of the negative reaction or was it the plan all along? Same writer killed our Alphans as we all know. Also met with a furious response. If Bendis is using the invasion to fix that mistake whos to say he wont use it to fix the Alpha Flight mistake. Also not bring up old wounds about the off panel thing. But if the New Avengers found a way to beat the collective. The REAL Alpha Flight sure as hell would have to. Maybe they got owned cause they where fakes. One can only hope.

Well...if a fake AF fell at the hands of the Collective, that means that they were either taken while en route to the Plodex Homeworld, or they were taken at some point before that. If it is before that, then it could possibly mean that Heather and MAc's baby will be written out of continuity, and that just makes me a little upset.

But other than that, if even half of those heroes are real from that ship, it completely undoes tons of storylines that Marvel has put out. Jean is back from the dead -AGAIN-, oh...and what a coincidence, the White Queen is there as well...that completely sucks. Scott's relationship with Emma was the only thing that made Cyclops tolerable in my eyes, because it shifted his personality from butt-kissing dogooder to someone who is more well rounded. Let alone now we get to have yet another round of 'Oh my God, Jean's alive' blech.

Personally, they need to keep that woman dead, she's come back more times than Mac.

And personally, I can't be optimistic at this point. Everything that has happened over almost a decade just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. And now it just seems like they realize how much they've backed themselves into a corner and are just now trying to do a cure all to all of their continuity mistakes.

This reeks of 'Zero Hour', the only difference is that (for me at least) I'm more invested in the Marvel Universe than I ever will be as DC is concerned.

No, this has been a long time coming. I've already been finding that more and more of my pull-list is coming from other companies. I'll probably only continue buying AF related titles from here on out, and give up on Marvel until I hear that either things have improved dramatically, or Joe Q and Bendis have been given a lifetime ban from the company.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

All I know is, when Reed figures out a way to know who is Skrull and who isnt, and we get the Skrull off Earth; the counterstrike for invadin the planet is going to be ginormous. All the combined Earth power, its gods, with a few calls to Silver Surfer and the likes. In the end, Skrull is taking a smack down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic
    [color=red]Well...if a fake AF fell at the hands of the Collective, that means that they were either taken while en route to the Plodex Homeworld, or they were taken at some point before that. If it is before that, then it could possibly mean that Heather and MAc's baby will be written out of continuity, and that just makes me a little upset.

But other than that, if even half of those heroes are real from that ship, it completely undoes tons of storylines that Marvel has put out. Jean is back from the dead -AGAIN-, oh...and what a coincidence, the White Queen is there as well...that completely sucks. Scott's relationship with Emma was the only thing that made Cyclops tolerable in my eyes, because it shifted his personality from butt-kissing dogooder to someone who is more well rounded. Let alone now we get to have yet another round of 'Oh my God, Jean's alive' blech.

Personally, they need to keep that woman dead, she's come back more times than Mac.
    That's actually a bit of a fallacy...Jean has only really died twice and come back twice from death (both times via the Phoenix force). She died with Logan when they fell into the sun (she used the P force to resurrect them both) and she died again when Xorn/Magneto gave her a stroke(the Phoenix force resurrected her once again). Jean's currently alive.

Mac should have died the first time in the explosion of his suit (Byrne's story should not have been undone, especially undone again and again and again)....He also died on Wolverine's claws years ago while training him...Department H cloned a new body for him and brought him back (AF, Vol 2), He died again thanks to Department H (when they shot him into orbit and he crashed in Antarctica, where Walter found him and somehow revived him...AF, Vol 2 again)...He "died" again when he was killed by the crazed scientist who was stalking Heather (X-Men Unlimited), Archangel's healing blood brought him back. Oh yeah...He's dead again.

Mac beats Jean in deaths and comebacks.

Dana

You know after Secret Invasion, the only real Mac incident was when he got teleported to Jupiter and the Wolverine thing (though I never took it as he died but more critically injured)
    Mac being shot down and killed by the crazed scientist is going turn out to be a Skrull as is the Mac that Pointer killed. I also have high suspicions that Walt is a Skrull. I think he would be the first Alpha target since he did fight Super Skrull way back in vol1.
    He didnt recruit the other Alphans in vol3 cuz he didnt know how to respond to them so he in turn recruited people that didnt know him and got Nemesis controlled by an implant.
    Who do I trust
    It aint Walt

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    You know after Secret Invasion, the only real Mac incident was when he got teleported to Jupiter and the Wolverine thing (though I never took it as he died but more critically injured)
    Mac being shot down and killed by the crazed scientist is going turn out to be a Skrull as is the Mac that Pointer killed. I also have high suspicions that Walt is a Skrull. I think he would be the first Alpha target since he did fight Super Skrull way back in vol1.
    He didnt recruit the other Alphans in vol3 cuz he didnt know how to respond to them so he in turn recruited people that didnt know him and got Nemesis controlled by an implant.
    Who do I trust
    It aint Walt
    Interesting theory...I just doubt any Alpha-related folks are going to be involved in the Skullishness.

Maybe Mac really died when his suit blew up and the one that returned and was found in Roxxon (later in Vol. 1) was a Skrull....Nah!

Dana