Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change is in the Wind

Default Change is in the Wind

I'm am in the early stages of a MAJOR overhaul to the entire AlphaFlight.net community. Now is the time to tell me what you want to see, what you want different/improved/changed/added/removed. What kind of functionality you would like to see on the forum and on the main site ect. If all goes well as I'm planning things are gonna be different ...eventually

Ben

Heather Hudson Fan First Flight

I'd definitely like to see a section devoted to collectibles/memorabilia with as many pictures as possible— everything from action figures to busts to tee-shirts to Hero-clix, and perhaps a section on television/video game appearances.

I'm aware all these things have been discussed/explored, but it'd be nice to have a separate, well-maintained area.

That's all I got for now. Oh yeah, maybe a chat room. I rarely use them, but it is a nice feature to have.

- Smikes
    Jolson did it all first,
    Crosby jazzed it up,
    Sinatra perfected it.

Some stuff I've mentioned previously:
    - take out the guestbook
    - maintain a mobile-phone friendly version of the site (without graphical navigation buttons, no navigation column on the left side, etc.) I read this site mostly from my mobile phone, that's why. It's all spazzy on the phone. It works but it is misaligned everywhere.

In general, there are three separate websites: main page, forums and alphanex. There are some redundancies between the main page and forum: example: "Links" on both the forums and main page, "Guest appearances" in both the main page and forum section, and "News" is creeping into the forums away from the main page. Get rid of those redundancies.

I prefer Official News to be on the main page. Let us peons post in the "Alpha News" section of the forum, and let the admins post on the Main Page.

A FAQ would be nice on the main page also. OK

Otherwise yeah, I pretty much like the features on the forum just fine. The one thing I don't like is that some users use a giant image in their sig... can that be limited in height?

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Yeah take out the guestbook, I clicked it the other day to see what people have wrote....well... that certainly was interesting

Yes, the guestbook has become a collection of spam. I'll be dealing with it one way or an other.

Ben

For the forum can something alert you if you have a private message sent to you? Sometimes I would get a pop up here saying you have one, but I just checked my mailbox today and I missed a lot of messages I wish I didn't.

I always got amessage in my real email stating I got a PM

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    Really? I never had that before

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    Really? I never had that before
    I get them too. Maybe you didn't check the box to receive emails for PM's? Check your profile page and see if that's the problem.

Just checked:
    -Notify on new Private Message
    -Pop up window on new Private Message: Some templates may open a new window to inform you when new private messages arrive.

Were both on "yes"

What browser do you use, Mungi? I know some don't work well with those. Also, check your pop-up blocker, it might be stopping you from getting the pop-ups.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    What browser do you use, Mungi? I know some don't work well with those. Also, check your pop-up blocker, it might be stopping you from getting the pop-ups.
    Yeah I allowed pop ups here, and I use Explorer

How about an addon to Alphanex that shows various costumes of each of the characters. Some fans may have only been attached to a certain era of Alpha. To be able to see the various costumes of each of the characters could be a nice add on. I myself horde online images and would be happy to contribute to this.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I've been figuring out lately that when I go to the portal, and then go to 'View messages since you last got here' (a great service! Keep that one!), I look to the left of all the threads and there are maple leafs in circles. Okay, I figured that part out ages ago.
    The new thing is that if they're flashing, it means one thing, if they're spinning it means something else.

But I don't know what?
    Are they supposed to tell me which ones I'm watching? (It doesn't seem like they do, I've checked).

Where's the legend? Ah, yes, that's the question!

- Le Messor
    "Fear most of all to be in error."
    - Kierkegaard, quoting Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    I've been figuring out lately that when I go to the portal, and then go to 'View messages since you last got here' (a great service! Keep that one!), I look to the left of all the threads and there are maple leafs in circles. Okay, I figured that part out ages ago.
    The new thing is that if they're flashing, it means one thing, if they're spinning it means something else.

But I don't know what?
    Are they supposed to tell me which ones I'm watching? (It doesn't seem like they do, I've checked).

Where's the legend? Ah, yes, that's the question!

- Le Messor
    "Fear most of all to be in error."
    - Kierkegaard, quoting Socrates
    The legend is there. When you go into the forum section "alpha news" scroll to the very bottom for the legend.