Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbird in Incredible Hercules #117???

I picked it up...Marvelous stuff. I really enjoyed Narya's reaction to Pointer and her interaction with Herc.

I have to wonder about the "My marriage is over" comment, though...She must mean either the original one to Douglas Thompson(which tied her more to the human world) or the recent one to Yukon Jack (which also tied her down...Although, I thought that is was the temporal copy-Snowbird that married him)...I just don't know which one the writer was referring to.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I have to wonder about the "My marriage is over" comment, though...She must mean either the original one to Douglas Thompson(which tied her more to the human world) or the recent one to Yukon Jack (which also tied her down...Although, I thought that is was the temporal copy-Snowbird that married him)...I just don't know which one the writer was referring to.
    I commented on my opinion on this matter before, but it never hurts to reiterate: I think she meant her "marriage" to mean her loyalty to whatever version of the team was mucking around. I believe she meant it to mean that any feelings of loyalty she had to Alpha Flight died when Pointer killed Alpha Flight, thus her "marriage" to the team was over, she was a free agent again, and she had no intention of going back (also means that, should Alpha Flight - more especially Mac and Shaman - be revived, then she would probably be one of the first ones to join up)
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    I commented on my opinion on this matter before, but it never hurts to reiterate: I think she meant her "marriage" to mean her loyalty to whatever version of the team was mucking around. I believe she meant it to mean that any feelings of loyalty she had to Alpha Flight died when Pointer killed Alpha Flight, thus her "marriage" to the team was over, she was a free agent again, and she had no intention of going back (also means that, should Alpha Flight - more especially Mac and Shaman - be revived, then she would probably be one of the first ones to join up)
    Sorry, Allan...I did see your comment, but I feel she's being a bit more direct in the wording about her marriage. I just don't feel she was referring to being "married" to Alpha Flight...At least, to me...It didn't read that way.

Dana

yeah, i think she was refering to her marriage as well. van lente knows the history of these characters all to well for it to be a subtle reference. knowing his love for old school alpha, i think she's refering to her marriage to doug thompson, not yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    yeah, i think she was refering to her marriage as well. van lente knows the history of these characters all to well for it to be a subtle reference. knowing his love for old school alpha, i think she's refering to her marriage to doug thompson, not yukon.
    That's what I was thinking, but with her new (and convoluted) marriage history (Thanks a lot, Scott L... )...You never know.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    That's what I was thinking, but with her new (and convoluted) marriage history (Thanks a lot, Scott L... )...You never know.

Dana
    Someone should try to get ahold of Van Lente and ask him to clarify this. For Narya to bring up her marriage to Thompson so cavalarly, when it hasn't been touched on since Mantlo killed off both Snowbird and Thompson back in the '80's, seems to be too much of a side-note for me. Also, if Van Lente is such a lover of old school Alpha, then he'd know that Thompson and their infant son were transported to the realm of the gods as well, therefore, her marriage to him WOULDN'T be over.

And if she's referring to her clone's temporal copy's marriage to Yukon Jack... well, "convoluted" doesn't say enough.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Snowbird's marriage

One of the main reasons why I like IH# 117 is because of the smart way Snowbird was handled: as VARO mentioned on NEWSARAMA, Snowbird said exactly what she should have said to Pointer, did exactly what she should have done to him, and showed heroic-and-aloof restraint because she had every right to avenge her fallen comrades.

Moreover, her marriage reference can be interpreted at least two different ways (Allan thought of another): (1) Doug Thompson (which is more "established" in Alpha Flight continuity), or (2) Yukon Jack (for people who believe that volume 3 actually happened; I am not one of those people). Although I may be the lone voice for this, I don't think asking for/getting "clarification" will settle it, anyway, and the debate will go on. I like that people can believe whichever marriage they want to believe it means.

The God-Squad looks like it's being set up, right from the start. I don't think the "Uncle Hodiak" line was a mistake (isn't Hodiak Snowbird's grandfather?) I don't know how Hodiak has power to recind Snowbird's limitation, but if he does why hasn't he done it before now? I'm interested to find out. Even if Hodiak or Snowbird turn out to be Skrulls (I really hope not, though), Snowbird gave Pointer exactly what he deserved.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Snowbird's marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    One of the main reasons why I like IH# 117 is because of the smart way Snowbird was handled: as VARO mentioned on NEWSARAMA, Snowbird said exactly what she should have said to Pointer, did exactly what she should have done to him, and showed heroic-and-aloof restraint because she had every right to avenge her fallen comrades.

Moreover, her marriage reference can be interpreted at least two different ways (Allan thought of another): (1) Doug Thompson (which is more "established" in Alpha Flight continuity), or (2) Yukon Jack (for people who believe that volume 3 actually happened; I am not one of those people). Although I may be the lone voice for this, I don't think asking for/getting "clarification" will settle it, anyway, and the debate will go on. I like that people can believe whichever marriage they want to believe it means.

The God-Squad looks like it's being set up, right from the start. I don't think the "Uncle Hodiak" line was a mistake (isn't Hodiak Snowbird's grandfather?) I don't know how Hodiak has power to recind Snowbird's limitation, but if he does why hasn't he done it before now? I'm interested to find out. Even if Hodiak or Snowbird turn out to be Skrulls (I really hope not, though), Snowbird gave Pointer exactly what he deserved.
    On the rescinding of the limitation and why Hodiak didn't do it before - it keeps Hodiak in Canada, where she needs to be to fight the Great Beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    On the rescinding of the limitation and why Hodiak didn't do it before - it keeps Hodiak in Canada, where she needs to be to fight the Great Beasts.
    But they both were in the States when the Gods gathered though

After all, it was a god meeting, so where they were doesn't matter so much. So Hodiak was there, but Nelvanna et al weren't, so to me, no big continuity problem.

I'm thinking Snowbird was referencing Yukon Jack as in 'not married', one more attempt to erase v.3 from history. She's no "temporal copy", as Hodiak would only access the one and only Narya.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The temporal copy Snowbird married Yukon Jack, not the real Snowbird (revealed in All-New OHOTMU A-Z 12)

Then Fred's reference must be Doug Thompson. Not the team.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Huh? I'm guessing you meant Narya, not Hodiak...

Hodiak can (theoretically) appear anywhere, but only in spirit form, since he and the other Northern Gods are trapped in another dimension by the spell cast by Tundra thousands of years ago.

Snowbird was only bound to Canada's borders due to a spell cast at her birth by Shaman...He had to bind her to the Earth (or she wouldn't have had a physical form), but he mistakenly bound her to Canada only. The Northern Gods have no real hold on Narya, she can do and has done as she pleases...They can inflict her with pain spiritually, but that's about it.

She is her own person and she chooses to serve her godly family.

Dana

Huh? I'm guessing you meant Narya, not Hodiak...

Hodiak can (theoretically) appear anywhere, but only in spirit form, since he and the other Northern Gods are trapped in another dimension by the spell cast by Tundra thousands of years ago.

Snowbird was only bound to Canada's borders due to a spell cast at her birth by Shaman...He had to bind her to the Earth (or she wouldn't have had a physical form), but he mistakenly bound her to Canada only. The Northern Gods have no real hold on Narya, she can do and has done as she pleases...They can inflict her with pain spiritually, but that's about it.

She is her own person and she chooses to serve her godly family.

Dana
    Yes, I meant Narya. And you are mostly right with the rest of what you are saying - what I am saying is that if Hodiak has just demonstrated the power to free her Shaman's spell which bound her to Canada, then probably the reason he didn't do it before is because he chose not to. He wanted her where she needed to be if the Great Beasts got loose. He had no other control over her, as you say, but he didn't have to correct the spell which kept her from wandering off.