Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbird in Incredible Hercules #117???

There's one very very minor thing that I really liked in this issue, and forgive me for threadjacking this from the writer's unexpected and serendipitous posts: the artwork on Pointer's costume. With two recent artists on the MCP series and a third now drawing the Ultimate version of the costume, this fourth version is really something. The thing that particularly impressed me was how the red portion of the costume is colored in a mutedly shaded blue when viewed from underwater. That really blew me away. It's a very very minor thing but it just sort of popped out of the page for me and made me appreciate much of the minute details of the art, flipping back and forth through the pages (yes ignoring the writing, sorry Fred) and just appreciating the technique, coloring, layout, shading, inks, everything, very impressive.

OK back to the writing: Never having read the title, I was concerned it would be too heavy to read. I was dreading the overblown royal/godspeak language of thees and thous that has always turned me off to characters like Hercules and Thor and even Namor. Byrne did it right with the Northern Gods and with Snowbird, but it can be easily mishandled in a corny and unreadable way. Fred v.Lente got it right, too. I was happily surprised to find a mixture of realistic solemnity and comic moments in the dialogue. I also liked how this was the set-up book for the rest of the arc: setting up the team, introducing the players and purpose of the story. I felt as if the writer had planned out the arc and put some real thought into the pacing, development and presentation of the story. It made me feel respected as a reader that he took the time to do all that. I closed the cover with a smile, eager to read the next issue.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Mr. Van Lente, if you want to write the ongoing Omega Flight or Alpha Flight, we'll certainly back you!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Herc does rock as it has joined my short list of stuff I collect.

Thank you for clearing up the connundrum about the "marriage" quip, Fred, it's greatly appreciated. Just as appreciated as your handling of one of our most beloved characters. The interaction between Narya and Pointer was dramatic to the point of passing on what many an Alpha fan has been wanting to (and has) said, and the interaction between Narya and Hercules (from what I've seen - sadly, I haven't been able to purchase the issue yet) were all handled quite tactfully. Also, your willingness to admit your mistakes in regards to your research in the characters is refreshing. Thank you again for a POSITIVE take on an Alpha Flight character, one that we have been in desperate need of for quite some time.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

thanks for your input fred, i have loved your use of the alpha characters and really hope, that if alpha is re-launched, your at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    thanks for your input fred, i have loved your use of the alpha characters and really hope, that if alpha is re-launched, your at the helm.
    Thanks for the kind words, all!

My only hesitation to push for an AF series is that I've spent all of five days in Canada... (And most of what I learned has gone into Wolverine: First Class #5...)

Although I've always wanted to do that "train across the country" thing their rail system offers... Now, it would be tax-deductible!

Having you posting here is one of the best things that have happened to this board, in my humble opinion.

I only have thankful words for you and what you are doing with Snowbird and AF Fred. Alpha Flight has been badly handed by Marvel since volume 2 and, personally, I was starting to lose hope. Your work has changed that and now I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your characterization of Snowbird couldn't be better and her reaction towards Pointer is what we all were expecting since New Avengers 16. I hadn't paid attention to Hercules till now (though the reviews were very positice since you arrived) but from now on I will certainly will. At least, unless Snowbird is revealed to be a Skrull ;P

One more vote for you becoming AF's new writer. Where can we write???
    With Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, Talisman, Marrina, Box and Diamond Lil still alive and powered I'm sure you could come up with a good idea to rejoin the team. Couldn't you?

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Ease up on the guy, he's already writing, what? 3 series? But it shows that there are writers who love and respect the characters. Oeming and Van Lente are proof of that. The interest IS there. Omega Flight sold well, it's Marvel editorial that keeps dropping the ball.

Fred, I'm loving Herc right now, so much fun and seeing the gods in modern seetings is great. Have you had the chance to read Neil Gaiman's American Gods? A really good book that show us where all the displaced "pagan" gods are up to in a modern setting.

Also loving the hell out of Wolverine:First Class. Your bringing me back to the good old Chris Claremont days. And the art is something else. Also, is that an Alan Davis cover for issue #4? Looks fantastic. And I can't wait for the Alpha Flight story coming up. Will it be a done in one or a two-parter?

EDIT: Forgot to mention how overjoyed I was to see Snowy. THANK-YOU!
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

He's got my vote! Terrific job, sir, keep it up!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeO
    Also loving the hell out of Wolverine:First Class. Your bringing me back to the good old Chris Claremont days. And the art is something else. Also, is that an Alan Davis cover for issue #4? Looks fantastic. And I can't wait for the Alpha Flight story coming up. Will it be a done in one or a two-parter?

EDIT: Forgot to mention how overjoyed I was to see Snowy. THANK-YOU!
    My pleasure! I was happy to see her too...

Yup, that's Alan on WFC #4 ... and the WFC #5 is a done-in-one, a flashback to the early days of the Flight, pre-Weapon Alpha...

Yup, that's Alan on WFC #4 ... and the WFC #5 is a done-in-one, a flashback to the early days of the Flight, pre-Weapon Alpha...

Wow!
    Looking forward to that one!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Van Lente

My original concept was that Hodiak would (in his godlike way) eliminate all the cloned/time-travel displaced versions of Snowbird in favor of a completely reincarnated Narya that would grow very rapidly from infancy (a few years every few pages) throughout the iHerc "Sacred Invasion" arc.

Ultimately, the Powers That Be decided that idea was a tad too complicated for this arc, and I think, now having done almost all of it, they were right.

However, it would have resolved a lot of the issues you raise on this thread, that I myself share.
    see, things like this and other such creative decisions in the past that have been squashed by the powers that be at marvel (sasquatch supposed to find gambit) leave me no hope that alpha will ever be a mainstream successful title again. its as if they pick and choose what and who will be popular and who will not be, they take the time to push second tier characters like luke cage and ms. marvel, yet they don't allow other titles (such as omega, which was a ongoing, then a mini) to succeed. sorry for the pessimism but i grow more and more discouraged.

We are not the only ones enjoying the title and the return of fan-favourite Snowbird

Marvel Comics has announced a second printing for Incredible Hercules #117, a Secret Invasion tie-in issue.

The new printing has a cover featuring the interior art of Rafa Sandoval and will be in stores on July 2.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...ercules117.htm

Wow, a second printing with new cover art! How about a new classic-Alpha series? Are you paying attention, Marvel?

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Van Lente

My original concept was that Hodiak would (in his godlike way) eliminate all the cloned/time-travel displaced versions of Snowbird in favor of a completely reincarnated Narya that would grow very rapidly from infancy (a few years every few pages) throughout the iHerc "Sacred Invasion" arc.

Ultimately, the Powers That Be decided that idea was a tad too complicated for this arc, and I think, now having done almost all of it, they were right.

However, it would have resolved a lot of the issues you raise on this thread, that I myself share.
    see, things like this and other such creative decisions in the past that have been squashed by the powers that be at marvel (sasquatch supposed to find gambit) leave me no hope that alpha will ever be a mainstream successful title again. its as if they pick and choose what and who will be popular and who will not be, they take the time to push second tier characters like luke cage and ms. marvel, yet they don't allow other titles (such as omega, which was a ongoing, then a mini) to succeed. sorry for the pessimism but i grow more and more discouraged.
    But the reason that Cage and Spider-Woman have gotten such a push is because Bendis adores those characters. Get someone with Bendis's pull to suggest an Alpha Flight title and willing to write it then I think we'd be seeing one.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52