Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing the unfixable

Default Fixing the unfixable

What disappointments would one have to correct if starting a new series since everyone forgets what happens after vol2.
    -what happened to AF bodies after NA
    -what happened between the plodex planet and now
    -were is Madison, Diamond Lil, Wildchild
    -reforming the twins back into Canada
    -non Canadians on the team

anything else? any danglers from vol1 and 2 are needed as well like

-Shamans grandfathers skull
    -Woodgod?

Wow...Kyle is really gone...There's probably no coming back for him now. He's thoroughly a monster (which is how he originally was, which I liked). He doesn't seem as intelligent as he used to be, though.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Where are the Legacies, and what does 'Legacy' mean?
    Where is Box now?
    Where are Feedback, Persuasion, Goblyn, Pathway, Witchfire?
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Where are the Legacies, and what does 'Legacy' mean?
    Legacy case was "offspring from superhuman parents." Basically if your parents had superhuman powers, you were a legacy. That's it sadly

It is my belief that Volume 3 AF was what killed AF. Written by someone who doesn't take the team seriously. It ends like a damn sitcom and breaks the fouth wall in a stupifying manner.

Temporal copies...

It ends by saying that Nemesis and Centenial die side by side but does not give any reference to the time that it happens. Are we to assume that they are now dead? What happened to Scell?
    (Average person + Internet Forum + Anonymity = Screaming Douchebag)

"This is why I don't post often, *wink*"

Quote Originally Posted by Manikin
    It ends by saying that Nemesis and Centenial die side by side but does not give any reference to the time that it happens. Are we to assume that they are now dead?
    Think so, as Puck II and Major Mapleleaf have a kid currently, and Yukon Jack married Snowbird so yeah they might very well be dead.

YJ married Temporal copy Snowbird, not the real Snowbird...BTW...Any future AF/OF writer could ignore all of this (Babies, Nemesis being dead, etc...), you know?

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    YJ married Temporal copy Snowbird, not the real Snowbird...BTW...Any future AF/OF writer could ignore all of this (Babies, Nemesis being dead, etc...), you know?
    Yeah I know, they make a reference to the Snowbird temporal copy vanishing as well in the handbooks.

That is very true. It should be a rule that if the writer breaks the fourth wall in a comic that the effects should be tossed out the window. It also could easily be explained that Nemesis didn't actually die, but just decided to be buried with Centennial as a sign of her love for him. She is virtual immortal and doesn't age after all, why would she suddenly die?

I just hate the idea of that kind of death for such a great character.
    (Average person + Internet Forum + Anonymity = Screaming Douchebag)

"This is why I don't post often, *wink*"

Quote Originally Posted by King Mungi
    Yeah I know, they make a reference to the Snowbird temporal copy vanishing as well in the handbooks.
    Maybe that's why Jack went mad...His wife just vanishing for no apparent reason. Unless (and this is just speculation)...Snowbird ran into her other self and caused the copy to vanish, the real Narya rejected YJ and then he went nuts?

Dana

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Glad I get a chance to think through what I want to say...

As more of a skeptic than most, I doubt MARVEL has any sincere intention of producing a good comic book with the Alpha Flight characters,
    the reason being MARVEL did too good a job of undermining the team and the comic in the mid-80's, so much so that a lot of comic readers automatically associate Alpha (and now Omega) Flight with not being worthwhile characters.

We know that's not true, but MARVEL did it's hit-job too well.

Still, I remember Walt Simonson and Archie Goodwin revitalizing Manhunter in the 70's and still to this day it's one of the best runs ever. Someone can do it with Alpha Flight, if only MARVEL believed in these characters as much as they do some of the others that they are investing heavily in.

WARNING: This will not sit well with continuity-adherents and Volume 3 fans. MARVEL should do something unique---well, radical---with the bad continuity it has saddled Alpha Flight with. Just find a way to make all of that inane-ness disappear like a bad dream. There are characters in the MU who could do it, and characters with the motivation and mean-spiritedness to bring back the real original Alphans* just to torment them. Mephisto, Nightmare, and DreamQueen come immediately to mind.

* [James, Heather, Michael, Judd make it back as heroes and Snowbird, Sasquatch, Elizabeth, the twins join them as the real Alpha Flight, with Arachne, U.S.Agent, and Shroud as featured guest-stars. No Yukon Jack (unless he is a villain not related in anyway to Snowbird), no Centennial, no V3 Nemesis, no lost-in-space temporal copies; if Flex, Murmur, Ghost Girl, and Flinch can't have real lives, very brief mention]

I doubt it will ever happen, though.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I agree with you, Garry...It's too bad that Q and Co have so little faith in Alpha and other B-list/C-list/D-list characters that they continually tinker with them, make them kewl, kill them, reinvent them, etc...Without bringing them back to who they really are and work from there.

Even the characters they are investing most of their time in now (Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America, even the original Spider-Woman, etc...), they are screwing them up so much and removing them so far from their core they will all need to be retooled/Reinvented down the road, as well (or in Spidey's case...Screwed with more).

I'm all for character growth, character-building...But not when it breaks the core of who and what they are...That's when they cease to be completely. Writers should be using the characters to tell stories (and have guidlines on what they can and can't do to said characters), not distort them to fit their stories. Editors (including the Q) should also be protecting the characters, making sure the characters stay on model (and I don't mean letting them become stagnant or come to a stand-still and God-forbid revert them to their teenaged status quo).

We as real people, for example...Our personalities don't change that much as we grow, age or because of day-to-day circumstances, why should Iron Man go from loyal friend to back-stabbing Government Lackey, just to suit a story? It makes absolutely no sense.

Okay...Rant ended...

Dana :P

I'm gonna have to agree with Dana here. I cannot think of one character/team in the Marvel Universe that has followed a natural path to get to where it is now. Most are unrecognisable from how they began. John Byrnes run on AF to me showed a natural progression. Anything else after that was unnatural IMHO.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I agree with Dana and Del. (Big shocker there!)

I've found that characters constantly changing direction just makes them hard to follow. There's a lot of creators who think they're good because they're not 'slaves to continuity'.
    They don't seem to get that we've invested a lot of emotion (as well as money) into specific characters, and if they come along and write something completely different that ignores everything we've learned, it's a betrayal of the fans as well as the characters. (I've seen it argued that such a betrayal is impossible; obviously I don't agree.)

- Le Messor
    Bernard Black: Excuse me, there seems to be some mistake. I bought some popcorn and a drink and now I have no money left.
    Cashier: That's how much it costs.
    Bernard: What is it, magic popcorn? Does it produce some kind of dizzying high?