Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sojourn!, the other Great Beast?

Default Sojourn!, the other Great Beast?

After rereading Over the Edge #2, I keep wondering was the demon giant Sojourn meant to be another Great Beast?

Shaman even refers to him as Great Beast, and after defeating him comments, "Go back, join your brethern in the Realm of the Beasts"

Was he meant to be one of the REAL Great Beasts? Or one of the Great Beast of Antiquity?

Thoughts? and if no one knows who I'm talking about, I can post scans if need be

Thoughts? and if no one knows who I'm talking about, I can post scans if need be
    I have no idea what your talking about King, so some pics would help too.

I don't think the beast's name is: Sojourn. A sojourn is a short stay somewhere. Shaman was saying he'd make the beast regret coming to Earth's plane of existence.
    Enough of being pedantic. Where is this story from, and what was it about? I've never seen this one. When was it published?
    It does seem that he was meant to be another Great Beast, but obviously not one as powerful as the original Byrne ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I don't think the beast's name is: Sojourn. A sojourn is a short stay somewhere. Shaman was saying he'd make the beast regret coming to Earth's plane of existence.

Enough of being pedantic.
    Funny I thought there was a comma before the Sojourn which implied that was his name...but when I looked again? there was no comma

Even added him in the alphanex under Sojourn...dur, I'll have to correct it then.

Where is this story from, and what was it about? I've never seen this one. When was it published?
    From Over the Edge #2 [Dec, 1995] and it's mostly about Dr.Strange stopping Silver Dagger and his assassins..this happens after he defeats the beast and that's all we see of Shaman in the whole book

1. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...heEdgePg18.jpg

It does seem that he was meant to be another Great Beast, but obviously not one as powerful as the original Byrne ones.
    Most likely another Great Beast of Antiquity like in Wolverine #110

Yeah, when I read that issue, I saw the phrase, "Great Beast" and thought the same thing. But, I don't think the writer really meant "Great Beast" in the way Alpha Flight fans would mean it. You would think that he would do a little research on Alpha Flight first before using Shaman.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Can we safely assume he may just be another Great Beast of Antiquity? [Their different from the Byrne Great Beasts]

Well, I agree that they're different than the Byrne Great Beasts but I don't know what the "Great Beasts of Antiquity" are. I think it's antiquity with a lowercase a. Just some big old beasty things.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    Well, I agree that they're different than the Byrne Great Beasts but I don't know what the "Great Beasts of Antiquity" are. I think it's antiquity with a lowercase a. Just some big old beasty things.

Love,
    rplass
    Pretty sure it was with a lower case a, but gave it uppercase to seperate the two factions

In Wolverine #110, Shaman comments "It warned me that one of the Great Beasts of antiquity had recently awakened"

I would agree it's of antiquity. He/she was taken down far too easily though.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

My vote's for not one of THE Great Beasts.

This one's just an okay beast.

We know all their names and appearances, and Sojourn (if that's it's real name) is not on any of our lists.
    (Sorry, no research, I'm away from my collection at the mo'.)

- Le Messor
    "If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead?"
    - book title

An interesting thread, though not one I am knowledgeable enough to comment on further.

KM, excellent scans, as per usual!
    Greatful, I am!
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    My vote's for not one of THE Great Beasts.

This one's just an okay beast.

We know all their names and appearances,
    Do we?...I thought Byrne indicated that there were many beasts in ancient times and the seven remaining were only the survivors of that race (Alpha Flight Vol 1, issue 6, page 11...I think)? The beasts raised by Mauvais (in Wolverine#172) were meant to be beasts that had been killed in ancient times (the Beasts of Antiquity and the Great Beasts are related IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    and Sojourn (if that's it's real name)is not on any of our lists.
    (Sorry, no research, I'm away from my collection at the mo'.)

- Le Messor
    "If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead?"
    - book title
    It isn't his name...Shaman was only indicating that the Beast's journey to earth would be a short one by using the term sojourn.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Do we?...I thought Byrne indicated that there were many beasts in ancient times and the seven remaining were only the survivors of that race (Alpha Flight Vol 1, issue 6, page 11...I think)? The beasts raised by Mauvais (in Wolverine#172) were meant to be beasts that had been killed in ancient times (the Beasts of Antiquity and the Great Beasts are related IMHO).
    Here's some scans..

Alpha Flight #6 [Vol.1]
    It didn't say those seven were the survivors though

1.http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...light06-11.jpg

Wolverine #172
    Just posting the scans to see what your talking about.

1. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...rine172-09.jpg

I think when Sarcee (Native American) legend refers to the Great Beasts, it is with the 7 we know of in mind. There were obviously many lesser Beasts and creatures that inhabit Tribal Lore, but they are not part of the 'Great Beasts'. They are just lesser creatures who existed in and around that time. Therefore 'Sojourn' or whatever he may be recognised as. not a Great Beast as Alpha Fans know them. IMHO.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!