Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvel Atlas #2 of 2

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    thanks Loki for those pages. I did not read everything but I saw that Belmonde first name was corrected. Thanks. But, you know the provincial capital of Québec is Quebec City not Montreal.
    I didn't write the entry, and no, I personally wasn't aware of that. I'll pass it on to the writer though.

Good issue, very detailed information...more detailed then it properly has to be haha

Just to note Carcass never appeared in Canada, instead Alpha Flight fought him in the Land of the Dead.

Also, Carcass is misspelled as "Cracass" (unless he's been hanging out in Vancouver's East Side, I don't think "Crack A**" is too much of a threat...)
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

On the corrections, see my comment above.

Glad you like it though.

I just bought Marvel Atlas #2, and appreciated the entry for Canada. It was very well-written and researched. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    Earth X Companion - which I swear was solicited for Sep 2007 and I never saw it. Well, it's 7 months late and I'm still excited to see it. Alpha Flight may appear (they did in the original Earth X series)
    Yeah, it dropped my jaw. Alpha Flight got a full page in this amazing and important book. It's a full-page beautiful version of the sketches that I see now were badly reproduced in the appendix to Earth X #11. Oh, and it says "Canada" in red letters. Now that I see this page, it's clear to me that it should have been p38 of the original Earth X Sketchbook, but omitted from the geographical listings: p35 was the Earth X version of Britian, p36 was the Earth X version of Africa and p37 was Russia.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Well, duh, my powers of observation are sorely lacking.

Marvel Atlas #2: Mac also appears on the cover, just to the left of Wolverine's arm. I suppose I didn't see it the first time around since I only saw a little thumbnail at first in issue #1.

Love,
    rplass

Just picked up the tpb for the Marvel Atlas and happy to find an extra page for the Canada entry: two large illustrations for Alpha Flight are included now. Well, that's a big improvement!

The thing is, the two individual issues were what, $3.99 each, I think, and the tpb is $14.99 so it really never appealed to me to buy a tpb for what was really $7 more than the sum of the two issues cost. Never really thought it made sense to buy a tpb at such a premium to the original two issues. I know, math is hard. But with the extra content now it's a bargain at twice the price! Or half-off, if you had a coupon like I did.

Love,
    rplass

Half-off twice-the-price? Hm...
    Support Artists, Not Companies! Creator-owned comics are where the real art is at!

My new website! http://lifelessordinarywebnovel.com/home.html Follow my super-powered web-novel adventures, "Life Less Ordinary"!

Twitter (1) = @RealWyldeChild
    Twitter (2) = @lifewebnovel

FaceBook = https://www.facebook.com/realwylde.child or search for me at " Life Less-Ordinary "

Also 'occasionally' ranting Alpha Flight related stuff at http://canadas-own-the-flight.blogspot.com/

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Just picked up the tpb for the Marvel Atlas and happy to find an extra page for the Canada entry: two large illustrations for Alpha Flight are included now. Well, that's a big improvement!
    Cool! What Alpha Flight? From v4, or Byrne, or something between?

The thing is, the two individual issues were what, $3.99 each, I think, and the tpb is $14.99 so it really never appealed to me to buy a tpb for what was really $7 more than the sum of the two issues cost.
    That makes sense, but for whatever reason I never really think about it that way. It's just 'I like the convenience of a trade, I'll get one'.

~ Le Messor
    "It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good too, to check up once and a while and make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy."
    ~ George Horace Lorimer

My memory is one Byrne image of Guardian and the other a Talisman image from Omega Flight or MCP. I will edit later when I have it in front of me. Can't be v4 silly. 2008 thread bump.

And the reason why you don't usually consider the trade cost vs. individual issues is because usually they are the same total cost, or a slight discount.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

My memory is one Byrne image of Guardian and the other a Talisman image from Omega Flight or MCP.
    Cool! Go the Byrne!
    (And Talisman looked good in Omega.)

Can't be v4 silly. 2008 thread bump.
    I wondered... but I didn't know when the trade was released.

And the reason why you don't usually consider the trade cost vs. individual issues is because usually they are the same total cost, or a slight discount.
    That's probably true for most people, but for me this is something that I binary-think: 'Do I want it? yes/no. Can I afford it? yes/no.'
    In my thoughts I never compare it to the floppies. If I found a five-issue limited at $0.50 each in a bargain bin, and the trade for $10, I'd probably buy the trade without thinking about it.

~ Le Messor
    "You can not feed the hungry on statistics."
    ~ Lloyd George

OK! Actually there are FOUR new illustrations, not two. Two of them have Alpha Flight members in it and two are just buildings.

Illo#1 is an image taken from Alpha Flight #1 of Guardian rising in flight from Parliament Hill and is captioned, "Parliament Hill, Ottawa". Seems to be what the building actually would look like from that angle.

Illo#2 is an image taken from Omega Flight #2 of the exterior of the Royal Ontario Museum. Oddly, it was neatly captioned in Omega Flight #2, but not captioned at all in the tpb. Weird. Just looks like any old building without the caption. Also seems to be what the building actually looks like.

Illo #3 is an image taken from Omega Flight #5 of Talisman getting off the bus at the Sarcee site and is captioned, "Sarcee Reservation, Calgary" It's also sort of self-captioned in that the image has a sign in it saying "Sarcee Nation"

Illo #4 is an image from Alpha Flight #7 of the fictional Southbrook Mall, captioned "Winnipeg". This mall does not actually exist, so it's pretty cool they included it in the Marvel Atlas, seeing as how it only exists in the Marvel Universe. That was where Delphine Courtney recruited Alec Thorne (Smart Alec) into Omega Flight.

The complicated schematic of the Omega Flight HQ is also reprinted the same with the exception of slightly more readable captioning on the map in the upper right.

It really is an improvement visually over the "floppy" because the original was just a wall of words and now it's broken up with interesting images familiar to Alpha Flight fans.

Also corrected is the above-mentioned Provincial Capital of Quebec to Quebec City (from Montreal) but the typographical error noted above was not. Cracass is still a Crack-Ass.
    Last edited by rplass; 02-19-2013 at 07:35 AM.