Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Alpha Flight weekly Reading Club on the Byrne Forum

Great sadness. Alpha was never this good again.

I particularly liked the scene with the team and the Beyonder all together in the Edmonton Mall. The contrast between Snowbird's narrow-eyed look in one panel, and her shocked expression in the next, (when Talisman slaps her father), is one of my favorite moments in the series. (Poor Shaman, though.)

Thank you, Ryan, for taking us on this wonderful stroll down memory lane. I'll miss the weekly AF Reading Club, and I think the other members will, also. Thanks for your good job with this.

I recall being very bummed that Byrne was leaving back then (what year was that...84, 85? I can't read the date on the cover and I'm at work, so I can't look at my issues)...I so enjoyed those first 28 issues.

I also clearly remember after a couple of Bill Mantlo's issues, I was thinking...WTF?!

I didn't mind the Hulk fight, Scramble or Heather putting on the suit, but the Puck revelation was flipping mind-boggling, since it totally contradicted what Byrne had already put in writing about Eugene. I had loved Mantlo on the Micronauts (and Rom)...I just had a hard time believing this was the same writer.

Thanks for these past 28 weeks, Ryan.

Dana

Edited to add Rom to my Mantlo-love.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Birdy, Yay solidarity!

I was thinking about 'The Blooding' recently... I wondered if I could get notes on it from James Hudnall (he was the writer, right? is he the same guy who forgot it?) so I could use them to make my Alpha Flight movie.
    I can dream can't I?

I figured it'd introduce Marrina and the tier system, and probably get Stitch killed (the name does not bode well).

I've just picked up 'FX' because of Byrne (despite my earlier comment about not following creators, I'm going on a Byrne kick at the moment... want to pick up the FF visionaries stuff...) Haven't read it yet, but who knows? There may be a new classic.
    Would that mean he'd hate it?

- Le Messor
    "Fatalism is... Ah, forget it."
    - The T-Rex

Le Messor, I got "FX", also. It's a cute concept, but I still like AF best. (Well, what can I say? I'll always be prejudiced! )

I hadn't thought of "The Blooding" in awhile, but the other day, I started wondering what the story would have been about and who would have been in it. Wolverine, Mac, Stitch, Birdie, and Smart Alec, most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Birdy, Yay solidarity!

I was thinking about 'The Blooding' recently... I wondered if I could get notes on it from James Hudnall (he was the writer, right? is he the same guy who forgot it?) so I could use them to make my Alpha Flight movie.
    I can dream can't I?- Le Messor
    "Fatalism is... Ah, forget it."
    - The T-Rex
    If I remember correctly, 'First Flight' was written by Furman and Lobdell (or they were both associated with it). The blurb that mentioned 'The Blooding', led me to believe that they would be associated with it.

All that said, Furman couldn't recall anything about it.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!