Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Presents

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    sales are not so good.
    I'm shocked....Not really.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Default Weapon Omega prts 1 & 2

**SPOILERS AHEAD***

What's that song Olivia Newton John sang ' Let's Get Negative'?

I've only read the first two parts of the Weapon Omega story (courtesy of King Mungi), but I somehow get the impression that people are letting the subject matter and characters in the MCP story cloud their judgement. How else can you explain someone saying they are not surprised something has low sales without actually having seen the product. It would be interesting to see their reasoning in making such a statement. Lot's of people seem to have an opinion on this matter, but not many seem to have actually read the subject matter.

In my opnion it's a pretty good story. Nicely constructed and paced. Non of this 6 page crap with minimum dialogue. Lot's of stuff going on and the story actually makes me want to go back and find out what's gonna happen next. Some one mentioned that the art was bad, but to my mind art is subjective. One mans Picasso is another mans Damien Hirst, I'm not overly fond of the art, but it's better than anything I could do so who am I to criticise. The writing and characterisation is where this story is strong.

Tentakill - The villian in this would seem to be just there to highlight the problems Pointer is having. Looking like the Bastard Offspring of Nekra and Diablo he definately looks like he might give Caliber a run for his money, but would prolly get battered by Frogman.

Strange Lady - Appears at the beginning of the story. I get the impression that we are seeing a bit of a throwback to Clarkes Department H. The impression I get is that Dept H is being run or manipulated by some very shady characters. At the end of part 1 it would seem that the lady is possessed by someone/thing and from the look of her face, it's either Jodie Kidd or Pestilence. Then I thought, maybe she's a mutant or latent mutant and she's being used to power Pointer, like a sentient battery that is being slowly drained.

Agent Brown - Obviously not the decent kinda fella we saw in the pages of Omega Flight. I get the impression that he is devious little snot, if he's willing to hold people captive and decieve Pointer the way he is then he's not all he was cooked up to be in OF.

US Agent - I kinda think that he knows that Brown ain't all he's made up to be and just maybe Stark realised that when he put Walker into OF. Pushing Walker and Pointer up against Tentakill was more than just a way to test Pointer, maybe Brown wants Walker out the way and the Tentakill episode was an attempt to get rid. Pointers powers did go down at a very opportune moment and Brown could have a way of controlling that and that's why he manipulates Pointer into believing that's why he has to keep the suit on?

Pointer - Could have been a lesser character under a doifferent writer, but this man is a mass of Neurosis. He likes the Power, he hates the Power, he see's the Power in him as almost a sentient entity acting as a parasite in his body. He questions why it leaves him at all the wrong times almost as if he is dependent on it. Then he despises it because of what it made him do. He even killed his own family under it's influence. The psychiatrist he is seeing describes the suit as some kind of security blanket, Agent Brown would seem to be reinforcing this. At the end of part 2 Pointer says that the Power makes him feel good som times, that doesn't bode well.

As a side note, Pointer when talking about the Power says "That he knows that it was responsible for what happened to his family and how it made him kill all those people. Alpha Flight is not included in that, but he describes that incident as 'What He Did To Alpha Flight'. Almost as though their fate was seperate to the mass killing he participated in, although unwillingly.

Pointer has so many different problems, but to portray that in a story takes good writing, Koslowski to my mind does it well. This story has 80 pages to go and I'm gonna be reading it to it's conclusion. I think it should be judged on it's merits and not it's percieved concepts, anyone who judges otherwise is losing out on a good story. Just my opinion.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Weapon Omega and Marvel Comics Presents

Read MCP# 3. Wish tptb would settle on whether the code-name is "Weapon Omega" or "Guardian." Really wish Agent Brown looked like Agent Brown from the OMEGA FLIGHT mini-series. And I really, really wish we saw Sasquatch and Arachne taking down a boat-load of badguys!

Geez, I want Northstar and Aurora to return just like all the rest of the Alpha Flight characters that we aren't sure got bumped off, but having just read that Mike Carey is leaving the X-Men coupled with a not-so-spectacular guest-appearance in MCP# 3 suggests that the Alpha/Omega Flight characters aren't going to be used well when they appear.

I hope I'm wrong about that, since Marvel still has capable talent [I picked up New Warriors for the Zodiac and the artist is great!], but the people who seem to have a good understanding of Alpha Flight (and who actually seem to like the characters) keep leaving!

I hope MARVEL focuses on Pointer for the remainder of the series and leave Sasquatch and the other members of Alpha Flight out of it so Rich can do what he intends to do with the featured character he has inherited. I'm in for one more issue (to see the conclusion of the Hellcat story), but nothing else (not even VANGUARD, which is distinctly stylish in its storytelling) will make me stay once Ka-Zar shows up.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Weapon Omega prts 1 & 2

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    **SPOILERS AHEAD***

I don't believe she sang any such song...And you're being awfully thin-skinned, Del.

I've only read the first two parts of the Weapon Omega story (courtesy of King Mungi), but I somehow get the impression that people are letting the subject matter and characters in the MCP story cloud their judgement. How else can you explain someone saying they are not surprised something has low sales without actually having seen the product. It would be interesting to see their reasoning in making such a statement. Lot's of people seem to have an opinion on this matter, but not many seem to have actually read the subject matter.
    Realizing the current market can't support such a "product" has nothing to do with reading/seeing it.

In my opnion it's a pretty good story. Nicely constructed and paced. Non of this 6 page crap with minimum dialogue. Lot's of stuff going on and the story actually makes me want to go back and find out what's gonna happen next. Some one mentioned that the art was bad, but to my mind art is subjective. One mans Picasso is another mans Damien Hirst, I'm not overly fond of the art, but it's better than anything I could do so who am I to criticise. The writing and characterisation is where this story is strong.

Tentakill - The villian in this would seem to be just there to highlight the problems Pointer is having. Looking like the Bastard Offspring of Nekra and Diablo he definately looks like he might give Caliber a run for his money, but would prolly get battered by Frogman.

Strange Lady - Appears at the beginning of the story. I get the impression that we are seeing a bit of a throwback to Clarkes Department H. The impression I get is that Dept H is being run or manipulated by some very shady characters. At the end of part 1 it would seem that the lady is possessed by someone/thing and from the look of her face, it's either Jodie Kidd or Pestilence. Then I thought, maybe she's a mutant or latent mutant and she's being used to power Pointer, like a sentient battery that is being slowly drained.

Agent Brown - Obviously not the decent kinda fella we saw in the pages of Omega Flight. I get the impression that he is devious little snot, if he's willing to hold people captive and decieve Pointer the way he is then he's not all he was cooked up to be in OF.

US Agent - I kinda think that he knows that Brown ain't all he's made up to be and just maybe Stark realised that when he put Walker into OF. Pushing Walker and Pointer up against Tentakill was more than just a way to test Pointer, maybe Brown wants Walker out the way and the Tentakill episode was an attempt to get rid. Pointers powers did go down at a very opportune moment and Brown could have a way of controlling that and that's why he manipulates Pointer into believing that's why he has to keep the suit on?

Pointer - Could have been a lesser character under a doifferent writer, but this man is a mass of Neurosis. He likes the Power, he hates the Power, he see's the Power in him as almost a sentient entity acting as a parasite in his body. He questions why it leaves him at all the wrong times almost as if he is dependent on it. Then he despises it because of what it made him do. He even killed his own family under it's influence. The psychiatrist he is seeing describes the suit as some kind of security blanket, Agent Brown would seem to be reinforcing this. At the end of part 2 Pointer says that the Power makes him feel good som times, that doesn't bode well.

As a side note, Pointer when talking about the Power says "That he knows that it was responsible for what happened to his family and how it made him kill all those people. Alpha Flight is not included in that, but he describes that incident as 'What He Did To Alpha Flight'. Almost as though their fate was seperate to the mass killing he participated in, although unwillingly.

Pointer has so many different problems, but to portray that in a story takes good writing, Koslowski to my mind does it well. This story has 80 pages to go and I'm gonna be reading it to it's conclusion. I think it should be judged on it's merits and not it's percieved concepts, anyone who judges otherwise is losing out on a good story. Just my opinion.
    It still sounds like a bad story about a terrible character and your description of it does nothing to make it sound any more appealing, Del...Just my opinion.

Dana

Well, I like MCP. I knew I would from the beginning and I haven't been disappointed. I'm going to get all 12 issues, no doubt.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

MCP is what MCP is, a collection of stories to see if new writers can write. The art is fine though Agent Brown should look more like he was created. The story is an extension, so far, of what OF left us with so I guess that's not bad. Nice to hear Sasquatch is back to being a hero and beating up the bad guys.

If a new Flight series is in the offing someday soon (Brevoort and Quesada have been awfully quiet for weeks and weeks...) then I doubt that we'd want to see a longer hiatus for the team.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    **SPOILERS AHEAD***

I don't believe she sang any such song...And you're being awfully thin-skinned, Del.
    I think the song was actually 'Let's Get Physical'. I was just playing with words, humour eh? You either get it or you don't. As for being thin skinned, I ain't actually all bent out of shape about the negativity, just thought it a bit strange considering how many people have not bothered to read MCP. Still if you perceiving me as thin skinned gets you through the day, who am I to quibble?

Much Snippage... I think it should be judged on it's merits and not it's percieved concepts, anyone who judges otherwise is losing out on a good story. Just my opinion.
    It still sounds like a bad story about a terrible character and your description of it does nothing to make it sound any more appealing, Del...Just my opinion.

Dana
    We're all entitled to an opinion, you think it's a bad story, I think it's a good story. Such is the way of the world.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I bought and read the first issue, and though the Omega story wasn't HORRIBLE and was decent, It wasn't enough to constitute buying an entire comic for a few pages because honestly, the rest of the stories were not good at all, so It isn't all Omega Flight, because that story was decent, but everything else being crap made the book as a whole not worth my money

**SPOILERS AHEAD***

I think the song was actually 'Let's Get Physical'. I was just playing with words, humour eh? You either get it or you don't.
    Sarcasm is lost again on the internet (perhaps I should have used a :P or a after what I wrote about the song)...

[As for being thin skinned, I ain't actually all bent out of shape about the negativity, just thought it a bit strange considering how many people have not bothered to read MCP. Still if you perceiving me as thin skinned gets you through the day, who am I to quibble?
    It was the ' Let's Get Negative' and the fact that you felt the need to defend the story so vehemently (by writing the whole dang thing out) that made me think you were being thin-skinned...Silly me. :P

Much Snippage... I think it should be judged on it's merits and not it's percieved concepts, anyone who judges otherwise is losing out on a good story. Just my opinion.

Dana
    We're all entitled to an opinion, you think it's a bad story, I think it's a good story. Such is the way of the world.[/quote]

Okay then...Good story starring a terrible character...Is that better? :P

He was a no-name, throw-away character created by Bendis to host the Collective for his crappy story...Bendis didn't even have any interest in writing the character after it was done, why should he be even used again...let alone dressed up in the uniform of a man he killed, representing a country he isn't even a citizen of and not to mention...Being a frikken' vampire who sucks the life out of others? Ugh!

Dana

I thought I was writing a breakdown of the story as no one seemed to be reading it, didn't think for a minute that any one would misconstrue that as being defensive. As you say the problem with the internet is that what you mean isn't necessarily what is conveyed by what you write.

As for good story, bad character ? I still think it's a good story about a well rounded character, but again, different strokes for different folks.

As for part 3 of the story. Again a good read and a little more intrigue regarding what Brown is up to. I would do a breakdown, but wouldn't want to come across as defensive or anything , the last thing we want on the Alphawaves is talk about a story with an Alphan appearing in it, God forbid ! (look a smiley).

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #6
    Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM, CHRISTOS GAGE, ROBERT VENDITTI, RICH KOSLOWSKI
    Penciled by DAVE WILKINS, JOYCE CHIN, JEREMY HAUN, ANDREA DIVITO
    Cover by DAVE WILKINS
    CAPTAIN AMERICA leaps into action in WWII—and the Sentinel of Liberty’s actions affect not just the fighting troops—but even a man judged unfit for combat! Plus—KA-ZAR and SHANNA bring together the tribes of the SAVAGE LAND to fight a common foe…but how long can they stay united? Meanwhile, Detective STACY DOLAN tracks down a wanted terrorist—one she thought she already put behind bars—and an unexpected guest star reveals his link to the mystery of the VANGUARD. And finally—Michael Pointer, the GUARDIAN, has been hearing things…things he does not want to hear…in WEAPON OMEGA.40 PGS./Rated A …$3.99
    Del

I thought I was writing a breakdown of the story as no one seemed to be reading it, didn't think for a minute that any one would misconstrue that as being defensive. As you say the problem with the internet is that what you mean isn't necessarily what is conveyed by what you write.

As for good story, bad character ? I still think it's a good story about a well rounded character, but again, different strokes for different folks.

As for part 3 of the story. Again a good read and a little more intrigue regarding what Brown is up to. I would do a breakdown, but wouldn't want to come across as defensive or anything , the last thing we want on the Alphawaves is talk about a story with an Alphan appearing in it, God forbid ! (look a smiley).
    Huh?....Which Alphan are you referring to?

Dana

That would be that Sasquatch fella who first appeared in UXM #120. I would, at a push mind you, catergorise him as an Alphan. Then again who am I to say?
    Del

Ah...Sassy's guest appearance.

Yeah that's the one, cos it said on the front 'Guest Starring Sasquatch' didn't it ?
    Del