Thread: Why does Joe Q...

Default Why does Joe Q...

..hate Alpha/Omega Flight?

Could it be that he loves DC?

After all, in Joe Q's reign as EIC he has made the Marvelverse very U.S.-centric, with U.S. teams and U.S. citizens fighting to bring U.S. values to the universe, not just the U.S. That's DC's schtick, Made in America heroes and stories.

You look at DC and that's all there is, U.S. teams fighting to protect the U.S. and make the rest of the universe like the U.S. Except, maybe, Green Lantern Corps.

That's what Joe Q is doing to Marvel. Excalibur is more and more American, they added several Americans to Omega Flight... I think Joe Q is a huge fan of Justice Society of America et al! That's why he hates Alpha Flight!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

It certainly seems that way. Maybe you should post the question on his site (when the boards have been moved to the new server and are up again) or on Cup o' Joe @ Newsarama. Though I would suggest you post the question in a more tactful way.

Ah well, by the time I could post such a question Toronto Con should be over. Then, either way, we'll know the answer to the question. Hopefully Marvelites will have their heads screwed on straight and start Toronto Con with a big "Alpha Flight" promotion, with artwork and all.

One can hope, 'cause that's all there is.

And looking at the schedule for Toronto Con, I see nothing that would give us answers on Friday, Cup of Cebulski on Saturday at 3:00 in Room 713A, Exploring the Marvel Universe 2:00 on Sunday in Room 717. That's all I can see.

Rebooting Reboot and Zero 2 Hero (A Canadian comic talent search thing) are also at Toronto Con. Not Flight related, of course. Marvel also is running a talent search called Chester-Quest.

But all I care about is the news of a Flight ongoing!

So it looks like Saturday's Cup of Cebulski announces ongoing plans, or we all start talking about the post-Joe Q Alpha Flight.

Good luck getting straight answers, to all of those of you who can make it. And to Ben, hope work and home are going well, you are awfully busy and I know you can't have time to track down info. Hope all is well!

Live it.

Maybe he thinks Alpha Flight needs some yankees in it to make it interesting for the US market?

Quote Originally Posted by SasqFan
    Maybe he thinks Alpha Flight needs some yankees in it to make it interesting for the US market?
    That's the gist of some speculation for why BRB, Arachne and Agent were on the team in the first place.

anyone going? maybe someone can ask the question.

Soooooo excited for the new Reboot. Like, so excited. That show was a fantastic, beautiful, mess.

I was suprized how they ended Reboot with Megatron taking over Cybertron

I liked Reboot, apparently at Toronto they'll announce who gets to write the next chapter.

Cebulski was the top dog from Marvel at Expo Con last year, so is it positive news (karma) that he's back?

Ah, my pragmatic hope....

Live it.

Why do people think that it's Quesada's personal 'hatred' ?

Well, for me Joe Q's attitude when questioned about AF at cons and on his old board and etc. was always a bit jerky and vague at best. Compared to his more positive and often faithfully positive honest answers to questions about other titles/characters.

It's very tiring to ask him or other top Marvel execs questions like, "Will there be an ongoing?" and get these answers:
    - "Who said anything about an ongoing?"
    - "Alpha Flight has never done well and won't sell."
    - "There is no fan base for a Flight comic."
    - "The last two/three attempts did not sell well/were not supported well."
    and so on....

I'm not saying Joe Q necessary 'hates' the Alpha Flight concept, but after the dismissive and often inaccurate answers, Torres/Lobdell debacle, killing of AF, and downgrade of OF, what can one think??

After all, if the CEO of GM says "no, no, no" to a new Corvette model, it will never be produced. If Marvel doesn't produce an AF/OF ongoing but does produce poor sellers like She-Hulk and Ant-Man and even Runaways AND then creates a new New Warriors ongoing plus two ripoffs of Academy X in Avengers, it isn't because of sales or fan response, it's personal preferences ruling the day.

Having worked in publishing I know the score; the top editor(s) don't like a story, it won't run come heck or high water.

Live it.

I don't know that its Alpha Flight in particular, Joe Q. comes of as generally contemptuous of his customers and fans in much of what he posts, regardless of which characters they happen to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Quote Originally Posted by SasqFan
    That's the gist of some speculation for why BRB, Arachne and Agent were on the team in the first place.
    You forgot Michael Pointer, who happens to be an American as well (Just disquised in a Canadian flag costume....GRRRR!).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Why do people think that it's Quesada's personal 'hatred' ?
    I think he dislikes the characters...Mainly due to the fact that, whenever they're brought up to him (in interviews or in the form of fan-questions at conventions)...He makes jokes about them, puts them down or gives snarky replies. I've never heard him/read of him saying anything giving respect to the characters or thinking they are anything more than jokes.

It's not very respectful of long-time characters owned by the company he supposedly works for.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!