Thread: Black Arm-Band: Loss of a Genius

Default Black Arm-Band: Loss of a Genius

This past weekend, the comic book world lost yet another great artist in Mike Weiringo. Known for his work on Fantastic Four, Flash (Mike was co-creator of "Impulse") and numerous other comics, Mike died suddenly of a heart attack over this past weekend at the age of 44.

I didn't follow Mike's career too closely, but I am aware of his talents, having seen them not only online but in numerous comics over the years. As an artist, I always appreciated his clean, crisp lines and how he could take the most gritty piece and add a flavour of colour even before the inks dried.

According to his personal blog site, Mike was a huge supporter of the ASPCA and Hero Initiative. Anyone wishing to contribute to these causes in his name would be much appreciated.

Newarama Story Covering Mike's Passing
    Mike Wieringo's Blog Page includes fantastic art by Mike
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

What an absolute loss. I enjoyed Mike's work on Impulse way back when, and have followed him to a few titles, simply because he worked so well with Mark Waid, but also because of his bold, dynamic artwork which was part Manga, part animation, but always his own.

He will not be forgotten. The industry must be in such shock at the moment.

I am in utter shock at this news. I mainly am familiar with his work on FF. For anyone let alone someone so talented to pass at such a young age is an utter crime. My thoughts are with is family and loved ones.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.