Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine #55 Preview

Right...Many a story has been written where Creed was proud of being more animal than human...He relished slaughtering anyone and anything, if he thought it would be fun. This whole story made no sense.

If Sasquatch is able to lift almost 100 tons (Hulk-class strength), wouldn't he easily be able to rip Sabretooth's arms or head off in a second?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Right...Many a story has been written where Creed was proud of being more animal than human...He relished slaughtering anyone and anything, if he thought it would be fun. This whole story made no sense.

If Sasquatch is able to lift almost 100 tons (Hulk-class strength), wouldn't he easily be able to rip Sabretooth's arms or head off in a second?

Dana
    Creed gets off on slaughter, but he's been listening to too much My Chemical Romance and decided that death is better than being animalistic (yea, I really bought into that, not...).

As for Sas, what can I say, Loeb used him for some reason and made him a loser against Sabretooth, although he can theoretically rip him a new one without breaking sweat.

Total twaddle from start to finish.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Can someone double check this fact for me?

Before Wild Child's appearance in this story arc, the previous time we saw him was the re-enactment of his depowerment on M-Day in New Excalibur #9, right?

I'm wondering how he went from tiny, grey, bald, mute and depowered to "The New Sabretooth". Did Romulus fix him up and re-power him?

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67

Dana
    Sasquatch is easily class 100, he has lifted that weight many times, and yes yes he should have. He even ko'ed Wolverine in 2 hits in the past.

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Re-read the storyline today as I found a dead cheap HC.
    Even years later it doesn't stand up.

Sas' appearance and beat down by Wild Child.
    Whild Child alive in 1942.

Pure pointlessness.

It makes me wonder what roads Way's Origins would have gone down had Loeb not written out Sabretooth and intrdoduced Romulus.

The Wild Child appearance in 1942 was in issue #54. I read and re-read that so many times, and the only way my brain can even come close to not exploding is by latching on to three theories:
    1) We're talking about the complete scrambled egg memory of Logan here. It's the most unreliable thing ever. It cannot be taken seriously for even 1 second.
    2) Right after the sequence ends... he's aboard T'Challa's plane waking up. It was a dream the whole time
    3) It was Romulus taking the form of Wild Child as a placeholder, a device used by the writers to delay having to show Romulus' face for a few more issues

Overall, I'm just not convinced that Kyle was really there in 1942. It just doesn't make sense.

Love,
    rplass

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Time travel?

This was written by Jeph Loeb. The problem I have with him is, he's an average writer - who keeps getting treated like the next ByrneClaremontMille/a/rMoore whoever. He has at least two Absolute Editions to his name (I believe? Hush and Long Hallowe'en), and isn't worth even one; he just isn't that good. He isn't bad, either. Nor does he stand out as sleazy the way the Mills and the Moores do; he really doesn't stand out at all.

And yet, people treat him like a superstar. What's up with that?

- LM
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    ~ Napolean Bonaparte
    Last edited by Le Messor; 03-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    This was written by Jeph Loeb. The problem I have with him is, he's an average writer - who keeps getting treated like the next ByrneClaremontMille/a/rMoore whoever.
    Not by comic readers, at least not recently. His runs on Wolverine and Ultimates are pretty universally derided as total dreck. And yet... he's still writing Ultimate books and creating legions of stupid red hulks alongside awesome writers like Pak and Van Lente. I don't get it. D:

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    Not by comic readers, at least not recently. His runs on Wolverine and Ultimates are pretty universally derided as total dreck. And yet... he's still writing Ultimate books and creating legions of stupid red hulks alongside awesome writers like Pak and Van Lente. I don't get it. D:
    Not by the more vocal comic readers. For the people who just want disposable entertainment that allows them to turn off their brains and still enjoy, Loeb seems to work just fine, and that's more than enough reason for Marvel to keep hiring the man. The issue I have with Loeb is that turning off the grey matter to enjoy his work seems to be more necessity than option, but I have my own guilty pleasures when it comes to entertainment, so I can't throw too many stones.

Images

Like I said, average. Which is no reason to not keep hiring him, but it's really no reason to treat him like a superstar.
    Or is he actually dipping toward stupid? I haven't read all that much of his work, so I don't know for sure. Okay, certainly the Wolverine issues of this thread were dumb (cat people are lupine?!? really? You're lumping Sasquatch in with the lupine mutants? (and, yes, that's how I interpret it, and yes, it's that dumb)); and Hush was so mind-numbingly obvious that the only shock for me was that they actually took a vote on who we thought Hush was...

Still, he's no Akiva Goldsman.

- Le Messor
    "Go ahead, Giles. Do it. Tell me to kill my sister."
    ~ Buffy

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Like I said, average. Which is no reason to not keep hiring him, but it's really no reason to treat him like a superstar.
    Or is he actually dipping toward stupid? I haven't read all that much of his work, so I don't know for sure. Okay, certainly the Wolverine issues of this thread were dumb (cat people are lupine?!? really? You're lumping Sasquatch in with the lupine mutants? (and, yes, that's how I interpret it, and yes, it's that dumb)); and Hush was so mind-numbingly obvious that the only shock for me was that they actually took a vote on who we thought Hush was...

Still, he's no Akiva Goldsman.

- Le Messor
    "Go ahead, Giles. Do it. Tell me to kill my sister."
    ~ Buffy
    I've actually read a fair bit of stuff of his that I really liked, but none of it's been in the last five or so years. I know it's probably a really terrible thing to say, because it was obviously a tragedy and crazy sad and would shatter anyone, but I honestly think the death of his son may have broken him as a writer. His Wolverine stuff and Ultimates stuff were not just mediocre, I read a lot of mediocre comics, these were mind-bogglingly bad. I read issue #600 of the Hulk after having completely checked out after Planet Hulk (soooo good) and it's like he's deliberately telling the dumbest stories he can and winkingly knowing that people will eat it up anyway because hey, it's the Hulk.

Images

Ooh (wince)... I forgot about that.

It's like Bill Mantlo; we all know how bad his AF run was, but considering his life, you've gotta feel sorry for him - it'd take a complete unprintable with a heart of stone not to. And it does help explain for me why people in the industry -- people who know him, in other words -- are being so supportive.

From my point of view, though, I don't know Jeph Loeb, I don't know his tragedy, I've never met his son and never will. All I can deal with is the stories he produces, and that's what I judge.
    So while I do feel sorry for him, I still say he's average at best.

All that said, I'm counting by The Long Hallowe'en (among other things), which I believe predates his son's cancer. A telling example for me was when I read The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told: I came up to the chapter ofThe Long Hallowe'en reproduced therein, I couldn't remember it at all; not even a twinge of familiarity, and I'd bought (and read) The Long Hallowe'en graphic novel not that long before - within a year, I think. A recent issue of the normal series (also in the graphic novel), I still remember well, if only for the Marxist punchline ("There is no sanity clause!").

Hmm... all this comes across like I'm being defensive about what MistressMerr said above, when she wasn't 'attacking'. I'm not, exactly, just laying down my POV within the (new... ish) information.

- Le Messor

The Mantlo comparison's a pretty good one, and it all just comes down tot the point that you can hate on a creator's stuff all you want, but when it becomes a personal thing, it just gets weird and uncomfortable because, hey, they're people too with their own lives and it's not like we really know them (unless that person is Ed Brubaker, because I hate that guy and am also an enormous hypocrite).

But yeah, back to Loeb, his colour stuff for Marvel (Spider:Blue, Daredevil:Yellow, etc.), while extremely overrated, was still really cool, I thought. And his 90s X-stuff! There wasn't a whole lot of it, and it probably falls into that mediocre category you were going on about, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. I think the last thing of his I liked was that Catwoman mini he did, but maybe I'm just biased because I friggin' love Tim Sale's art.

OK Wild Child in 1942 is addressed in his OHOTMU HC #13 entry. There's a little note at the end of his entry that mentions Wolverine's untrustworthy memory (as I suggested) and time travel (as Le Messor suggested) as two possibilities to explain it.

Also I posed a question earlier in this thread about his repowerment. The same entry says that he "lost his mutant powers" but "retained his genetically enhanced abilities". What the heck does that mean? Aren't "mutant powers" the same as "genetically enhanced abilities"? It's an unsatisfying explanation.

Love,
    rplass

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    OK Wild Child in 1942 is addressed in his OHOTMU HC #13 entry. There's a little note at the end of his entry that mentions Wolverine's untrustworthy memory (as I suggested) and time travel (as Le Messor suggested) as two possibilities to explain it.

Also I posed a question earlier in this thread about his repowerment. The same entry says that he "lost his mutant powers" but "retained his genetically enhanced abilities". What the heck does that mean? Aren't "mutant powers" the same as "genetically enhanced abilities"? It's an unsatisfying explanation.

Love,
    rplass
    Heh, gotta love it when even the handbook people just throw up their hands and admit something makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the powers, Kyle went through all sorts of hinky genetic tinkering by all sorts of people over the years. I guess losing his base mutant powers didn't change all the alterations that had been made TO his mutant powers.