Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbolts

Default Thunderbolts

I started reading Thunderbolts from issue #110. Warren Ellis is writing (one of my favorites) and Mike Deodato is drawing (Also one of my favorites). If you have not yet checked out this book. Please please do. It is probably one of my favorite books out ATM. Besides featuring some great D-List heroes like Jack Flag, Steel Spider, and American Eagle. Ellis and Deodato are crafting a great tale full of Epic action scenes, all kinds of impending back stabbing within the group, and alot of great villians reminding us of why it is so much fun to be bad. The current line up is Venom, Bullseye, Moonstone, Swordsman, Songbird, Radioactive Man, Penance(formerly Speedball) and Norman Osborn acting as the director of the team.
    You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.
    Songbird: Why?
    Venom: So I can lick out their hearts.

Lion-O's 2nd Cousin Alpha Flight

I totally agree with you man. Thunderbolts (and Omega Flight) got me picking up Marvel books again. Ellis is on his A-Game presenting us with dispicable or morally ambiguous characters. The internal conflicts, the c-list heroes and the questionable sanity of their director is all top notch. This is what Weapon X started out as but could not keep go the distance. Ellis and Deodato's run is a hat-trick in my book; great writer, great artist, great concept.

I'll give Civil War/The Initative this much, we've had some super concepts spin out form it. Cap's Death, Thunderbolts revisioned, Omega Flight.
    The world is NOT getting more Alpha Flight! Tweet me you twits! @DaVeO52

Default Re: Thunderbolts

Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Penance(formerly Speedball)
    Say what? This is a new revelation to me. I don't read the book but that is one hell of a twist.

Default Re: Thunderbolts

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfense75
    Penance(formerly Speedball)
    Say what? This is a new revelation to me. I don't read the book but that is one hell of a twist.
    Yeah they changed him alot. Besides having spikes on the exterior of his armor. He has a spike for every person killed in the Stamford disaster in the INTERIOR of the armor that are constantly raking at his skin. His powers are now activated and charged up by pain. The more pain he feels the more power he generates. So far its been a bit unclear what he can channel the energy into. But so far we have seen energy blasts with devasting effect and some super strength as well.

Venom: I want to bite their heads off and shove my tongue down their neck holes.

Another interesting character is Swordsman. He was one of the 2 Fenris twins. The twins used to be able to make contact with one another and generate energy blasts. His sister died sometime ago and it devasted him. Since that time he has taken up the mantle of the newest Swordsman and is very good with a blade. Here is his interesting twist. He had a piece of his sisters skin dried out and wrapped his swords hilt with it. He now has the ability to generate the energy blasts through his sword the same way he and his sister did by making contact. Behind the scenes Norman Osborn is kinda blackmailing Swordsman. He has the ability to clone his sister for him but will not until his obligations are met.

That sounds cool. Might have to start reading it.

yeah i'm gonna check it out too..
    Fight For The Flight
    Daz

For anyone that does decide to pick this book up try and start from issue #110. They are up to issue # 114 ATM. Some other reading that might help is Civil War: Choosing Sides and the Civil War: The Initiative one shot. If you have trouble obtaining these back issues. Check out Midtowncomics.com. That place is my back issue heaven. Besides both those issues having Thunderbolts stories they have great Omega Flight stories in them as well. Enjoy.

i've just read #110-111, and I thoroughly enjoyed them! I picked up Frontline #10 to get more background on Penance but I might have to grab those other issues you've mentioned Dfense75 for more insight, thanks for the heads up guys!
    Fight For The Flight
    Daz

My pleasure. Glad you enjoyed them

Some of the Thunderbolts also show up in Nova #2 on the last page. Looks like #3 is going to be a bit of a battle. Penance is amongst the T-Bolts who turn up, Robbie Baldwin use to play off well against Nova, gonna be interesting to see.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I've read #112-114 and it's getting even better! Also read Nova #1-2 this morning, not quite as good as the Annihilation run but still pretty good, can't wait to get my hands on T-Bolts #115 and Nova #3.. There will obviously be a decent run in with the two ex-new warriors, more Penance in both hopefully! So glad to be reading more new comics, previously only reading OF and Gunslinger, not really getting into civil war/initiative at all but now i'm pretty up to date!
    Fight For The Flight
    Daz

Just read Nova#3. Quite a jump for the T-Bolts going from fighting D-List heroes to Nova. It was a fun issue and good to see them take on someone with a decent power level. I thought it was funny that they acknowledged he was a class 12 power lvl and not to be underestimated. Yet only 4 of the team showed up to stop him. The interaction between Nova and Penance wasnt more than a conversation. However it did give us another look into just how messed up poor Robbie Baldwin has become. His story of redemption should be a good one.

To this point the teamwork has not been there for the T-Bolts. To be honest thats one of the points I enjoy about this book. Seeing this team find itself and struggle to beat the weakest of heroes has been fun. It should make for some nice stories seeing this team come together. That is...unless Moonstone's plotting against Norman Osborn doesnt come to fruition first.

Yeah, where was Songbird? I'm assuming Bullseye was just waiting inside Zeus for the heads up to come and play but she was no where to be seen.. Looking forward to reading Desperate Measures, and see if Jenkins gives more of an insight in Penance.. Has anyone read the Zemo- Born better run? Good/Bad?
    Fight For The Flight
    Daz

Just finished Zemo: Born Better. I really enjoyed it. Its basically a history of the Zemo lineage. The whole thing was done like the show Quantum Leap. It had Zemo time hopping through major events in his families history. This was basically my first expierience with Zemo. It was a good read and has me wanting to find some older Thunderbolts stories to see this guy in action. Plus, just seeing the way this guy works...you have the feeling hes gonna show up in the main T-Bolts book sometime in the future.